Options

Rebecca Ruled out of the trial on medical grounds........AGAIN

Comments

• Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they can't disclose someone's medical history. There might be something really personal. And there does seem to be an element of witch hunt to this. I think there were about 5 adverse posts in total on the forum last year when Colin and Rosemary couldn't do trials. When I said this before, people said it was perfectly all right for them because they were old and fat. I can't quite see this point of view. Either it is ok for IAC to recruit people who are not fully fit or it isn't. In either case it seems plain wrong to take it out on the person concerned.

No one's asking for her medical history, just for the reason she can't do the trials. If there's some reason why that can't be revealed, then I think she should not have been picked as a contestant.

With contestants such as Colin and Rosemary, it was clear enough, from their age and weight, why they couldn't do some trials. Besides, how many were they excluded from? I didn't watch that series, but so far as I can tell from Wikipedia, Colin and Rosemary were each excluded from 1 Bushtucker trial. Rebecca's already been excused from, what, 3? I really don't think they're comparable cases.

I don't think it matters all that much what people said in the past. It may be different people commenting now, and in case case people can change their minds. As I mentioned in another thread, someone young and very fit being excluded for some unknown reason may well be making it easier for people to see that there's a problem with having contestants who can't do a significant fraction of the trials.

But different people might draw a line at different points. It's not necessarily inconsistent, or due to disliking Rebecca, to think that her case raises questions that earlier ones didn't.

I think it's questionable for the show to pick celebs who can't at least attempt all of the trials. But the trials might be what ought to be different, rather than the celebs. I said somewhere that if it's like 1 trial that's the problem, and IAC really wants that celeb, they should replace that trial with one all the celebs can attempt; and I agree with those who've said there hasn't been enough variety in the trials so far this series.

Re taking it out on Rebecca, so far, it's just forum posts, not even voting for others to be saved over her. And if someone thinks the celebs should be able to do all the trials, or almost all of them, and a celeb isn't able, then that celeb will naturally feature in criticism. I think it would even be a legitimate reason not to vote to keep her in.

I'm not voting for any of them, but I'd like her to stay at least long enough to do more of the various sorts of trials and challenges; and I hope she doesn't keep being excluded.
  • Options
    BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you Veri.

I don't dislike Rebecca and if she has a medical reason for not being included in trials then of course I wouldn't expect her to risk her health.

Obviously if someone is overweight or a much older person then it stands to reason there will be some trials that you could understand would be too difficult for them, therefore they are excluded. That's completely right.

But, for me, Rebecca has been excluded now for three trials in total and we aren't even half way through the programme. Now in my opinion, whatever the reason is for her exclusion, I can't help but feel maybe it wasn't the best idea that she should have agreed or have been invited to take part in the programme.

Given her age and she's an athlete you'd expect her to be able to take part in trials and you'd hope she'd do well. However, it's reasonable to question why she's being excluded.

That doesn't mean anyone hates her.
    :)
  • Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I really thought Rebecca would have been one of the ones which you would see doing trials, so I am disappointed to find out she won't be doing any. With someone like her, an olympic athlete, I thought she would be one of the stronger contestants. It just shows how wrong you can be. I am disappointed about Rebecca so far, not her personality, but her not doing trials. If these celebs cannot do trials, then they are on the wrong show. Go onto Big Brother, if you cannot do any trials.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Rebecca's sister tweeted this yesterday from her account:

@BeckAdlington: Even we don't know what the medical grounds are. Becky was in good health when she left and definitely isn't pregnant! #imacelebrity
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Rebecca's sister tweeted this yesterday from her account:

@BeckAdlington: Even we don't know what the medical grounds are. Becky was in good health when she left and definitely isn't pregnant! #imacelebrity

this needs a question in Parliament, and perhaps an inquiry, to put the nations mind at rest and hopefully prevent it from ever happening again :(
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really thought Rebecca would have been one of the ones which you would see doing trials, so I am disappointed to find out she won't be doing any. With someone like her, an olympic athlete, I thought she would be one of the stronger contestants. It just shows how wrong you can be. I am disappointed about Rebecca so far, not her personality, but her not doing trials. If these celebs cannot do trials, then they are on the wrong show. Go onto Big Brother, if you cannot do any trials.

what about the Carol McGiffin drinking challenge, I tried that at home and after four hours I had insulted all my neighbours? :p
  • Options
    kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    what about the Carol McGiffin drinking challenge, I tried that at home and after four hours I had insulted all my neighbours? :p

I actually wouldn't mind a trial like this in the jungle to kick start the show into some kind of entertainment. So far it's been repetitive, dull, predictable, humorless and a huge letdown.

As for Rebecca? She may as well go home. Totally useless as a participant.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing against Rebecca, but why was she invited on the programme when the production team knew she wouldn't be able to take part in the trials? The trials are an intrinsic part of the show, aren't they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a tricky one.

By the sounds of the tweet from Rebecca's sister when she was hired and entered the jungle there was no barrier to her competing in any of the trials.

If this is the case then you can hardly blame the casting or trials designers.

Obviously as the reasons are medical the programme makers can not reveal the details of why she is excused. That is to say there is nothing to stop Rebecca from explaining on camera or to her campmakes if she wanted - perhaps she has and the programme makers have chosen not to air it so as to stir up controversy! It could be something as innocuous as she burnt herself or has some other kind of open wound that needs to be kept clean and dry! The assumption is that Rebecca is choosing not to share the reason, and you can't help thinking it is either something intensely private (like a pregnancy), an embarassing medical condition, or something that seems unfair (claustrophobia).

It's hard not to speculate, with older, overweight or injured contestants any 'medical pass' seemed obvious, even if we don't know the exact medical reason. With Becky it's a not apparent to the viewer, and particularly in a show such as this it irritates to feel some detail is being kept secret. Phone voting competitions should be open and transparent, having a particular contestant gain immunity for reasons unknown irkes.

She was 'cast' as a successful olympian. The viewers have a certain expectation for her role in the camp. That she is unavailable to compete in tasks, and emotionally seems vulnerable means she is not playing her role. (such as shame that she is overly concerned about her appearance and the scene comparing herself unfavourably to the beauty queen was just so depressing).

It makes me sad that Rebecca has taken to heart so much of the vile bullying about her appearance. She is no more ugly/athletic looking than say Jessica Ennis but they seem poles apart in attitude and tellingly in their post-olympic commercial success... despite Becky being the far more decorated sportswoman. I don't think it has anything to do with looks, it is about likeability and confidence.
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Rebecca retired from swimming competitions? If not, perhaps her trainer is the one who has requested she doesn't do certain trials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeanoj wrote: »
    Has Rebecca retired from swimming competitions? If not, perhaps her trainer is the one who has requested she doesn't do certain trials.

From what I've read, yes she has now retired.

• Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becky is still my favourite, and I really want to see her do a trial and get all the stars. I am not sure if it is just me, but she has seemed a bit off colour the last couple of days. There must be a genuine reason for Becky not being available for the trials and I think we should all respect this as how many of us would like our health being discussed like this?

I really can't understand why she is so insecure about her looks. I think Becky is an extremely attractive young lady and I am sure there are thousands who share this view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggeral wrote: »
    Becky is still my favourite, and I really want to see her do a trial and get all the stars. I am not sure if it is just me, but she has seemed a bit off colour the last couple of days. There must be a genuine reason for Becky not being available for the trials and I think we should all respect this as how many of us would like our health being discussed like this?

I really can't understand why she is so insecure about her looks. I think Becky is an extremely attractive young lady and I am sure there are thousands who share this view.

I think she looks fine to be honest. But if she has a hang up it's difficult to shake off.

No, of course we probably wouldn't like our health being discussed, but when you are a celebrity and enter a programme such as this folk are bound to wonder and speculate.

Her sister has tweeted she was fine before she went and is baffled herself as to these medical reasons.

Her fiancé has said she deffo isn't expecting. So folk are bound to wonder what's wrong and why she entered in the first place.

That's only human nature/curiosity. Doesn't mean anyone dislikes her.

• Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    From what I've read, yes she has now retired.

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    She's only there because Strictly turned her down this series.

I don't think her heart was ever in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Nothing against Rebecca, but why was she invited on the programme when the production team knew she wouldn't be able to take part in the trials? The trials are an intrinsic part of the show, aren't they?

Is there new news saying she won't be able to do any trials? :confused:

She's already done one, and she hasn't been except from all of the others.
  • Options
    BelligerentBossBelligerentBoss Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's got to be up the duff!
  • Options
    YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has achieved more in her lifetime so far than most people can ever imagine, the dedication, training and hard work involved in her career is mind blowing....and she's being ripped apart for not being able, a decision out of her control, to take part in a few stupid tv show games!
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Alex Salmond is promising a full enquiry into the matter if Scotland votes "yes" next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    syncage wrote: »
    It's a tricky one.

By the sounds of the tweet from Rebecca's sister when she was hired and entered the jungle there was no barrier to her competing in any of the trials.

If this is the case then you can hardly blame the casting or trials designers.

That's a good point. If it's something that's developed since she came in, then they couldn't take it into account when picking her or when designing trials.
    Obviously as the reasons are medical the programme makers can not reveal the details of why she is excused. That is to say there is nothing to stop Rebecca from explaining on camera or to her campmakes if she wanted - perhaps she has and the programme makers have chosen not to air it so as to stir up controversy! It could be something as innocuous as she burnt herself or has some other kind of open wound that needs to be kept clean and dry! The assumption is that Rebecca is choosing not to share the reason, and you can't help thinking it is either something intensely private (like a pregnancy), an embarassing medical condition, or something that seems unfair (claustrophobia).

It's hard not to speculate, with older, overweight or injured contestants any 'medical pass' seemed obvious, even if we don't know the exact medical reason. With Becky it's a not apparent to the viewer, and particularly in a show such as this it irritates to feel some detail is being kept secret. Phone voting competitions should be open and transparent, having a particular contestant gain immunity for reasons unknown irkes.

I don't think it's quite true that "as the reasons are medical the programme makers can not reveal the details" There might be some medical reasons they couldn't reveal, and perhaps that is what's happening here, but if it was "something as innocuous as she burnt herself or has some other kind of open wound that needs to be kept clean and dry", there's nothing about it being "medical" that would stop them from revealing it.

Indeed, though I haven't checked on Facebook myself, I've read a forum post that said the reason was given on Facebook and was claustrophobia. (But if that's the reason, it's strange that even Rebecca's sister is puzzled.)

When contestants in other shows I've watched have been injured, I think we've always been told what the injury is, rather than that information being withheld because it's medical; and so far as I can recall, we've always been told what the injuries in IAC were. Rebecca's reason doesn't seem to be an injury, but that we have been told what injuries were shows there isn't a blanket bar to telling the viewers medical reasons.

I can't think of any time when a contestant was exempt from a task or trial with so much uncertainty about what the reason was.
    She was 'cast' as a successful olympian. The viewers have a certain expectation for her role in the camp. That she is unavailable to compete in tasks, and emotionally seems vulnerable means she is not playing her role. (such as shame that she is overly concerned about her appearance and the scene comparing herself unfavourably to the beauty queen was just so depressing).

It makes me sad that Rebecca has taken to heart so much of the vile bullying about her appearance. She is no more ugly/athletic looking than say Jessica Ennis but they seem poles apart in attitude and tellingly in their post-olympic commercial success... despite Becky being the far more decorated sportswoman. I don't think it has anything to do with looks, it is about likeability and confidence.

Jessica Ennis is considerably better looking, at least by the usual standards, and that may well be one reason for her greater commercial success. Another reason may be that, although Rebecca has more Olympic gold medals (2 rather than 1) and more Olympic medals in total (4 rather than 1), Rebecca's golds were in Beijing in 2008, while Jessica's was in London. (Also the heptathlon is a combined event that takes place over two days and so could have more impact on people's awareness than single swimming races.)

I'm not sure why you think Rebecca is "the far more decorated sportswoman".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YULSTAR wrote: »
    She has achieved more in her lifetime so far than most people can ever imagine, the dedication, training and hard work involved in her career is mind blowing....and she's being ripped apart for not being able, a decision out of her control, to take part in a few stupid tv show games!

I don't think anyone is taking her achievements away from her at all.

The overriding question for me is, if she can't participate in a few stupid tv show games as you say, why on earth did she go in in the first place. Given it's the nature of the show to participate in stupid tv show games, it does seem rather odd does it not?

• Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Philip Schofield has his say

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s100/im-a-celebrity-uk/news/a534216/rebecca-adlington-shouldnt-be-on-im-a-celebrity-says-phillip-schofield.html

'Viewers concerned, after Rebecca is exempt from her THIRD Bush Tucker trial':eek:.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2514279/Im-A-Celebrity-viewers-concerned-Rebecca-Adlington-exempt-THIRD-Bush-Tucker-trial.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I cannot see Rebecca winning now. I know, Joey and Kian will be more likely as the winner anyway, but I feel Rebecca's chances have gone down the drain, after being exempt from THREE Bush Tucker trials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Schofield has his say

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s100/im-a-celebrity-uk/news/a534216/rebecca-adlington-shouldnt-be-on-im-a-celebrity-says-phillip-schofield.html

'Viewers concerned, after Rebecca is exempt from her THIRD Bush Tucker trial':eek:.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2514279/Im-A-Celebrity-viewers-concerned-Rebecca-Adlington-exempt-THIRD-Bush-Tucker-trial.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I cannot see Rebecca winning now. I know, Joey and Kian will be more likely as the winner anyway, but I feel Rebecca's chances have gone down the drain, after being exempt from THREE Bush Tucker trials.

Now I'm :confused:.

I thought she'd already been ruled out of three:
    Reserved wrote: »
    That's not true, is it?

She's only been ruled out of:
    Trial #3 - Up To Your Neck In It
    Trial #8 - Critters Got Talent
    Trial #9 - In Cave Danger

Or is the third of those the one that will be shown tonight (and that the Mail is calling the 3rd)?

:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »

Jessica Ennis is considerably better looking, at least by the usual standards, and that may well be one reason for her greater commercial success. Another reason may be that, although Rebecca has more Olympic gold medals (2 rather than 1) and more Olympic medals in total (4 rather than 1), Rebecca's golds were in Beijing in 2008, while Jessica's was in London. (Also the heptathlon is a combined event that takes place over two days and so could have more impact on people's awareness than single swimming races.)

I'm not sure why you think Rebecca is "the far more decorated sportswoman".

Will have to agree to disagree with you on Jessica Ennis looks. In my opinion they are both average looking girls with athletic builds. Neither is ugly, neither are fashion models - neither am I or 99.9% of the population! Jessica Ennis wears more make up more of the time (Rebecca is more often pictured without a scrap of makeup with her hair wet and red-faced so she's at a disadvantage) Far too much is made of Rebeccas looks - honestly I really don't see how she is not good looking. I think the Frankie Boyle joke stuck that is all and the fact she is more often pictured without makeup.

Rebecca has x4 as many olympic medals, and is an OBE. I will give you that Jessica Ennis has a CBE though.. perhaps the queen thinks she is hotter!!
  • Options
    YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is taking her achievements away from her at all.

The overriding question for me is, if she can't participate in a few stupid tv show games as you say, why on earth did she go in in the first place. Given it's the nature of the show to participate in stupid tv show games, it does seem rather odd does it not?

Yeah it does, but if they knew all this, then why ask her? Surely if people are disgruntled it's ITV at fault here not her.
    I know the trials are the be all and end all for the viewer, but the other many hours of the day that camp life involves, she seems to be more than involved and pulling her weight etc.
    So far her being ruled out by the Dr's has not affected the camp one bit, nobody different would have done the trials and life would be exactly the same.......or would it? :)