What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just put this on my 'to read' list, looks like my type of book :)

I'd thoroughly recommend it. It also gets a lot of glowing reviews on amazon and they're completely deserved IMO.

I'll be interested to read what you make of it. :)
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Luck and Trouble-Lee Child
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Enemy by Desmond Bagley.I read all the
    Bagley books years back when they were first
    published and often go back to re-read one.
    This one is a particularly 'dark' one from the
    author!
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nagel84 wrote: »
    I'd thoroughly recommend it. It also gets a lot of glowing reviews on amazon and they're completely deserved IMO.

I'll be interested to read what you make of it. :)

When I get to it, I'll feedback :)

I finished A Perfectly Good Man this morning and I really liked it, would recommend if you like reasonably gentle tales.

I'm now reading How the Trouble Started by Robert Williams, an altogether darker affair I think.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finished 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster, The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. All three very good.

I'm still reading The Road to Bosworth Field by Trevor Royle and need to get on with it as it's due back at the library.

My two new books both have a Cornish theme.

A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale on the Kindle as mentioned previously on this thread.

The King's General by Daphne du Maurier. An audiobook narrated by Juliet Stevenson. "As the horrors of the English civil war blight her future, divide her family, and destroy her peace, Honor Harris shares Sir Richard Grenville's final tragedy."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler. Not read enough to form an opinion yet but the premise sounds good, 2 London detectives in their 80's working for the 'Peculiar Crimes Unit', the story is split between present day and back to 1940 (I think) when the 2 detectives had their first case together, during the London Blitz. Hopefully it will live up to it's description.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Eleanor Prescott- Could it be im falling in love
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Carver on Twitter has been bugging me about this so I have finally picked up "The Book Thief" I'm told its the most amazing book I will ever read :)
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    3rd book of a Hardcore Wrestling Legend!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Will Carver on Twitter has been bugging me about this so I have finally picked up "The Book Thief" I'm told its the most amazing book I will ever read :)

I agree that it's a very good book and well worth a read. I don't think that it would feature on my "Amazing" list though.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Child- Persuader

Absolutely love the Jack Reacher books
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Just started reading Katherine by Anya Seton, another historical read, looks good. It was written in the 1950's but the writing doesn't suffer for all that.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    John Verdon- Shut your eyes tight
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    'Horns' by Joe Hill (Hill is Stephen King's son)
    Quite enjoying it so far (Pg192 out of 320-odd)
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Misery - Stephen King

Both v. good
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started J R Ward's 11th Blackdagger Brotherhood book Lover at Last. Already loving it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got 4 books for under £5 in a charity shop today including The Godfather so I'm going to start on that tonight. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I've almost finished 'The Bunker Diary' by Kevin Brooks

It is an extraordinary book and an insult to call it YA fiction, it limits those willing to pick it up. This book is so absorbing and real.

Some have said it has echoes of Room by Emma Donoghue but I had much more of a feeling of The Collector by John Fowles.

I love it when I stumble across a book that makes me tingle with anticipation when turning the page.

Read this book!

Now off to find other works by this author. :D
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,330,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bedsit Disco Queen - Tracey Thorn
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished The Key - Simon Toyne, waiting for The Temple that is released tomorrow.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult... I know...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Disco Queen - Tracey Thorn

That's on my "to read" list - I loved Everything But The Girl.:)
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crossed by Ally Condie - 2nd in a series.

Enjoying it, it reminds me a lot of the hunger games in some respects.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    As the last book in the Raymond E Feist's 'Riftwar Saga' is due to be released next month I've just gone back to the start to re-read, finished The Magician last night and have just started Silverthorn :)
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Nathaniel Hawrthorne's "Scarlet Letter" .. an insight into the 17th Century whitch-hunts in New England. The plight of Hester Prynne who is branded with the the letter "A" for committing adultery. We see the puritan community's attititude towards her and her daughter as well as the impact on her partner and her husband.