Options

What are you writing at the moment?

Comments

• Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just published a new story as a serial novel. I've previously self-published in Kindle and paperback format at Amazon, but for my new story I've opted to release it as a free online serial by email. Anyone who registers to follow the story gets a new chapter by email four times a week.

http://www.leonbaileygreen.com/hales/

I'll be honest - I clicked on the link and had difficulty working out whether you were publishing a novel off the back of a consultancy website, or whether the site, with all its different tabs is just a meta-textual exercise to make us believe that we would be reading something based on real life.

If LeonBaileyGreen Retail is actually a consultancy and you're marketing a serial novel off the back of a genuine website, aren't you worried about the risks that come with clients associating themselves with characters?

Another thing that didn't work for me was the huge amount of information about the lead characters. You wouldn't get all that information on the back cover of a published novel. Plus, I'm a fast reader. When I start a book I like having the option of being able to read as much as I like. Sorry, but I wouldn't be tempted to subscribe based on the website.

I admire people who experiment with multiple platforms, but this one didn't appeal.
  • Options
    Mandy73Mandy73 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I've wanted to be a professional writer since I was ten (am 40 in 3 months! :eek:) and have always written little scripts and stories in exercise books and computers, etc, since then.

Have entered comps, especially ones advertised on Twitter (Hayley MacKenzie aka "Script Angel" regularly tweets various opps for writing scripts and is very informative) and the BBC Writersroom.

The most recent one I entered was the Bruntwood prize for playwriting and am bricking it re: the results that come out in October!

Check out the Hightide Escalator play comp (I think it is) as that sounds quite interesting.

There is a Harry Bowling prize for unpublished novelists that ends in Sept. (Will try and find the URL for it.) Haven't read any of his books, but as his books were set in the East End it could be similar to books of Mary Jane Staples and Lena Kennedy whose books I absolutely adore and believe that they sold make brilliant mini series.

Re my own writing: I'm still actively chasing my writing dream and have my own website: www.amandaamory.com and recently delved into self publishing via Amazon and Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Amanda+Amory

I've self-published 3 eBooks on Amazon and Smashwords but have only sold a few :( I'm not undetered, though as hopefully the people who downloaded my books enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed writing them.

Am currently writing my fourth book about a fictitious celebrity clan who are the victims of a vicious hate campaign by someone determined to ruin them. Just the thrill you get from writing those words and being imaginative and creative and seeing the plot unravel and all the twists and turns is just the best feeling.

If writing is your passion, you have to go for it and pursue it. Because who knows where it might lead?

(Wow! What a long post!;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please don't let me kill this thread off:(

I've killed off one years ago and would hate to do that again!
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Mandy, you've not killed it (yet)... Looked at some of your links, I must admit I'd not thought about a competition but as my book is currently nearing completion of the first draft I might think about it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I hope I won't kill it off!

I take every avenue open to me in regards to writing. If it means my work is seen and critiqued by professionals who can also give out sound advice, why not?:D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week I'm writing 2 pieces for an American magazine, commissioned last month. I've already got input from various experts, and will be piecing it all together then writing 2 related articles, which will go out in the same issue.

I'm also about to be commissioned a piece for a UK magazine, about a really interesting textile from a Victorian lunatic asylum - history of mad people is another of my things! So will be preparing to go along with an academic who tipped me off about the item, to take a look and get some shots, so we can write it up. She is going for academic research so will no doubt take years to write it up, but I intend to write it up immediately as it sounds like a fascinating piece.

In the course of what I do, I chat with a lot of people like academics and museum curators and invariably every time I go, I come back with another good story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandy73 wrote: »

Have entered comps, especially ones advertised on Twitter (Hayley MacKenzie aka "Script Angel" regularly tweets various opps for writing scripts and is very informative) and the BBC Writersroom.

Thanks for all the links Mandy. Will look at the comps when I have time.

I've met Hayley. Had no idea she was still working as a script editor!

Last week I lost several thousand words from my current novel. The word .docx literally vanished off my computer and memory stick. Spent several hours searching and ending up punching the computer. Have only managed to re-write a fraction of what I've lost. :mad:

Another sleepless night I sent off a short script to the 503 showcase. All it needed was a little editing and a synopsis.

I'm also translating notes about my second novel into Welsh. Going to bite the bullet and complete a novel in Welsh. Short stories are all I've done so far. Not easy for me as it's not my first language - but I have to try.

On top of that I have a meeting with a director on Tuesday to discuss my idea for a short film. If all goes well I might get the green light to write the script. :D
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful using .docx format if you're working on multiple PCs, I had an issue whereby random spaces were being removed. I thought I was going mad as I spent ages correcting them only to find different ones disappear! I'm now using the older .doc format and all is well. Always keep plenty of copies too, I keep my master on a memory stick but I also have copies on my work and home PCs as well as my NAS, not to mention the versions in emails where I've sent it to people for comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »

Last week I lost several thousand words from my current novel. The word .docx literally vanished off my computer and memory stick. Spent several hours searching and ending up punching the computer. Have only managed to re-write a fraction of what I've lost. :mad:

Another sleepless night I sent off a short script to the 503 showcase. All it needed was a little editing and a synopsis.

I'm also translating notes about my second novel into Welsh. Going to bite the bullet and complete a novel in Welsh. Short stories are all I've done so far. Not easy for me as it's not my first language - but I have to try.

On top of that I have a meeting with a director on Tuesday to discuss my idea for a short film. If all goes well I might get the green light to write the script. :D
    Good luck on Tuesday, eluf! You can do it.:D

I write on Google Drive, and also email latest drafts to myself. Soul-destroying when you lose something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    Be careful using .docx format if you're working on multiple PCs, I had an issue whereby random spaces were being removed. I thought I was going mad as I spent ages correcting them only to find different ones disappear! I'm now using the older .doc format and all is well. Always keep plenty of copies too, I keep my master on a memory stick but I also have copies on my work and home PCs as well as my NAS, not to mention the versions in emails where I've sent it to people for comment.

Hogzilla wrote: »
    Good luck on Tuesday, eluf! You can do it.:D

I write on Google Drive, and also email latest drafts to myself. Soul-destroying when you lose something.

I have a master copy on my PC and keep them on a memory stick and also e-mail copies to myself. I just can't understand how I managed to lose not only both copies, but also the last version I had was a week older. Grrrr.

Hogzilla, Victorian lunatic asylumns... sounds very Sarah Waters, very much the sort of thing I'd like to read.Love my history. (My bargain find this weekend was a brand new set of the complete works of Amanda Foreman for £8)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a master copy on my PC and keep them on a memory stick and also e-mail copies to myself. I just can't understand how I managed to lose not only both copies, but also the last version I had was a week older. Grrrr.

Hogzilla, Victorian lunatic asylumns... sounds very Sarah Waters, very much the sort of thing I'd like to read.Love my history. (My bargain find this weekend was a brand new set of the complete works of Amanda Foreman for £8)

Sarah Waters is great! I've also always had a soft spot for Jane Roger's 'Mr Wroe's Virgins'. That kind of thing is right up my street, I do seem to be cornering the market on mad people, suddenly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Waters is great! I've also always had a soft spot for Jane Roger's 'Mr Wroe's Virgins'. That kind of thing is right up my street, I do seem to be cornering the market on mad people, suddenly.

I tried to get Sarah Waters to come to a Victorian festival I helped organise last year as the visiting author. I think she is my favourite author - everything she writes is stylistically brilliant and so believable. Never read Mr Wroe's Virigins but will see if my library stocks it and have a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Best of luck for your meeting! Hope it goes well:D

How did you meet Hayley? Think she's quite a big cheese in the scriptwriting world.

It sucks when you lose your work but hopefully you'll be able to make it better - despite the big word loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandy73 wrote: »
    Best of luck for your meeting! Hope it goes well:D

How did you meet Hayley? Think she's quite a big cheese in the scriptwriting world.

It sucks when you lose your work but hopefully you'll be able to make it better - despite the big word loss.

I met Hayley when she was one of two script editors on a TAPS course I attended.

It was a useful course, shame it isn't running any longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, I've heard of TAPS. Wish they still were running them too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wel, it's been a fruitful week or so for me. This hot weather has screwed with my body clock, meaning I find it hard to go to sleep at normal times, so I've been writing into the small hours.

I'm making spanking progress translating my novel into Welsh. Very happy with how it's coming along. I've got the first 5 chapters done, so might proof-read them a few more times and then send them off to a publisher. By the time I get a response I hope I'll be close to finishing the first draft of the book.

On top of that, I had my meeting with the production company who want to make not one but two scripts - one short spec script I've already written and one they've comissioned me to write. I'm not getting too excited about it, as I know how often these deals fall through, but both films require zero budget and they have actors in mind already, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be seeing my work at a film festival some time next year.
  • Options
    monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been writing fictional diary entries for many years and I have been considering posting some of them to my FictionPress account to see what other people think. I will provide you the links to my FanFiction and FictionPress accounts so you can look at my stories and let me know what you think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wel, it's been a fruitful week or so for me. This hot weather has screwed with my body clock, meaning I find it hard to go to sleep at normal times, so I've been writing into the small hours.

I'm making spanking progress translating my novel into Welsh. Very happy with how it's coming along. I've got the first 5 chapters done, so might proof-read them a few more times and then send them off to a publisher. By the time I get a response I hope I'll be close to finishing the first draft of the book.

On top of that, I had my meeting with the production company who want to make not one but two scripts - one short spec script I've already written and one they've comissioned me to write. I'm not getting too excited about it, as I know how often these deals fall through, but both films require zero budget and they have actors in mind already, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be seeing my work at a film festival some time next year.
    I'm keeping everything crossed for you, eluf. x You can knock it out of the park.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monrose wrote: »
    I have been writing fictional diary entries for many years and I have been considering posting some of them to my FictionPress account to see what other people think. I will provide you the links to my FanFiction and FictionPress accounts so you can look at my stories and let me know what you think

Do you write random diary entries, or turn them into a narrative a la Adrian Mole?

Good diaries are very hard to write, I find. I wrote a whole novel in diary format and it was panned by someone who critiqued it, because each new entry hopped from one emotion to the next. I re-read it a few months ago and saw they were right - it was inconsistent and superficial. Anyone who can write a diary and avoid the temptation to jump straight to the juicy bits and make the every day detail the 'meat' of the story is a very skilled writer. I know I can't do it.
    I'm keeping everything crossed for you, eluf. x You can knock it out of the park.

Thanks Hogzilla. Your review meant a lot!

I've been toying with the idea of expanding 'Miss B' - I even wrote an additional chapter and have an idea of how it might play out... but part of me thinks that I chose that original ending point for a reason and I should resist the impulse. Its the sort of book which could become hyperbolic and unrealistic if I don't restrain myself.

I've done something impulsive - I sent off the first 4 chapters and a synopsis of my novel to the manager of Wales' largest publishing house. I met him at an event I was helping to host and he gave me his card and said if he could ever help, to get in touch... so I have.

Not started writing my short film script yet - but I have 8 days' worth of holidays to take so it looks as though I'll have lots of lovely time for writing over the next few days. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you write random diary entries, or turn them into a narrative a la Adrian Mole?

Good diaries are very hard to write, I find. I wrote a whole novel in diary format and it was panned by someone who critiqued it, because each new entry hopped from one emotion to the next. I re-read it a few months ago and saw they were right - it was inconsistent and superficial. Anyone who can write a diary and avoid the temptation to jump straight to the juicy bits and make the every day detail the 'meat' of the story is a very skilled writer. I know I can't do it.

Thanks Hogzilla. Your review meant a lot!

I've been toying with the idea of expanding 'Miss B' - I even wrote an additional chapter and have an idea of how it might play out... but part of me thinks that I chose that original ending point for a reason and I should resist the impulse. Its the sort of book which could become hyperbolic and unrealistic if I don't restrain myself.

I've done something impulsive - I sent off the first 4 chapters and a synopsis of my novel to the manager of Wales' largest publishing house. I met him at an event I was helping to host and he gave me his card and said if he could ever help, to get in touch... so I have.

Not started writing my short film script yet - but I have 8 days' worth of holidays to take so it looks as though I'll have lots of lovely time for writing over the next few days. :D

I write random diary entries but unlike most books, I write many different characters whereas other books focus on one characters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realised I forgot to post the links I was referring to yesterday. Here are the links provided

FanFiction http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2474004/monroserusher
    FictionPress http://www.fictionpress.com/u/813792/younghomiewhatyoutrippinon

Let me know afterwards what you guys think of my stories
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realised I forgot to post the links I was referring to yesterday. Here are the links provided

FanFiction http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2474004/monroserusher
    FictionPress http://www.fictionpress.com/u/813792/younghomiewhatyoutrippinon

I had a look but I'm not really a big fan of contemporary romance.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzski wrote: »
    Just started a new book and completed chapter 1 - still a bit rough and as I have no idea where most of the story is going yet - very likely to change!

Chapter 1

Washington D.C.

The sound of the gunshot reverberated through her entire body. Her sole purpose in life was to ensure that that was the last thing that could happen. She crashed through the door and was met by the sight of her colleague stemming the blood from a chest wound. Unfortunately it wasn’t his own.

“Shots fired, POTUS is down, I repeat POTUS is down,” she said calmly into her mic. Her training had taken over. She had trained for this her whole working life.

She swept the Yellow Oval room as more agents came crashing through the door. Trauma kits in hand, they rushed to the President’s aid.

“Bill?” she shouted, looking at her colleague pressing his hand into the president’s wound. The room was clear, except for the President and Bill, the head of the President’s Secret Service protection team. A Distinguished Service Cross lay on the floor next to the President, its recipient was nowhere to be seen. Frankie began to panic, her training had not covered the loss of a loved one.

“Balcony!” he motioned, withdrawing his hand to allow his colleagues to administer more professional assistance to the President. A spurt of blood shot into the air with the momentary drop in pressure during the handover.

Frankie rushed across the lounge and burst onto the second floor balcony, her gun at the ready. It was empty. The corner of her eye caught a movement on the railing that ran around the perimeter of the balcony. A thin wire was attached to the railing and was trailing down to the ground below. Frankie moved across and watched as the man unclipped himself from the wire and made off at a sprint.
    “Bill! Who’s Nick chasing?”
    “Chasing?!”
    “Who’s he chasing?! Where’s the shooter?!’ she shouted, scanning the grounds for whoever had taken the shot.
    “He’s not chasing, he’s running!” replied Bill, as he joined her.
    Frankie lined up her shot. He was already beyond pistol range but still within her capability. The image of the morning they had had flashed through her mind. She should be taking the shot. But it wasn’t right, she had him inside her, she could still feel him inside her.
    She hesitated. “Are you sure?” she shouted, taking aim.
    “Shoot him!’ screamed Bill, lining up his own shot.
    They both squeezed off shots, both missed, although only one wasn’t intentional.

“Shit! We missed him,” said Bill, watching Nick disappear around the side of the White House. Bill turned back towards the scene in the lounge as he spoke into his mic. “All agents, the shooter is Nick Geller, CIA agent, last seen on the South East corner of the residence, heading towards the Kennedy Gardens. He is armed and extremely…”

A massive explosion interrupted Bill, lifting him and Frankie off their feet and slamming them into the railing. As heavy dust filled the air, the entire west Wing of the White House lay in ruins. The President was holding on by a thread and Frankie held her stomach praying to God that the baby of the president’s would-be assassin was safe.

This is really good. If you hadn't of said it, I would know you were a professional writer from this excerpt.
  • Options
    Blackhorse47Blackhorse47 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope this will be helpful. I clicked into a couple of your stories and I thought I was reading a synopsis until I realized that the synopsis was the story. My suggestion is to take a deep breath and slow down. Expand your summary into a story. You could convert just about every piece of exposition into a scene and that would make good reading. Stories work best when they get the reader to experience events through the eyes of the characters; they work less well when they’re the author telling the reader that something interesting happened to some characters.

Anyhow I’ve finally entered the self-publishing world of Kindle with one of my early westerns. I’ve had a few books published for Kindle, but this is the first one I’ve done on my own. I had to type out the whole thing from my only copy of the original hardback, which was fun. It’s a light-hearted story mixing humour and action that I hope will appeal to western and non-western fans, and it’s available for the very reasonable price of 77p.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Shamus-McGintys-Fergal-ebook/dp/B00E98PI9W/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375285466&sr=1-2#_