British Comedy Awards 2014

Comments

• DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    He said 'In the words of my brother Paul in a bush by a roundabout, let's do it'.

Haha, that was pretty funny really

Only time I enjoy Ross really (Johnathon that is )

Harry Enfield was very funny
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Good show - but I didn't know half of the people/programmes that were nominated!!
    WHO nominates these people??
    I was looking for Miranda, Alan Carr, Not Going Out, Sarah Millican etc to be involved somewhere down the line.
    I have Freeview - SKY is a waste of money (IMO !!!)
    Harry Enfield deserved to win though! ("Isn't show business lovely?")
    And Brendan for doing Mrs Brown was worthy.
    Graham Norton was well-deserved - but I think Alan Carr deserved it more!!

Just my opinions....I think the judges were probably trying to be 'hip' (being old geezers that I'm sure they were!!!)
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agreed with the winners of many of the awards, with the notable exceptions of Jack Whitehall and that bloke from Mrs Browns Boys.

Wasn't the best British Comedy Awards I've seen and it wasn't helped by the fact that many of the winners did not turn up.
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Lee Mack??? WTF!! Such a consistently unfunny guy!!

You couldn't be more wrong. He is consistently funny on 'Would I Lie To You' (which also won an award) and received unanimous praise on the thread about that show.
    rhumble wrote: »
    I'm sitting here bemused at how many comedy programs that are nominated that ive never bothered to watch because they look crap

Maybe if you actually watched them, you would be in a better position to pass judgement.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 3 comedienne women, I had never heard of, although the Irish one might have been on Q.I. we must be thankful that Jo Brand didn't win anything.:o
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Pretty bland show with nothing really standing out for me. But then they've never been able to top this moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iLElHqv-w

:D:o:D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone has started a petition in response to last night's awards

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/167/903/880/get-a-comedy-award-named-after-rik-mayall
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    The 3 comedienne women, I had never heard of, although the Irish one might have been on Q.I. we must be thankful that Jo Brand didn't win anything.:o

Have you been living in a monastery for the past 5 years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the funniest thing about the programme was that people actually bothered to watch it.

What programme is this to which you refer?
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond shameful that our very own Rik Mayall wasn't mentioned, and also Robin Williams, whose work I didn't like but even I would respect his status as a comedy genius.

As for that fella off Mrs Brown's Boys getting an award?! They could give one to him for that appalling, pi$$ poor of an excuse of an (old fashioned and dated) comedy but couldn't find 1 minute for Rik? I expected a posthumous award in recognition of his work at the very least.

As for the awards, so thrilled Nick Helm won, he's amazing in Uncle and I'm really looking forward to the new series! Glad Rev won too, dry, witty and original. Delighted Miranda 'I fall over, isn't it funny' bloody Hart didn't win anything!

Can we have it broadcast live next year please!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Have you been living in a monastery for the past 5 years?

They've hardly been all over my t.v. screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, that was pretty funny really

Only time I enjoy Ross really (Johnathon that is )

Harry Enfield was very funny

Nice reference to Stewart Lee holding a grudge - "one for the room there".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor show that the film Alan Partridge ( Alpha Papa) didn't even get nominated.

I saw it on Sky box office just over 12 months ago. Shouldn't it have been on free by now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor show that the film Alan Partridge ( Alpha Papa) didn't even get nominated.

I saw it on Sky box office just over 12 months ago. Shouldn't it have been on free by now?

Having seen that film over 12 months ago might give you a clue as to why it wasn't nominated in British Comedy Awards 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen that film over 12 months ago might give you a clue as to why it wasn't nominated in British Comedy Awards 2014.

They don't always seem to confine themselves like that. And it didn't get nominated last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant to give a head up that the awards are being repeated now.

Still no one else bothered.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I assume detectorists wasnt eligible?
    Glad Rev got something, sorry Wrong Mans didnt but the clips from both really didnt do them justice. Michael Palin proving what a lovely man he is again. Harry Enfield v funny first time anyway
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Parkinson's made a right tit of herself during her speech!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't always seem to confine themselves like that. And it didn't get nominated last year.

According to this there wasn't a 'Best Comedy Film' category last year, it seems the last time they did have that category was in 2011.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why Alpha Papa hasn't been on for free yet? I was thinking they might be keeping it back for Christmas. But it seems not, as far as I can gather.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why Alpha Papa hasn't been on for free yet? I was thinking they might be keeping it back for Christmas. But it seems not, as far as I can gather.

just buy the dvd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just buy the dvd

I don't want the dvd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting watching the unknown people in the audience looking so glum and apparently antagonistic when Ross opens the event with the best bit of verbal humour you'll hear all year.

It's like they are at a funeral they didn't want to attend.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't be ars*d to watch this, but am I right in saying House of Fools won an award? Rather pleased if that's the case. And I really must try to catch Toast of London sometime. Sounds right up my street.

And you know Stewart Lee was robbed, Jefferson. You're just in denial about how much you love him.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want the dvd.

Well you want to watch it don't you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you want to watch it don't you

I do. But I don't want the dvd.