Options

Martin O'Neill for Republic of Ireland job?

EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Speculation is rife in the Irish media this evening that O'Neill will be unveiled as new ROI boss early next week. It's not clear whether he has actually agreed to the role or if talks or at a very advanced stage, but it sounds like it's close enough to a done deal at this point.

If confirmed, he should be in charge for the friendlies against Latvia and away to Poland this month,

Comments

• Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard he was in the running for the Crystal Palace job!
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the best choice for Ireland, but I was hoping he might be the pair of safe hands to take over at Norwich if we sacked Hughton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I heard he was in the running for the Crystal Palace job!

He was but turned them down yesterday morning apparently (which has partly fuelled the Irish speculation) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leewich wrote: »
    Probably the best choice for Ireland, but I was hoping he might be the pair of safe hands to take over at Norwich if we sacked Hughton.

He certainly would / will be an interesting choice for Ireland. I'd be intrigued to see what ideas he would bring to the table and which members of the current extended squad he would favour.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope to god not, man is vastly overrated IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow's UK tabloids are reporting that O'Neill wants Roy Keane to be his assistant manager (!) That would be a hell of a big news story in Irish football :eek::D

Edit : Story appears to be true. Irish and British broadsheets now reporting that Roy Keane will be Martin's assistant manager with the Republic. We're heading into interesting times :)
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see two Irishmen back in charge of the Irish team.

International soccer management for a small country like Ireland isn`t rocket science.

You pick your best players, you give them straightforward instructions, and you send them out to play.

All the rest of it is bollox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Great to see two Irishmen back in charge of the Irish team.

International soccer management for a small country like Ireland isn`t rocket science.

You pick your best players, you give them straightforward instructions, and you send them out to play.

All the rest of it is bollox.

Perhaps the two most famous Irishmen in British football....one as a manager and the other as a player. They definitely would be a box office managerial team.
  • Options
    Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd be good to see O'Neill in charge of the Ireland team, I liked Trapattoni but O'Neill would probably be the next best person for the job.

I hope the rumours about Keane aren't true though because his attitude towards the team during the 2002 World Cup was unforgivable. Besides, he's just an idiot. Great player, but the man really doesn't know much about football and isn't cut out for that sort of role.
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's hopeless.

Pat Fenlon would be a better choice.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good thing if Keane is made assistant coach is, we wont see his ugly mug, at england internationals on ITV anymore
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Assistant Manager is a role that Keane will be better suited for ?

He clearly didn't cut it as a manager so maybe it might actually work if he doesn't have the ability to lay down some of the ridiculously OTT rules he apparently did when he was in charge of Sunderland and Ipswich.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Assistant Manager is a role that Keane will be better suited for ?

He clearly didn't cut it as a manager so maybe it might actually work if he doesn't have the ability to lay down some of the ridiculously OTT rules he apparently did when he was in charge of Sunderland and Ipswich.

Keane would be a very divisive figure as the first team manager, but working under O'Neill might be a different matter and make him more acceptable to everyone. There's speculation that another assistant may also be brought in to take charge of coaching on the training ground......perhaps O'Neill and Keane would work as the two big motivators in a good cop / bad cop routine.
  • Options
    Manc-RedManc-Red Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super happy if this happens - At least we'll play with a bit of grit for a change.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have trouble imaging Roy Keane being happy for long as someone's assistant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I have trouble imaging Roy Keane being happy for long as someone's assistant.

Apparently though O'Neill has a good relationship with Keane going back years and it is MON's decision to bring him on board the Irish management setup. Keane is certainly a bit of loose cannon but it will be fascinating to see how the two of them work as a pair and with O'Neill as the boss.