What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently Shattered by Kevin Hearne.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    April Lady - Georgette Heyer
    Not the kind of book I am used to reading this was so light, that it took me a while to acclimatise myself to her prose.
    This was really entertaining and I'm glad I stuck with it. I'd like to read more of her books
    but how do you decide what to read next, new books or old?
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill Bryson's Lost continent..very funny:D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Two Of Us: My Life With John Thaw --- Sheila Hancock
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Katherine Webb - A half forgotten song
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Courage Tree - Diane Chamberlain
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love browsing for books in charity and second hand shops. This morning I found this for £1.69: (paperback).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sea-Our-Left-Coastline/dp/1840241055

A couple spent ten months raising money for charity by walking all round the British coastline.

Looking at the price on Amazon I got a bargain :o
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I love browsing for books in charity and second hand shops. This morning I found this for £1.69: (paperback).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sea-Our-Left-Coastline/dp/1840241055

A couple spent ten months raising money for charity by walking all round the British coastline.

Looking at the price on Amazon I got a bargain :o

EDIT: I have started to read this book. On their journey they mention the places they pass (or stay at), so I am simultaneously watching the places on youtube to get a feel of the walk - at the end I'll feel like I've travelled the route with them :cool:
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Carnival Of Shadows. The new novel by R J Ellory
    Forum Member
    Helen Fielding - Mad about the boy
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two new books.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss has been on my Kindle for ages and recent posts have inspired me to make a start on it.

The Gallows Curse by Karen Maitland. Audiobook version read by David Thorpe. It's set in the reign of King John and England is under Interdict, nobody can be baptised, married or buried in consecrated ground. A servant girl is unwittingly dragged into a scheme to absolve the sins of the recently deceased Lord of the Manor.

I loved Company of LIars but wasn't so keen on The Owl Killers. This one is shaping up very nicely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Truth or Dare, Tania Carver Great read x
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished reading The Bourbon Kid trilogy - loved it.
    Anyone else read these books. Very different to the usual vampire books.
    Forum Member
    Gave up on Helen Fielding- Bridget Jones Mad about the boy. Should have left it where it is- the past. Kept having to remind myself that Bridget was 50 and still acting the same that she was years ago!!

Have now started Roberta Kray- Bad Girl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started Good as Dead by Mark Billingham. I got it on an Amazon deal for 99p but have just realised it's book 10 which is annoying me as I'm a bit OCD about reading things in the right order!
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to start reading 'The Reading Group', by Elizabeth Noble.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Divergent - Veronica Roth
    Not a bad read, different to what I'm used to, found the premise interesting, didn't like the heroine all that much. Not sure whether I'll read the follow up.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Burglar by Maurice Leblanc.

French contemporary of Sherlock Holmes.

Really enjoying it so far, all the more so for it being a freebie.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Finished When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro. Really enjoyed it. I was a bit worried towards the end when he started on his unreliable narrator aspect. I though here we go, echos of The Unconsoled but it brought it back to the plot with and ending that not only made sense but tidied up all the loose ends.

Now onto the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft. Not relishing the prospect but I said I would so I am.
    Forum Member
    Luke Delaney - Cold Killing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Americanah
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,862
    Forum Member
    The Children of Men by P D James
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Kitcheners Mob - Adventures of an American in the British Army by James Norman Hall

Another freebie, quite short but evocative of life in the trenches in WWI
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    I'm reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett at the moment. It's taken me a while to get into it but it is really good. Looking to buy the film when I've finished the book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeing Grace by Charity Norman - the third book I have read by this author and I really enjoyed the first two so I have high hopes for this one!