What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Karen Joy Fowler - We are all completely beside ourselves
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murder Never Retires by Sylvia Stern
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen Joy Fowler - We are all completely beside ourselves

I've just bought it after reading the free sample chapters. Looks very good, though I may have spoilt it for myself a bit by reading some of the reviews. Will get round to reading it properly when I've finished my current book.

I've also bought The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth. It's on the Man Booker Prize Longlist and is about resistance to William the Conqueror after the Norman invasion. It's written in a made-up version of Old English which may take some getting used to.
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've just bought it after reading the free sample chapters. Looks very good, though I may have spoilt it for myself a bit by reading some of the reviews. Will get round to reading it properly when I've finished my current book.

I've also bought The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth. It's on the Man Booker Prize Longlist and is about resistance to William the Conqueror after the Norman invasion. It's written in a made-up version of Old English which may take some getting used to.

I tried not to read too much of the reviews! Am quite enjoying it- funny in some places
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With or Without You ~ U2
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marked - David Jackson - the 3rd in the series about Detective Callum Doyle but the 4th I've read as I read no. 4 first followed by book 1 and then book 2!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - could I join in please?

At present I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, who is also the author of The Kite Runner. A good read which has you crying at times but is also quite educational.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Perilla, of course you can join! I have got a Thousand Splendid Suns but I haven't read it yet. My OH read it on holiday last year and loved it (he only reads 1 or 2 books a year!)

The Kite Runner is one of my 2 favourite books ever so I don;t know why I haven't got round to reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion it's superior to The Kite Runner but hey we're all different so I hope you enjoy it when you get round to reading it:)
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The Shining

and

A biography about Robert Smith
    Forum Member
    Zoe Heller - Notes on a scandal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe Heller - Notes on a scandal

I really enjoyed Notes on a Scandal but hated the film.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,330,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outsider: My Autobiography - Jimmy Conners
    Forum Member
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Notes on a Scandal but hated the film.

I've read it before when it first came out and have only recently seen the film.

Love the book, thought the film was ok
    Forum Member
    Now onto James Henry- Morning Frost
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    Robert Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    A biography about Robert Smith
    I didn't know there was one. What is it?
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'One Summer' by Bill Bryson. Not as funny as his
    travel books, but a good entertaining read all the
    same. And packed with arcane facts!
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
    J K Rowling's crime debut, and what a corker!
    Never felt inclined to read Harry Potter, but this was a wonderful start to this
    crime series, with private detective Strike.
    Very readable and will definetly read the next one.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read it before when it first came out and have only recently seen the film.

Love the book, thought the film was ok

Snap. I didn't mind the film (I think Judi Dench is a fantastic actress so I can't imagine hating anything of hers) but I think it worked better as a book.

I'm just starting 'A Willing Victim' by Laura Wilson (audio version). I picked it off the shelf in the library in a hurry this morning. I've just had a look at reviews and they aren't great, but I'll give it a try anyway. Apparently it's one of a series and the other books in the series are better. I've never heard of this author before though.

Has anyone else read any of the DI Ted Stratton series by Laura Wilson?
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,862
    Forum Member
    The Drowning Pool by Syd Moore, I like her writing style.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir - great read. Heavy on technical details but some really funny one liners in between. A real page turner.

Currently reading The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. Its got some good parts but is really too long winded in others. It seems to linger and labour on details in some scenes and then inexplicably jump a few months without much of an explanation.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished The Twelve by Justin Cronin. It was spectacular. I found The Passage good but very convoluted; this was pared down and well paced imo. I'm very much looking forward to The City of Mirrors.

I'm now moving onto Crash Into You by Kate McGarry - I can't read too much adult fiction in a row!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I have just read Dead Write by Keri Beevis. This is the second book in a series featuring Rebecca Angel. I found it to be brilliantly written with a twist that I could not see coming. The pace of her books is really fast and once started I could not put it down. It is in turn funny and scary. Now I cannot wait for the next one.
    I went onto her facebook account and found that she is running a competition to win a signed copy of the book.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FInished A Bend in the River by V S Naipaul. Beuatifullt written novel about the fragility ofife and social breakdown in Africa. Written almost 40yrs ago but history still repeating iitself today.