Options

Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,706
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    ...the ones who did it here are the mother/daughter pair, so they are the cheats. Rather ironic that they are the ones who accuse others of cheating.

To be honest I don't think that was the case. I think they took their venue and their pricing and used that as the benchmark regardless of where or what else was on offer.
    They thought their own B&B was comparable to The Flower Pot even though the rooms were more basic and there was less on offer and they didn't take into account a seaside location either. I think they played it reasonably straight by their own criteria, but their criteria was flawed.
    Agree with you totally. I don't see the point of it - they aren't there to bond they are there to assess each others businesses. You don't go to a B&B/Hotel expecting the owners to take you out on a jolly :D

We've been saying that all week. It's not right to show them bonding, doing activities and dining together. The hosts should suggest things for their guests to enjoy in the area and be judged on the kind of things they put forward. It'd be more of a reflection of what could happen in a real life situation.
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    The activity needs to be dropped for starters, instead there could be a couple of minutes showing the local area, and the rest of the time should then be given to more time inspecting the room and much more time concentrating on breakfast, I want to see each meal and hear from each person.

Short of DNA testing the pubes found, it would be hard to give even more time to inspecting the rooms.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Pierre was 'well up himself' too. Snide man. If Pierre's sidekick really thinks that a 'feature wall' will help differentiate a property he needs to refer back to his copy of Interior Decor for Dummies. A good breakfast spread will differentiate / be memorable though... :D
    No one covered themselves in glory this week.

Those two certainly showed a different side to themselves. I went right off them, but I do still think there were tensions between this group that didn't get to play out on screen and yes, agreed, no one did cover themselves in glory.

My choice was The Mariner, at least what you saw was what you'd get. I've checked out their website too ;-) (sorry that wink looks a bit self satisfied, which isn't what I intend) Despite the less than ideal road (get it diverted!) it looks very good value and they have a lovely self catering apartment with a balcony. It looks very well done.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think that was the case. I think they took their venue and their pricing and used that as the benchmark regardless of where or what else was on offer.
    They thought their own B&B was comparable to The Flower Pot even though the rooms were more basic and there was less on offer and they didn't take into account a seaside location either. I think they played it reasonably straight by their own criteria, but their criteria was flawed.
    Er, no, it is not flawed criteria, but cheating. You cannot judge something by an inferior standard and claim it is the same standard as others. Their rooms were clearly of poorer quality to the others in the competition - for example the room they gave to French guy was depressing-looking with no apparent view (and they had the gall to complained about the view to a supermarket in other people's room, then underpaid because of that). They also had poorer facilities. It's astonishing when they claimed that their rooms are not much different to others when the rooms of the others were clearly superior with better facilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    Short of DNA testing the pubes found, it would be hard to give even more time to inspecting the rooms.:o

You might have hit on something. Jeremey Kyle could do the voice over :p
    Er, no, it is not flawed criteria, but cheating. You cannot judge something by an inferior standard and claim it is the same standard as others.
    ... It's astonishing when they claimed that their rooms are not much different to others when the rooms of the others were clearly superior with better facilities.

That's what they did, but I don't think they did it only to achieve a win. I think they believe what they said to be true and therefore not cheating.

Lots of contestants have done similar. You get some place at the back end of beyond saying they're better value because they include free parking when they're comparing with a major city centre or somewhere like Stratford on Avon where pricing is an entirely different game and parking is like hens' teeth.
    They think because they provide a bed and pillows it's the same as a £xxxx mattress and the highest quality linens - hence the comment 'bacon is bacon' - I so need an eye rolling smiley for things like that.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    That's what they did, but I don't think they did it only to achieve a win. I think they believe what they said to be true and therefore not cheating.

My point is that they cannot believe it to be true and be honest about it. Their rooms are smaller, have no place to sit or any table, furnishing are of cheaper quality, and with no particularly good views. They can only consider their room to be of same quality as others only if they intended to cheat.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did the Flower Pot come? Missed this week's completely....
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this a surreal joke? On the snails and slugs would be my guess.:blush::blush::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last.

Oh no!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no!!!

They were under paid unfairly for silly reasons. Game playing at large today.
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    . I appreciate that you get all the further information from the external booking site, but what I said is that the lack of information on the hotel's own website holding page didn't encourage me to click through and find out for myself. I just find it a very disappointing half hearted presence.

We're at cross purposes because I wasn't suggesting they had to have a fully functional and operational website, I said that the lack of information didn't give me a good impression.
    I have booked places which use this system, but there was a better webpage to whet my interest. I did circumvent the booking site and ring direct, it was their choice whether to take my booking or request that I used the other channel which I would've done if that's what suited them. I'm not talking about a site that has to be regularly updated and maintained, just one that gives a better impression if they're going to have anything at all.

Granted though I understand that not all business is generated by people looking at an individual property's own web presence. I'm just surprised that someone like Jo doesn't find a good page a useful business tool for very little cost. It may not have a high ranking on a page of search results but it's there on Trip Advisor.

Very interesting exchanges between the ever professionally-insightful Solar and Normandie. In truth, I have only ever used a booking site to book a B&B which did not have its own website in sheer desperation, having left it too late. And it was only for one night. It's to do with attention to detail and doing as much as possible to show that you put effort in your guests' optimal enjoyment of their stay. I wonder if we are talking about different kinds of customers altogether. I also confess to pedantry when viewing what is written on the website: again, it's all attention to detail. If I remember correctly, The Mariners' copy was very good. Again: it's attention to detail = detailed attention to guests.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,647
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »
    Oh! Jo lied before then.
    I liked Jo's place best and think she could have won without 'upgrading' the breakfast, which was excellent anyway, by all accounts. Personally, I don't think the addition of danish pastries & yoghurt granola were good additions anyway, i wouldn't have wanted either. Did she win by default? She was marked down because the terrible twins thought she was lying, so maybe not. By the way, there is a difference between magnolia and soft cream because i have soft cream on my walls in preference to any other in the neutral shade range - there IS a difference!
    The activity needs to be dropped for starters, instead there could be a couple of minutes showing the local area, and the rest of the time should then be given to more time inspecting the room and much more time concentrating on breakfast, I want to see each meal and hear from each person.

Totally agree with all of this, but since when did the viewers preference win against production mischief making? rollseyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were under paid unfairly for silly reasons. Game playing at large today.

Well at least people can see through such pettiness and can make their minds up whether a place is worth visiting or not. Not just because someone won a plaque or whatever it is nowadays
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't win by lying. Nobody paid more because of the granola! If anything she lost herself the chance of 100% as the two women probably would've paid in full if there hadn't been the breakfast lie issue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've given up trying multiple quotes :(

Re: Who is the mother and who is the daughter?

I thought the second stay was a kind of gift to viewers on the part of the producers because when they parted for the night one woman clearly said: 'Goodnight, Kel' and the other 'Good night, mum'.

If you look closely it is pretty obvious who's who; however, the mother is prettier and does not have the daughter's under-eye bags. Having said that, what matters and what they left us with is an impression of their character, and not a brilliant one.

Re: This show

Is it just me or this series was much shorter? It seems that even the producers are losing the will to live...

I've noticed that this series' prices weren't so vastly different as we have seen in previous series. I wonder if that was a conscious tweak that they were trying out.

They should simply read this forum and take heed, otherwise just kill it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrong thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Re: Who is the mother and who is the daughter?

I thought the second stay was a kind of gift to viewers on the part of the producers because when they parted for the night one woman clearly said: 'Goodnight, Kel' and the other 'Good night, mum'.

If you look closely it is pretty obvious who's who; however, the mother is prettier and does not have the daughter's under-eye bags. Having said that, what matters and what they left us with is an impression of their character, and not a brilliant one.

Re: This show

Is it just me or this series was much shorter? It seems that even the producers are losing the will to live...

I've noticed that this series' prices weren't so vastly different as we have seen in previous series. I wonder if that was a conscious tweak that they were trying out.

They should simply read this forum and take heed, otherwise just kill it off.

BsIB, I do hope the daughter doesn't read this forum, how can she take heed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree on the assessment of the rooms Alex. I just think they failed to take into account that the facilities others provided were making that much of a difference.
    Let's face it, it is a different league.
    They said themselves they don't have guests who need to work in their rooms, they come in, dump their bags and go down the pub. They don't think much about bacon as they don't sell enough breakfasts to make it a consideration - they were the only place to quote a room rate ex breakfast and I reckon that a wonky rail is just as much somewhere to hang your clothes as an antique wardrobe purchased at vast expense (in their eyes, not mine)

I may well be wrong, but I believe that they're in their own bubble and genuinely think that their product stacks up in the same price bracket.

ICanBeBothered, thank you for your kind comment. To multi quote, as you go along, you just click the middle button, next to 'Quote' of posts you read and when you press Reply, they will all be there. You can delete any bits you don't need as long as you leave the [ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE] tags in place (without spaces)

Thanks for the update AFT :)

Is anyone going to watch Coach Trip?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree on the assessment of the rooms Alex. I just think they failed to take into account that the facilities others provided were making that much of a difference.
    Let's face it, it is a different league.
    They said themselves they don't have guests who need to work in their rooms, they come in, dump their bags and go down the pub. They don't think much about bacon as they don't sell enough breakfasts to make it a consideration - they were the only place to quote a room rate ex breakfast and I reckon that a wonky rail is just as much somewhere to hang your clothes as an antique wardrobe purchased at vast expense (in their eyes, not mine)

I may well be wrong, but I believe that they're in their own bubble and genuinely think that their product stacks up in the same price bracket.

ICanBeBothered, thank you for your kind comment. To multi quote, as you go along, you just click the middle button, next to 'Quote' of posts you read and when you press Reply, they will all be there. You can delete any bits you don't need as long as you leave the [ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE] tags in place (without spaces)

Thanks for the update AFT :)

Is anyone going to watch Coach Trip?

HiSS,

Definitely up for CT and look forward to the possible new voting rules. :)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know who the cheats are by looking at the payments. The ones who underpaid everyone are usually the cheats, and the only ones who did it here are the mother/daughter pair, so they are the cheats. Rather ironic that they are the ones who accuse others of cheating.

:confused: There was underpaying by all the contestants. Actually I thought Simon & Pierre's £10 underpayment to the old times was the worst as it was already the cheapest place this week and there was no outstanding reason for it. Jo's £1 per hair was OTT too, given she had to strip the bed to the mattress to find it.
    For me I think the Flowerpot men came off worst this week - very keen to dish it out but completely blind to the very valid criticism of that step. Strangly the smaller steps are easier to trip over and, as was mentioned upthread, it could easily have been corrected with a slope. Simon was way to opinionated on decor too - overpersonalization only appeals to those whose tastes co-incide with yours mate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BsIB, I do hope the daughter doesn't read this forum, how can she take heed?

As you know, Hoppy, I was referring to the producers when I wrote about 'taking heed'.

I did feel a bit mean about pointing out some obvious physical differences between the two 'Old Timers', but in truth I have been thinking this every time I have seen them on this programme, which has been a lot this week. I'm sure much worse has been said. The two ladies' main problem, as so often happens in 4iaB, is the way they have come across because of their personalities and opinions. The Mariners' Pat is no supermodel, yet on me she left the impression of a lovely, intelligent woman with a wicked sense of humour. Incidentally, I thought their comment about the step was spot on: I cannot imagine many people keeping their eyes fixed on the floor as they walk. A sudden drop in level is bound to be unexpected and balance-challenging.
  • Options
    fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Strangly the smaller steps are easier to trip over and, as was mentioned upthread, it could easily have been corrected with a slope. Simon was way to opinionated on decor too - overpersonalization only appeals to those whose tastes co-incide with yours mate!

I stayed in a B&B a few weeks ago with a similar step in the bathroom. Maybe it was there to encase the pipework, I don't know, but I stubbed my toe on it twice and stumbled on it three times.
    I didn't complain, cos like many a Brit, I apologised to the floor and felt it was my own fault for not noticing it... even in the dark in the middle of the night. I even left a 4-star review on Trip Advisor without even mentioning the step. I know I will feel very guilty if anyone falls down it in the future and fractures their spine, so... I might have retrace my steps (so to speak) to mention it. Thanks FIAB!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks, Solar: it will come in handy in the next series of FinB, IF there is another series, that is.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do agree with you 2shy2007, particularly about dropping the pointless activities section but would agree with hoppyuppy also that we see too much room inspecting. I don't think even an AA inspector would go to the lengths the contestants are seemingly encouraged too. :o
    We haven't had it so much this week but I also wish the narrator would stop referring to contestants as 'B&B professionals'. Perhaps its done in order to encourage us into thinking that opinions they have are worthy of respect and admiration, when normally they aren't. Harmless TV show or not, they're not professionals, they're just B&B owners with no actual training or expertise whatsoever in assessing whether a place is really value for money or not.

It used to completely frustrate and mystify me also but its very easy once you've learned how. Practice a bit. It'll enhance your DS forums participation experience! :D ;-)
This discussion has been closed.