Options

O2 now offering unlimited European roaming data for £2 a day.

2»

Comments

• Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Spain I've never even able to access vodafones network roaming with orange or O2
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Unless of course your on Vodafone in the UK

Yes, should've made that clearer!

O2 and EE won't connect to Vodafone in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy or Australia. Probably other countries as well.
    I guess either Voda charge an excessive amount for access, or the other brands simply don't want their customers using Vodafone??
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steffangl wrote: »

O2 and EE won't connect to Vodafone in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy or Australia. Probably other countries as well.
    I guess either Voda charge an excessive amount for access, or the other brands simply don't want their customers using Vodafone??

Or simply that you negotiate with certain suppliers and don't have the time to go out and set up an implement relationships with absolutely everyone. Most network coverage overlaps and in some cases is even network shared anyway. If you have a couple of roaming partners there's really no need to unnecessarily get more on-board, there's no additional benefit at all really.

It also leaves things open for companies to re-negotiate from time to time which helps keeps prices down and potentially change roaming partners. I guess a lot of these deals are 2 way, so it also depends on what other companies negotiate on for the UK and potentially some will want lock in agreements or exclusivity for preferential rates etc. There won't be every supplier agreeing to things like 'like home' or Euro internet pass, those will be more unique deals I'd have thought.

I really don't see it as a big issue as coverage on roaming partners has never once been an issue in all the places I've travelled. I think I've only seen 1 person on the forum find only 2G roaming was available in Romania from memory on Three, but aside from that I can't really think of complaints about roaming coverage.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    It was limited to a few meg per day, where you had to pay another £1.99. Barely enough to use Google Maps if you are out exploring all day without paying more. Now you will only have one £1.99 charge per day.

It's been £1.99 per day for ages. I used it in Portugal last month :)
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes the change this week has been to call it unlimited, even though it only includes 50 megs of streaming before throttling kicks in and only allows basic browsing.
  • Options
    samtheqtsamtheqt Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    steffangl wrote: »

Three should connect to Vodafone Australia, but I would imagine that's only because Vodafone and Hutchison 3G merged in a 50-50 split, so there's some history. I'm heading off to Oz next Friday, so I'll find out...along with my Feel At Home ;)

Last time I was there and I took my O2 phone, it went onto Telstra, but then I cant say I tried to roam. I rang home when I arrived and got my mums voicemail which cost me £3 straight away and promptly turned it off and bought a local sim. Should be easier this time.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well they've got less than 18 months before the EU wide ban on roaming charges comes into effect so suppose there'll be more reasonable rates charged prior to that happening (reportedly Dec 2015)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_roaming_regulations

more food for thought for those who want us out of the EU :p

They'll just push the costs up on UK domestic usage, because that isn't regulated by Brussels and conveniently increases roaming revenue anyway.

e.g. Vodafone, who announced UK price rises at almost the same level by which the EU had forced them to decrease EU roaming by, at the same time.

Personally I'd prefer to have the lowest possible charges where i use my phone 99% of the time, instead of subsidising travellers. EU roaming costs are of little interest to me.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samtheqt wrote: »
    Last time I was there and I took my O2 phone, it went onto Telstra,

I wonder if Telstra is blocked for any UK (or any other) roamers.

There are remote parts of Oz that only Telstra cover, and cover at 3G only.

My lad is there backpacking. He started off on the coast with a local SIM on Vodafone,
    but then moved into a remote part of Queensland for a few months. Got a local Telstra SIM, but that still wasn't good enough, he needed a phone that supported 3G on I think 800 MHz ?, which my unlocked Sony Xperia I'd given him, didn't support (he needed the Asia/Pacific version of it !) He got himself a cheap basic Telstra branded phone.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

I don't know when it changed, but certainly when I was in Italy in March I sometimes had multiple £1.99 charges in the same day after I used my allocation.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    O2 Travel Data Service

A daily charge of £1.99 will be applied automatically on the days that you use data in the selected destinations.
    There's no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, but we'll slow down the service if you reach an assumed fair usage amount in order to manage traffic on the network. This will be more than 100MB of general data or more than 50MB of streamed video or audio data (the "assumed fair usage amounts") in a day . Audio and video streaming are available with O2 Travel but the quality of the audio/video will be optimised for a mobile device. The speed available for file transfer, online gaming, peer to peer downloads and network back-up services is restricted and may not work with O2 Travel.
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Yes the change this week has been to call it unlimited, even though it only includes 50 megs of streaming before throttling kicks in and only allows basic browsing.

Not according to the poster above. Is he wrong or are you just choosing to ignore his post?
  • Options
    Carl_BoysCarl_Boys Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    maybe we can hope Three may reduce there £5 unlimited or what i would prefer is a 4day pass, 7 day pass, 10 day pass and 14 day pass all at diff bundle prices but cheaper than the £5 day over the period, say £13 for 4 days. also i would pay more with Three because ive had no issues using 300mb a day in europe.
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    I wonder if Telstra is blocked for any UK (or any other) roamers.

There are remote parts of Oz that only Telstra cover, and cover at 3G only.

My lad is there backpacking. He started off on the coast with a local SIM on Vodafone,
    but then moved into a remote part of Queensland for a few months. Got a local Telstra SIM, but that still wasn't good enough, he needed a phone that supported 3G on I think 800 MHz ?, which my unlocked Sony Xperia I'd given him, didn't support (he needed the Asia/Pacific version of it !) He got himself a cheap basic Telstra branded phone.

3 pay monthly customers can Roam on Telstra & Vodafone Australia but pay as you go customers ONLY have access to Vodafone.