What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    The Martian by Andy Weir.

Really enjoying this one, at least so far (about halfway through). Engaging, funny and inventive protagonist. It does help, seeing he's trapped on Mars all alone.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm half way through 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett and I can't put it down - it's about the lives of black and white women in the early 1960s in Mississippi, race relations etc. It reminds me a bit of The Color Purple and made me want to
    read 'To Kill A Mocking Bird Again' - probably a women's book mainly - not sure - anyway can highly recommend it.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Jane Fallon- The Ugly Sister
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Winston Churchill's history of WW2.

7 volumes.

I am just over half way though volume 4 which covers 1942.

Fascinating stuff. Inludes all his letters to and from characters like FDR and Stalin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Still reading Siege by Simon Kernick, also The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started Rupture by Simon Lelic. I think it was recommended here by someone. I think I'm going to enjoy it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    'Inferno' by Dan Brown
  • DolphinusDolphinus Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    David Nicholls - The Understudy
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I'm reading Elijah's Mermaid by Essie Fox.
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Affair- Lee Child
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished J M Cotzee's Disgrace .. More can be learnt about the racial politics of South Africa by reading this novel than you can by watching the ongoing daily news pantomime surrounding Mandela's health. Brilliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kristina Ohlsson's Unwanted. Well plotted debut from another Swedish crime writer. Will be buying the folllow up SIlenced. Well rounded characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished reading The Biteback Dictionary of Humorous Political Quotations by Fred Metcalf. Ok collection .. Too much US influence for me.
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading "Before I Go To Sleep" by S. J. Watson. Not very far into it but already hooked!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashes of midnight- Lara Adrian
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly finished The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Steak Diana Ross; Diary of a Football Nobody. Nostalgic look back at the life of the pro football player in the mid 70s including gallons of Watneys and Vauxhall Victors galore. This is the diary kept byd David McKay, Notts County's overweight midfielder of the period, now a respected contributor for Backpass, the best footy magh on the market.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Having just finished watching the first seven seasons of the tv show I was interested to see how the books compare. I've been told the first series is the only one the follows the book so am looking forward to reading more.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started a new audiobook, Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. My first by this author, good so far.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness J. Randy Taraborrelli

totaly amazing
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Last Temptation- Val McDermid
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mel Sherratt- Behind a closed door
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peter James....Dead Man's Time...

20 pages in and I'm hooked!
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early 20th century family literature at the moment...finished The Railway Children, The Secret Garden and just started Tarka the Otter.

Didn't realise The Secret Garden's main theme was Christian science until I read about it.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Having just finished watching the first seven seasons of the tv show I was interested to see how the books compare. I've been told the first series is the only one the follows the book so am looking forward to reading more.
    So basically the plot only follows the first season?. I was worried that it would contain spoilers for every season I've only seen season 1.