Will the Tories pretend to care about the cost of living crisis they help to create a

124»

Comments

• NonaNona Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Why do you think you are not getting the market rate ?

I know that I'm not the person this was aimed at, but public sector workers don't get the market rate, the pension provision was supposed to help with this but that's been eroded over the years, thanks to the myth of the "gold plated pension".

I'm a local government officer, and I could earn more in the private sector, with all manner of perks I don't get now. As it happens, I like my job and am happy, which means more to me than the money.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nona wrote: »
    I know that I'm not the person this was aimed at, but public sector workers don't get the market rate, the pension provision was supposed to help with this but that's been eroded over the years, thanks to the myth of the "gold plated pension".

I'm a local government officer, and I could earn more in the private sector, with all manner of perks I don't get now. As it happens, I like my job and am happy, which means more to me than the money.

Do you count green pencils ?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Do you count green pencils ?

Were do you get these stupid ideas from, that public sector workers are on great pay and do nothing for the wages.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nona wrote: »

There are no local government officers in the private sector
  • NonaNona Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no local government officers in the private sector

So what? Just because I'm a local government officer now, I'm not limited to that.

Anyway, there are, because lots of councils have outsourced their work to private companies, or shared services that will one day become private companies.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I disagree
    Wait, so you're aware that the pie chart has been fudged to include non-welfare items in with welfare, yet you base your opinion on it anyway? It would have been better to admit being gullible than dishonest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think you are not getting the market rate ?

It's called basic research dear....

In the private sector I know with my skills I can be earning £6000 - £8000 a year more pa.

We also have a recruiting problem as we don't pay people market rate.

I've worked in both private and public sector at various stages throughout my career, and I prefer to be helping people by working in the public sector, then helping to make money for a corporate arsehole.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've worked in both private and public sector at various stages throughout my career, and I prefer to be helping people by working in the public sector, then helping to make money for a corporate arsehole.

If it wasn't for the private sector making profits there would be no public sector.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the private sector making profits there would be no public sector.

A statement which has no relevance to what I've been talking about....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait, so you're aware that the pie chart has been fudged to include non-welfare items in with welfare, yet you base your opinion on it anyway? It would have been better to admit being gullible than dishonest.
    I based my post on the information I received. They did not tell me it was a fudge.
    It's called basic research dear....

In the private sector I know with my skills I can be earning £6000 - £8000 a year more pa.

We also have a recruiting problem as we don't pay people market rate.

I guess that job satisfaction is more important then.
    A statement which has no relevance to what I've been talking about....
    Never the less it is true.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? And if there was no public sector there wouldn't be much of a private sector. Imagine how well a private sector economy would function with no military defence, no hospitals, no education, no police, no prisons, no infrastructure.

I had the misfortune of working in the public sector for a local authority in the early 1990s. The people i worked with were lovely and quite switched on but the office itself including all its IT equipment was 20 years out of date - falling to bits desks, bright orange 1970s tile carpet and IT so out of date it caused huge inefficiencies and resulted in us receiving many abusive phone calls a week. Public sector can't increase the council tax just to modernise their offices. I left and went to Uni and now work in the private sector.

If the public sector was so great financially why aren't we all queuing up to work there. Almost every job exists in the private sector from painter or electrician to architect or lawyer..... at a lower wage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    Really? And if there was no public sector there wouldn't be much of a private sector. Imagine how well a private sector economy would function with no military defence, no hospitals, no education, no police, no prisons, no infrastructure.

I had the misfortune of working in the public sector for a local authority in the early 1990s. The people i worked with were lovely and quite switched on but the office itself including all its IT equipment was 20 years out of date - falling to bits desks, bright orange 1970s tile carpet and IT so out of date it caused huge inefficiencies and resulted in us receiving many abusive phone calls a week. Public sector can't increase the council tax just to modernise their offices. I left and went to Uni and now work in the private sector.

If the public sector was so great financially why aren't we all queuing up to work there. Almost every job exists in the private sector from painter or electrician to architect or lawyer..... at a lower wage.

But the fact remains that the Private sector pays pays for the Public Sector. However, when Labour are in power, the Private sector and massive borrowing pays for the public sector.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Were do you get these stupid ideas from, that public sector workers are on great pay and do nothing for the wages.

Just having a look a my local councils website

Street Scene Operations Manager 40K

"galvanise a large workforce and take the service through redesign proposals for the next stage of our journey to Great."

"ensuring consistent, proactive and flexible public realm services are delivered, within budgets."

:confused:

I think it is someone to supervise the street cleaners
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the fact remains that the Private sector pays pays for the Public Sector.
    That's funny considering how heavily dependent the private sector is on public sector funding. Everything from the infrastructure to education to scientific research to legislation and law enforcement and public order. The public sector is the main provider to the private sector of the environment in which to live and flourish and resources to exploit. To claim the private sector pays for the public sector is to imply the public sector is some parasite on the private sector when the private sector lives in and off the public sector. Society is a partnership between private sector and public sector a symbiotic relationship.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? And if there was no public sector there wouldn't be much of a private sector. Imagine how well a private sector economy would function with no military defence, no hospitals, no education, no police, no prisons, no infrastructure..

Yes, that just shows that we need both public and private sectors. One cannot exist without the other. To have good public services we need to have tax money to spend and that comes from customers spending, people working and companies making profits in the private sector. Of course public sector workers pay taxes too but they are only giving the government some of their pay back.

Yet there are some people who seem to think that profit is a dirty word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Just having a look a my local councils website

Street Scene Operations Manager 40K

"galvanise a large workforce and take the service through redesign proposals for the next stage of our journey to Great."

"ensuring consistent, proactive and flexible public realm services are delivered, within budgets."

:confused:

I think it is someone to supervise the street cleaners
    If it is like where I live the job would involve supervising many hundreds of people and far more than just street cleaners. And as well as managing a staff or many hundreds it would also cover tendering and awarding various contracts and works.
    Street Scene Operations Manager
    Parks grounds maintenance, parks, playing fields, open spaces, nature reserves, trees and hedges and grass verges along pavements and in public places,
    Street Cleansing, car parks, graffiti removal, fly tipping, public toilets, litter, public bins,
    Cementaries maintance and burials,
    Pavement and public foot paths and public spaces including street furniture.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    If it is like where I live the job would involve supervising many hundreds of people and far more than just street cleaners. And as well as managing a staff or many hundreds it would also cover tendering and awarding various contracts and works.
    Street Scene Operations Manager
    Parks grounds maintenance, parks, playing fields, open spaces, nature reserves, trees and hedges and grass verges along pavements and in public places,
    Street Cleansing, car parks, graffiti removal, fly tipping, public toilets, litter, public bins,
    Cementaries maintance and burials,
    Pavement and public foot paths and public spaces including street furniture.

I watched in amazement a few weeks back, when a neighbour who has had an extension built (having waited for 8 weeks for them to turn up) had the council arrive to "drop" some kerb stones, to provide access to a new driveway.

If this work had been done by a private contractor, (not allowed in my area) all it would have taken would be two men, a pick-up and probably an hours work. But instead an army of 7 different vehicle types and crews arrived on mass, within seconds of each other (they had no doubt been camped in a local cafe prior to this). They arrived at 8 and left at 3!

They left construction detritus all over the surrounding area (concrete dust, sand, mud etc.) and deep ruts on the previously neat grass verges that they parked their various trucks and diggers on. No doubt another team would be dispatched to "make good" at some future date.

I just stood in disbelief, shaking my head, muttering to the dog "no wonder we pay so much council tax".

To me, this was the epitome of the sort of waste that is typical in the public sector.
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I watched in amazement a few weeks back, when a neighbour who has had an extension built (having waited for 8 weeks for them to turn up) had the council arrive to "drop" some kerb stones, to provide access to a new driveway.

If this work had been done by a private contractor, (not allowed in my area) all it would have taken would be two men, a pick-up and probably an hours work. But instead an army of 7 different vehicle types and crews arrived on mass, within seconds of each other (they had no doubt been camped in a local cafe prior to this). They arrived at 8 and left at 3!

They left construction detritus all over the surrounding area (concrete dust, sand, mud etc.) and deep ruts on the previously neat grass verges that they parked their various trucks and diggers on. No doubt another team would be dispatched to "make good" at some future date.

I just stood in disbelief, shaking my head, muttering to the dog "no wonder we pay so much council tax".

To me, this was the epitome of the sort of waste that is typical in the public sector.
    Yes the private sector doing public sector contracts are alot better are they? The government has become too dependent on a handful of "quasi-monopoly" private sector contractors to provide public services, MPs have warned.

The Public Accounts Committee said the fact Whitehall departments continued to award work to Serco and G4S while they were under investigation for overcharging highlighted the problem.

It said ministers had placed "too much trust" in a small pool of large firms. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30399245
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yes the private sector doing public sector contracts are alot better are they? The government has become too dependent on a handful of "quasi-monopoly" private sector contractors to provide public services, MPs have warned.

The Public Accounts Committee said the fact Whitehall departments continued to award work to Serco and G4S while they were under investigation for overcharging highlighted the problem.

It said ministers had placed "too much trust" in a small pool of large firms. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30399245

No, not what I said and in no way related to my post. But in any case I believe that the private sector will always operate more efficiently than any council-run dept.
    Forum Member
    No, not what I said and in no way related to my post. But in any case I believe that the private sector will always operate more efficiently than any council-run dept.

But there is no evidence to back this up that private sector will always operate more efficiently, than public sector departments, the only reason the private sector get involved with government contracts is to make money from them, not to run them more efficiently.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the fact remains that the Private sector pays pays for the Public Sector. However, when Labour are in power, the Private sector and massive borrowing pays for the public sector.

It is a two way street.

Both fund each other.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You've not heard of Compulsory Competitive Tendering then? Its been around since the times of Thatcher. So depending where you live you were probably watching the private sector changing those kerbstones. In my local authority a private company called Colas carry out that sort of work. Probably with such nice profits buit in they can afford to send out the number of people you saw.
    Forum Member
    You've not heard of Compulsory Competitive Tendering then? Its been around since the times of Thatcher. So depending where you live you were probably watching the private sector changing those kerbstones. In my local authority a private company called Colas carry out that sort of work. Probably with such nice profits buit in they can afford to send out the number of people you saw.

Not in this case. Liveried county council highways dept vehicles.

I doubt Colas would use any more people than they actually need. That's the whole point.

We do have private waste collections though. 3 separate crews instead of 1. But that's another matter.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Yes all MP's should have to live for a year on only the minimum wage, any found to be getting help from family or friends banned from politics until they have done it again from the start, call it a 12 month apprenticeship.

Public spending cuts should start with MP salaries.