Options

The Susannah question...

clareiowclareiow Posts: 303
Forum Member
After tonight's departure - which I have to say was completely wrong in my opinion - I really want to know one thing.

What is it that people like about Susannah that's keeping her in?

I've never *got* her. I like Kevin, but I find her uncomfortable to watch. So I'm intrigued to know what it is people see in her that I'm not.

Comments

• Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm voting for Kevin.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I just like the partnership. They give the best interviews and their VTs are always entertaining. Her dancing is a decent standard allowing for age, background etc and they always 'go for it'.

Can't speak for anyone else but that's why I vote for them.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Perhaps something similar to what people like about Sophie? Despite all the 'misses', the 'hits' (in Sophie's case a very impressive Charleston; in Susannah's case a great paso) have made viewers forgiving of less-spectacular subsequent efforts? Plus they're both untainted by charges (fair or unfair) of 'ringerdom' and they're not WAGs (which doesn't go down so well with some).
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clareiow wrote: »
    After tonight's departure - which I have to say was completely wrong in my opinion - I really want to know one thing.

I've never *got* her. I like Kevin, but I find her uncomfortable to watch. So I'm intrigued to know what it is people see in her that I'm not.

Don't know about Susannah but I like Susanna because I enjoy her partnership with Kevin, I like that she always gives it 100% even when she knows the routine isn't particularly good, because she exudes the joy of dance that I know myself from doing it and because she's a 40-odd mother of three who provides a great example to demonstrate that you don't have to be technically perfect to love dancing or to entertain.
  • Options
    chels.pchels.p Posts: 281
    Forum Member

I think she's warm and she's herself - I like the fact that she shows her emotions and doesn't put on false modesty when she's disappointed with scores - which I sense from some of the other celebs.

Up until the Paso I thought she was really improving, unfortunately she seems to have regressed a bit.

To be honest, all the negative comments have made me like her more as well. Same with Natalie.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Don't know about Susannah but I like Susanna because I enjoy her partnership with Kevin, I like that she always gives it 100% even when she knows the routine isn't particularly good, because she exudes the joy of dance that I know myself from doing it and because she's a 40-odd mother of three who provides a great example to demonstrate that you don't have to be technically perfect to love dancing or to entertain.

Great post, couldn't have put it better .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I love her partnership with Kevin and I really respect her as an individual. I love the fact that she doesn't hold back on a performance level, which more often than not really sells the dance. I just like her a lot. :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I don't know about everyone else, but I vote for her because: I love her, I love Kevin, I love their partnership, she seems to be loving it, I love her dances, she always performs, she is so funny and I just really want her and Kevin to win :)
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get cross with Kevin for giving Susanna too much to do. So cannot see how the partnership is "all that"!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Seems like she's being voted for on likability rather than ability, I'd imagine many of those voters were up in arms when Dave was the one staying in over others who were better.

Personally I like Suzanna, I have no problems with her, she puts in great effort but now finds herself at the bottom of the pack. She should have at least been in the bottom two this week if people purely voted on ability and improvement but alas they don't which is a shame.
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like everyone who is left in now. The ones I really like are Sophie and Abbey (in that order).

I like Susanna. She doesn't totally grab me, but I don't mind her. I do like Kevin, but that's not enough for me to vote for them because I feel that strictly voting should be about the celeb not the pro.

After the last couple of weeks, I really think that Susanna is in with a strong shot at winning this, even though her dances have been weak since the Paso. My reasons for thinking this are:

- She and Kevin have got a cheer from the audience the last two weeks that was louder than those given to the other contestants.

- She's been trending on Yahoo searches the last couple of weeks (and the others weren't).

This leads me to guess that she has as a very high level of public support.

The fact that it's Susanna trending not Kevin, would lead me to guess that it's her the majority of the audience are voting for out of the pair.

I get why they like her, just not why they like her better than Sophie and Abbey! It's all down to personal taste though. :)
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her, sometimes these things are difficult to quantify in words. I will try.

I like her in her day job as I do all the BBC breakfast/news girls I think they are all good role models for girls, that it's not all about being in a girl band or marrying a footballer (that's not having a go at Abbey really it's just an analogy) that if you work hard & are tough enough you can break into a very male dominated pressure cooker job if that's what you want.

Apart from the fact that she's on TV she could be a Mum on the school run, she's seems very down to earth to me & if I met her on the school run I think I would like her as she would be funny & kind.

I like the fact that she's wants to do her best & like what she's done on the dance floor or not she lays it all on the line, she is not doing it half heartedly or based on what she thinks is 'appropriate' for her husband or granny to see. (Yes small dig at Sophie)

She has no previous dance experience or a musical background apart from some acting when she was a child.

Yes I like the relationship with Kevin that is also a factor.

I suppose ultimately I like her because I suspect we have a similar background & upbringing, I have been accused tonight of being a middle aged southerner or from Middle England ...the first I DEFINATELY am not the second I am not too sure what that is, but if it means that I come from a hard working family (military) who strived to do well at school, & jobs etc etc then I am guilty as charged. I like her what more can I say.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im NOT voting for them but I can understand why many people would. She is very relatable.

I like Kevin but Im not too keen on her but what I appreciate and dare I say like about her is the fact that she gives it her all and always goes for it (right or wrong she always goes for it and I love that kind of attitude ) ; I wished Sophie could take a leaf out of her book (I say it as someone who likes Sophie ).

Besides Abbey & Aljaz , her and Kevin also have the best chemistry on-off the dancefloor (winning combination lol ) imo . Im not really getting that vibe with the other 3 couples left, especially Natalie & Artem.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    - She and Kevin have got a cheer from the audience the last two weeks that was louder than those given to the other contestants.

Not to play decibelometer or anything, but the reaction for Sophie last week was much louder and longer than it was for Susanna, even with Susanna on last (and the week before, to be honest).

I still say it's fairly even between them, and people are massively jumping the gun based on one audience reaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cassy990 wrote: »
    Seems like she's being voted for on likability rather than ability, I'd imagine many of those voters were up in arms when Dave was the one staying in over others who were better.

Then you'd be wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Then you'd be wrong.

Do you speak on behalf of them all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your wrong about me too. I have no problem with people voting for whoever they want, that's what the show is about. There are some unfair things about the show that can rile me but if Dave had gone & won it wouldn't have bothered me really. I voted for Mark every single week until he left.
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Not to play decibelometer or anything, but the reaction for Sophie last week was much louder and longer than it was for Susanna, even with Susanna on last (and the week before, to be honest).

I still say it's fairly even between them, and people are massively jumping the gun based on one audience reaction.

I don't mean for the dances - that varies depending on how well they performed. I mean for things like the introduction at the start, or (this week for Susanna & Kevin) when they announce that they are safely through. I figure that that is a better indication of how much the public like a particular couple. :)
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Susanna has a really engaging personality that comes across well on television.
  • Options
    tonycollins100tonycollins100 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, particuarly this week, Susanna got a lot more public votes because they felt she was "shafted" in the swingathon. The first couple to leave,(no matter who it was going to be) should have been given more than a few seconds of free dance. S&K were booted off the floor almost as soon as the group bit ended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Considering I didn't post to say I was speaking on behalf of everyone then I'd suspect it was blindingly obvious I am referring to myself.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kevin.

If she was with most of the other male pros I suspect she would have been out after the three week run of abject mediocrity she's just been on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's partly the 'Everyman' thing. It would be hard to imagine oneself as Abbey, the model WAG, or Sophie, the cool popstar with the private jet. Most of us are not talented enough to be Natalie, but Susanna gives beginner or would be dancers a bit of hope and that's quite cool, actually.

I also think Kevin is the least intimidating of the male pros, which adds to the, 'I could be/I'd like to be Susanna' thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's partly the 'Everyman' thing. It would be hard to imagine oneself as Abbey, the model WAG, or Sophie, the cool popstar with the private jet. Most of us are not talented enough to be Natalie, but Susanna gives beginner or would be dancers a bit of hope and that's quite cool, actually.

I also think Kevin is the least intimidating of the male pros, which adds to the, 'I could be/I'd like to be Susanna' thing.

Yes it took me far more words but in a nutshell this. Susanna could be a friend, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable or intimidated in her company. Don't see that with Abbey or Sophie or Natalie.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're wrong about me too. I like her and her dancing and have given her at least one of my five votes every week. If I have any concerns, it's about Kevin's choreography because I think he's struggling to find the right level for Susanna. But even then she tries her best, especially on the live show.

What I like best about her though is how she gets stuck in and keeps trying to get it right.

I admire her.

PS And she looks FANTASTIC!