Spending the summer in the UK...

DracarysDracarys Posts: 1,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With summer holidays in full swing, we have decided not to go abroad this year but instead go sight seeing around England. What hotspots do you recommend? I am a fan of scenic views and at the moment would like to go to the following:

- Isle of Wight
- Dover
- Lake District
- Durdle Door (Bournemouth)

We would prefer to do one day trips and return home at the end of the night. I have browsed the web for locations but thought I should ask in here as well. Any recommendations? Please do not just restrict suggestions to just scenery, we would like to explore other types of activities as well.

Appreciate any help. :)

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    If you like scenic, then try the Peak District, some amazing scenery up here.

I'd suggest an overnight stay though, or even a few days up here.

I went up Durham way (and further North) a few weeks back, nice up there as well - but I wouldn't go just for a day it's far too restricting.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adults only or with kids?
  • DracarysDracarys Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adults only.

I will browse the Peak District and Durham. :) Thanks.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales is beautiful. :)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I was going to add Deb, that as the OP is restricted to England it doesn't matter where they go as they'll miss the best bits :D
    I'm down South and I have three days exploring up North next week :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to add Deb, that as the OP is restricted to England it doesn't matter where they go as they'll miss the best bits :D
    I'm down South and I have three days exploring up North next week :)

I would be open to exploring Wales, it's closer to London than Scotland and Ireland. :)

Any particular places?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We stayed in Saundersfoot a few years ago, that was lovely - also we stayed in Tenby before that, it's pretty there (not far from Portmeirion, which is great to visit especially if you've seen The Prisoner - that was why we went) - however Tenby is becoming known for lairy hen/stag weekends, so might not be as nice now. TBH Everywhere I've been in Wales has been beautiful. :)
    One thing we didn't manage was a visit to Skomer island at the south west tip of wales (weather was too bad for boats) - I'd love to see a puffin....one day!
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty to do, I enjoyed a weekend in Whitby last summer, lovely walks, great fish and chips and a nice sea breeze!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Peak District. I've just spent the past couple of months working around there and it's absolutely stunning. Very underrated.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    We stayed in Saundersfoot a few years ago, that was lovely - also we stayed in Tenby before that, it's pretty there (not far from Portmeirion, which is great to visit especially if you've seen The Prisoner - that was why we went) - however Tenby is becoming known for lairy hen/stag weekends, so might not be as nice now. TBH Everywhere I've been in Wales has been beautiful. :)
    One thing we didn't manage was a visit to Skomer island at the south west tip of wales (weather was too bad for boats) - I'd love to see a puffin....one day!

Not sure I would describe Tenby as not far from Portmeirion, doable in a day yes, but the roads aren't great and it's probably a 3 hour drive each way. I don't know my self as I live nearer Swansea but its still a good mornings run up to Portmeiron.

Just googled map'd it its 143miles from Tenby to Portmeiron and will take 3hours plus
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member

Regarding the puffin me too ut sadly the only ones I have ever seen have been the dead ones washed up on the beach. :(

I was going to suggest Norfolk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I would describe Tenby as not far from Portmeirion, doable in a day yes, but the roads aren't great and it's probably a 3 hour drive each way. I don't know my self as I live nearer Swansea but its still a good mornings run up to Portmeiron.
    Could well be - it's a good 15 years ago so I can't remember it that well, and we used to do a lot more sightseeing/driving pre-kids!
    Forum Member
    ^^ But I do agree Pembrokeshire is really great some really nice coastline (the UKs only coast line national park) and some great visitor attractions.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member

Certainly is - I've not been there for a while - and usually North Wales when I've been.

To be fair, much of the UK is beautiful :D
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly is - I've not been there for a while - and usually North Wales when I've been.

To be fair, much of the UK is beautiful :D
    Totally agree.
    But next time you go to Wales check out the Gower Peninsula.
    Then Pembrokeshire.
    Then Cardigan Bay.
    Then.............. :)

Oh yes, Élan Valley.
    Forum Member
    Gowers fantastic, but unless your actually staying there, best forget it for the Summer Months, narrow back roads, mean hours spent sitting in your car.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    If you want to do the Isle of Wight, you would have to book the car Ferry from Portsmouth, then when you get over there go round the island by car or do a day coach trip round the island which takes you to the main attractions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Hi, yes this is the plan going to take the car by ferry from Portsmouth to Fishbourne and then go explore The Needles Park, the steam train, Ventnor Downs and the beaches along the East coast. :)
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norfolk & the Broads are lovely - especially at this time of the year. You can hire day boats and go round the Broads, lots of lovely pubs, plenty of "me time" and it's nice to chill out for a few days.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Norfolk & the Broads are lovely - especially at this time of the year. You can hire day boats and go round the Broads, lots of lovely pubs, plenty of "me time" and it's nice to chill out for a few days.

You might also meet Alan Partridge.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the puffins on Dunnet Head. If you don't want to drive around the UK, stay at home and use Google street view.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire Dales, particularly Upper Swaledale, has spectacular scenery also lots of beautiful little towns and villages, tea rooms and quaint pubs that haven't altered since the 1950's!

Wensleydale if you like cheese :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't say if you're driving or using the train OP. I think a lot of the suggestions so far are great and well worth doing, but will need at least one night away - though B&B's and budget hotels are easy to sort out over the internet.
    Closer to London - Brighton, Arundal, Canterbury, Beachy head, Cheltenham, Bath and Oxford are all interesting and quite driveable.

If you've never been then I would highly recommend a short break in The Lakes. Similarly Snowdonia in Wales. Less well known is the Breacons in South wales - not a day trip though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    i agree, I lived there for some years and still go back for hols when I can.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Less well known is the Breacons in South wales - not a day trip though.

Haha, I've never seen Brecon Beacons abbreviated like that! ;)