What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Dominic Sandbrook's "Seasons in the Sun" .. best overview of the 70s you are ever likely to read.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Siege - Simon Kernick
    Nailbiting thriller, about a small group of armed terrorists, holding a large grou;p of hostages
    in a London hotel. The pace never lets up, and there are plenty of innocent individuals caught up in this very tense drama
    This had me gripped from the start, and made me impatient to read more, when I could.
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Ellie Campbell- Looking for La La
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,491
    Forum Member
    I've just started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.

Maybe it's because she's a playwright, but the dialogue really makes the novel stand-out, and rips the story along at a great pace. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,131
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Schemer by Kimberly Chambers now about to read Revenge Wears Prada (Devil Wears Prada sequel)
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just starting Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. The premise of the story sounds interesting 'what if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right'.
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am about to start Contingency by Peggy Martinez
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid - excellent thriller, with so many twists you'll never guess whodunit! - and have now started Girl 4, by Will Carver, which looks good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Just started 'Bertie Plays the Blues' which is the most recent book by Alexander McCall Smith in the 44 Scotland Street series. I've read all the previous books in the series and found them quietly enjoyable, although I seem to be in a minority there. They don't seem to get taken out of the library very often compared with the No1 Ladies' Detective Agency series which is much more popular.
    Forum Member
    Summer with my sister - Lucy Diamond
    Enjoyable chic lit about a high powered City achiever who is abruptly made redundant from her job, and is forced to sell her luxury house, and retreat to her estranged family's home, out of town, in a nice cosy village. While she licks her wounds and plans her future, she gradually reconnects with the her family and her past.
    Funny and sad, written with warmth.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead Mans Time by Peter James
    This is the ninth book in the series
    about Supt Roy Grace who runs the
    Brighton Murder Squad and its every
    bit as much a page turner as the previous
    eight!
    Forum Member
    Suzanne Bugler- The Safest Place
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got two new books on the go.

The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher. An audiobook read by Hannah Gordon. I'm about 25 years later than everybody else with this one. It's very listenable but is sounding rather dated for a book written in the eighties. I guess that I'm supposed to like Penelope and Olivia and to dislike Nancy and Noel. I'm not taking to any of them yet but am enjoying the story telling and narration.

I'm reading Edward Adrift by Craig Lancaster on my KIndle. I'm only a couple of chapters in but things are shaping up nicely and I think that the book will live up to 600 Hours of Edward. I'm quite relieved to see that Edward has given up on Dragnet.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I'm re-reading all of Raymond E Feist's 'Riftwar Saga' as a lead up to reading the latest and final book, Magician's End, which has just been released - in the last couple of weeks so far I have read:

The Magician
    Silverthorne
    Darkness at Sethanon

Daughter of the Empire
    Servant of the Empire
    Mistress of the Empire

Prince of the Blood
    The King's Buccaneer

Shadow of a Dark Queen
    Rise of a Merchant Prince
    Rage of a Demon King
    Shards of a Broken Crown

Krondor the Betrayal
    Krondor the Assassins

and am currently nearly finished
    Krondor Tear of the Gods

and am about to move on to
    Jimmy and the Crawler

After that there will be anther 14 to go including Magician's End :)
    Still ploughing through my Feist Odyssey, since this post I have continued with:-

Honoured Enemy
    Murder in LaMut
    Jimmy the Hand

Talon of the Silver Hawk
    King of Foxes
    Exiles Return

Flight of the Nighthawks
    Into a Dark Realm
    Wrath of a Mad God

and am just about to start:
    Rides a Dread Legion

5 more including this to go :D
  • haggy-mehaggy-me Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Complete Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got three on the go at present;

Go-go girls of the Apocalypse, a literary equivalent of the B-movie, all very 'Planet Terror' by Victor Gischler
    Ian Rankin's Impossible Dead
    and an audiobook - Agatha Christie's Murder is Easy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Finished Girl 4 by Will Carver, which was ok, nothing special, a bit formulaic. I could see the ending coming a mile off. Have got 2 on the go now: The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James, and Siege by Simon Kernick.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirty girls on top- Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,491
    Forum Member
    Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter.

Finding it virtually impossible to put down. Fantastic blend of humour and pathos.
    Forum Member
    Death of a Gossip - M.C.Beaton
    A Hamish Macbeth Murder Mystery

Gentle, story of an unconventional village bobby, in the Highlands solving a murder.
    Quite liked it. Different to what I expected.
  • ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It took a while before it became a real page-turner for me, but eventually I was hooked.
    Forum Member
    Ruth Rendell - The Lake of Darkness
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Just finished On the Beach by Neville Shute - God, it was sad!!
  • BlodeuweddBlodeuwedd Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Nearly finishing Cowards Get Cancer Too by John Diamond. OMG the best but the most harrowing book I've ever read. I don't normally read this kind of thing (what I thought it would be) but I was transfixed from the start because I could psychologically relate to everything he conveyed. Very uncomfortable reading but at the same time 'enjoyable' and funny.