Mummifying Alan: Egypt's Last Secret

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
I just watched this programme on 4od, don't know if there are any other threads about it?

I found the programme left me mostly feeling touched, especially with Alan's voiceover while the camera was resting on his body, but I also swung through feeling horrified, sick (at the shots of maggots/decomposing bodies), sad, amazed, and by the end I was really routing for the team and for the process to be a success. I thought the final outcome was amazing.

Anyone else seen this? What did you think of it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just me? :o
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched it and thought it was fascinating. The programme makers handled the subject with great sensitivity and thoughtfulness. It was good that the mummification was successful too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I watched it a few weeks ago. Found it fascinating from a scientific point of view but it also left me feeling unsettled. I don't often think about death but seeing Alan's body on a slab and watching the decomposition process makes you realise that it comes to everyone one day. I am glad I watched it though, was very interesting and the end result was just like the Egyptian mummies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme makers handled the subject with great sensitivity and thoughtfulness.

Yes, that's what made me think it was such a wonderful programme. :) The lady working on the project was such a warm person.
    Found it fascinating from a scientific point of view but it also left me feeling unsettled. I don't often think about death but seeing Alan's body on a slab and watching the decomposition process makes you realise that it comes to everyone one day.

I found that seeing his body, especially with the voiceover, was deeply upsetting. He was obviously a lovely man and I felt like a child who wanted him to climb back into himself and just somehow wake up. But it was also fascinating and I think it's healthy to involve yourself in the reality of life.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this programme when it was repeated the other week and found it fantastic.
    It was amazing to watch them mummifying Alan and the process.
    I admire him for allowing his body to be used for the experiment as not many people would do this.
    My daughter was disappointed that they did not remove his brain though as it was part of the original process but other then that it was fantastic.
    There should be more shows like this instead of the boring cookery and home hunting shows we are bombarded with.