Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    ITV Ratings: Vera was the highest rating drama on TV last night, averaging 6 million viewers/a 26% share of viewing.

Great rating. Vera has grown over the years into a strong hit for ITV.

Vera is a good show, from the same writer as Shetland. I think Vera is better.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant and Olivia Colman will both return to Broadchurch for series two, it has been announced.

Jodie Whittaker (Beth Latimer), Andrew Buchan (Mark Latimer) and Arthur Darvill (Rev. Paul Coates) are also confirmed for the next run, Radio Times reports.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s218/broadchurch/news/a570208/broadchurch-series-2-cast-confirmed-david-tennant-returning.html#~oE2ijs8bXdcn5j#ixzz31UQhonyN
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant and Olivia Colman will both return to Broadchurch for series two, it has been announced.

Jodie Whittaker (Beth Latimer), Andrew Buchan (Mark Latimer) and Arthur Darvill (Rev. Paul Coates) are also confirmed for the next run, Radio Times reports.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s218/broadchurch/news/a570208/broadchurch-series-2-cast-confirmed-david-tennant-returning.html#~oE2ijs8bXdcn5j#ixzz31UQhonyN
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Filming of Broadchurch 2 starts soon. Will it be on this Autumn or 2015?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-05-12/david-tennant-olivia-colman-and-arthur-darvill-all-return-for-broadchurch-series-two
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    ITV Ratings: Vera was the highest rating drama on TV last night, averaging 6 million viewers/a 26% share of viewing.

Great rating. Vera has grown over the years into a strong hit for ITV.

Very nice rating. I think its become ITV's highest rating 2 hr drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

Although it could end up in the Monday slot later this year, I think its likely to be next year when it airs given that it won't have its run affected by IAC, as it might do airing this year. I'm not sure how long it takes to film it? 3months?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

I think they need it more for the start of 2015.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, it really is a excellent drama,and seems to be getting more and more popular.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. I think the 90 minute format suits it better than Shetland's 120m. Too many long pauses with nothing happening. George Gently works better in 90m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    #TheCrimsonField bowed out with 5.1m/21.6% on BBC1,losing out for most of the slot to ITV's #vera http://www.overnights.tv

#vera won all but the last 1/4hr of its slot, averaging 5.6m/24.1% from 8pm, and 401k/2% on ITV+1 http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    #TheCrimsonField bowed out with 5.1m/21.6% on BBC1,losing out for most of the slot to ITV's #vera http://www.overnights.tv

#vera won all but the last 1/4hr of its slot, averaging 5.6m/24.1% from 8pm, and 401k/2% on ITV+1 http://www.overnights.tv

The Crimson Field was not a disaster for the beeb, very respectable figure against what appears to be, at last, a worthy and popular drama for ITV. Well done to both sides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Crimson Field is a definite hit and will be back next year. Both dramas have held up well together, but it seems some have watched The Crimson Field in between Vera, then caught up with the rest of it on ITV+1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Crimson Field is a definite hit and will be back next year. Both dramas have held up well together, but it seems some have watched The Crimson Field in between Vera, then caught up with the rest of it on ITV+1.

Also proves all those who complain about people not switching channels are wrong - it seems they switch while popular programs are still on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    It's not just on pure numbers though; it's on demographics too. I have the feeling Channel 5 probably usurped ITV in the 10pm slot in terms of revenue.

It's one night of the year, the slots would be far more sought after than after the Amazing Grey/Prey/The Americans to such an extent that the actual profit would probably be very similar.

And Eurovision could also provide another opportunity for ITV in either giving Rising Star a purpose so it's got a different role to The X Factor or by filling up a low rating Saturday with a National Final where they can include more ad breaks.

As NeilVW also pointed out, other commercial networks seem happy with the system too, otherwise they'd be calling for more breaks.

I highly doubt the BBC will drop Eurovision but if it ever did happen I don't think it's out of the question that either ITV or Channel 4 would pick it up.

You have to remember that the UK is part of the Big 5 for several reasons. Mainly because it guarantees a substantial audience which is vital for the ESC. But, you have to realise that we have that status because of the investment made by the broadcaster, the BBC, not because we're the UK. To continue getting Big 5 status ITV would have to match or better the BBC's investment otherwise the UK would be in the semi finals with no guarantee of performing on final night which is where the audience lies. Would ITV be prepared to match the BBC's investment for just 8 minutes of ad revenue and equally, would the ESC grant ITV automatic Big 5 status if they appeared to be less committed than the BBC. It really isn't as straightforward as "the BBC don't want it so we'll have it".
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please could someone tell me the viewing figures for For The Love of Cars last night ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Broadchurch, Poirot among ITV Encore launch week highlights

ITV Encore has announced details of its upcoming launch week highlights.

Broadchurch will air for the first time since its original transmission last year, airing all eight parts across Monday to Thursday from June 9.

The episodes will air in double bill slots on the new subscription channel, which will be available on Sky Channel 123.

The new channel will focus on the best of ITV's drama series of recent years.

Meanwhile, Sheridan Smith and Danny Mays's Mrs Biggs will air during the first few weeks, along with The Ice Cream Girls and Rory Kinnear's Lucan.

David Suchet's final four instalments of Poirot will also air on the channel, as well as Whitechapel and DCI Banks from the beginning of their runs.

ITV's Director of Television Peter Fincham said: "Drama is a genre that we know audiences love, and we have worked with some fantastic talent, both on and off screen, to build a really strong stable of series and serials over the years.

"ITV Encore will give viewers the opportunity to revisit, or indeed to discover, a wealth of ITV drama from recent times."

Broadchurch will return for a second series on ITV in 2015.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Coronation Street:

Mon: 8.72m [+920k] / 8.88m [+790k]
    Wed: 8.72m [+980k]
    Fri: 8.9m [+1.24m] / 8.23m [+1.1m]

EastEnders:

Mon: 9.09m [+910k]
    Tue: 9.06m [+670k]
    Thu: 8.18m [+680k]
    Fri: 7.8m [+610k]

EE has the two most watched soap episodes of the week then! No surprise though, it should be with the amount of promotion!
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ITV moving drama to ITV Encore is going to hurt ITV1 quite a bit.
    They could have repeated this stuff on ITV1 instead there showing a lot of doco stuff on its main channel which is not rating well like on Tuesdays.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You have to remember that the UK is part of the Big 5 for several reasons. Mainly because it guarantees a substantial audience which is vital for the ESC. But, you have to realise that we have that status because of the investment made by the broadcaster, the BBC, not because we're the UK. To continue getting Big 5 status ITV would have to match or better the BBC's investment otherwise the UK would be in the semi finals with no guarantee of performing on final night which is where the audience lies. Would ITV be prepared to match the BBC's investment for just 8 minutes of ad revenue and equally, would the ESC grant ITV automatic Big 5 status if they appeared to be less committed than the BBC. It really isn't as straightforward as "the BBC don't want it so we'll have it".

For sure ITV would need to pay in the same amount as the BBC does now but - as we have seen - that isn't very much in the grand scheme of things, except in years when they have to host.

My point remains that commercial broadcasters in the other Big Five member countries (Spain, Germany, Italy, France) manage to make it pay. Not all of those may be commercial broadcasters - I don't know off the top of my head - but at least one will be.
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Encore is basically 'ITV3 without 'A Touch Of Frost' endless repeats'.

It won't do ITV1 any serious ratings dentage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice rating. I think its become ITV's highest rating 2 hr drama.

Did anybody expect Vera to rate higher than Endeavour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Please could someone tell me the viewing figures for For The Love of Cars last night ?
    The Around 1.4m for For The Love Of Cars.

Ratings from Digital Spy

Crimson Field gains back 700k for finale on BBC One

The Crimson Field bounced back in the ratings for its finale episode on Sunday, according to overnight data.

The BBC One drama gained around 700,000 viewers from last week, attracting 5.1 million (21.6%) at 9pm.

Earlier, Countryfile topped the night overall with 6.3m (30.8%) at 7pm, followed by Antiques Roadshow with 5.1m (22.4%) at 8pm. Alan Hansen's final ever Match of the Day and the last of the season scored 2.9m (26.3%) at 10.35pm.

On BBC Two, The Best of Top Gear entertained 1.2m (5.3%) at 8pm, while Hidden Treasure: The Comedy Vault amused 1.5m (6.2%) at 9pm. QI XL gathered 1.5m (9.1%) at 10pm.

ITV's Catchphrase puzzled 3.4m (17.8%) at 6.45pm (139k/0.6% on +1), followed by Off Their Rockers with 3.4m (16.3%) at 7.30pm (142k/0.6%). The latest Vera climbed by around 500k to 5.6m (24.1%) at 8pm (401k/2.0%).

On Channel 4, For the Love of Cars appealed to 1.1m (4.6%) at 8pm (320k/1.4%), followed by the latest Fargo with 1.3m (5.5%) at 9pm (245k/1.5%).

Channel 5's airing of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thrilled 773k (3.3%) at 8pm (126k/0.6%). The Bucket List interested 757k (5.7%) at 10pm.

On BBC Three, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest excited 864k (3.8%) at 8pm. In the Flesh brought in 297k (1.8%) at 10pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did anybody expect Vera to rate higher than Endeavour?

No I dont think anybody did and I have to say in terms of quality I dont think it should have either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    For sure ITV would need to pay in the same amount as the BBC does now but - as we have seen - that isn't very much in the grand scheme of things, except in years when they have to host.

My point remains that commercial broadcasters in the other Big Five member countries (Spain, Germany, Italy, France) manage to make it pay. Not all of those may be commercial broadcasters - I don't know off the top of my head - but at least one will be.

Perhaps ITV could potentially show it, but the commercial side of things wouldn't really be viable for them. They need to find an act, fund the act, promote the act (although in fairness the BBC have been terrible at promoting the act recently), and unless they go down the commercial route and make money on the act there would be no profit for them. It's all speculation anyway, and maybe one day it will end up on a commercial station, but I don't think the BBC are going to give it up in the near future. I do think however, that next year, less effort will be made because they made an effort this year but it still under performed. Then again, as much as our song was good, it didn't really stand out amongst the strong entries. If it was a weak year then the UK would have done better. It wasn't just the UK making an effort this year, everybody did - except France!

With regards to cost: The BBC pay an entry fee of £310,000 just to be part of the contest. The contest itself costs £30m to stage. 50% is paid for by the host nation. 50% is paid for by the Big 5 countries, so the BBC would pay on average £3,310,000 to participate. This gives them the Urbi et Orbi link ups at Easter and also any other broadcast that they require. It gives them 7 hours of TV broadcasts and generates around 9m viewers average. It gives them publicity overseas and allows them to promote their shows. Not bad for the price. But £3,310,000 is quite a lot if you rely on ads to survive.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible ratings for In The Flesh at 10pm BBC3. It's quite rare for BBC3 to be below 300k at 10pm so viewers must be actively avoiding it. I've not seen it so can't judge on the quality. BBC3's film did well to match/beat Channel 5's films though.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Wizzywick - thanks for that. I was under the impression that the £300k-odd was an all-in price. As the actual cost is more than ten times that, it changes the equation completely, and puts it in the ballpark of the cost of one Six Nations match. That competition is deemed by some on here to be uneconomic for a UK commercial broadcaster to bid for.

One wonders how France and Italy's broadcasters - assuming they are commercial - make a profit on Eurovision, as in those countries the contest is shown on a relatively small channel and gets audiences around 2m (those countries being of similar size to the UK in population).
This discussion has been closed.