Options

ITV to re-invent Thunderbirds in 2015

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if that will take off (no pun intended) a second time around - I hope it does though, I loved Thunderbirds :D I might even watch an episode or two :o
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are ITV stupid, you can recreate but not reinvent Thunderburds.

This has crap written l over it and as for the press' release, dear friggin god why do we need to know who the friggin producers are,
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they have a studio audience to clap through the theme tune?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not keen on it being CGI . are the characters going to be CGI? hope not .
  • Options
    KatanaBladeKatanaBlade Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are ITV stupid, you can recreate but not reinvent Thunderburds.

This has crap written l over it and as for the press' release, dear friggin god why do we need to know who the friggin producers are,

Because it's a press release?

Be interesting to see how it turns out but I'm not holding out much hope.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear :/
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having read through the "buzz-word" bingo press release, my initial reaction is that it is going to be dire.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has everyone forgotten already that ITV were behind the rather brilliant Captain Scarlet CGI series? Being as they have this proven track record with Anderson’s creations I see no reason why the automatic assumption should be that Thunderbirds will be “dire/crap/whatever...”.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGI = NO!

I don't need ITV ruining another classic! :mad:
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Has everyone forgotten already that ITV were behind the rather brilliant Captain Scarlet CGI series? Being as they have this proven track record with Anderson’s creations I see no reason why the automatic assumption should be that Thunderbirds will be “dire/crap/whatever...”.
    As long as it's the Captain Scarlet standard CGI and not the Thomas the Tank one.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooooo, which one of the Thunderbird pilots will be a girl in the remake? (I would guess T3 as Alan was always a bit girly)
    Will the Hood actually just be a misunderstood person, who eventually sees `the light` and goes straight.
    Will the T-birds run on bio fuels?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Doing the model work physically and the characters in CGI would strike me as backwards - although smoke, water and flame look dire in CGI even now.

Using a mixture of physical models and CGI for your effects is the best way to go.

They should have live actors for the parts.

The other concerning aspect is describing it as 'childrens' - most of the children who remember it are middle aged now - it should at worst be family show. That was the mistake made with the movie - aiming it at kids who have no affinity with the original series and leaving out the parents who did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member

ITV broadcast the series, but it was Gerry Anderson Productions that produced it and sold it to them. Plus, don't forget that when they finally bought the show they buried it on the Ministry of Mayhem and had episodes cut into two parts specifically against Gerry Anderson's wish that the show premiere in a more prominent afternoon slot.

ITV also wanted their own self-produced theme music to be used for New Captain Scarlet (there's few details, but it's easy to imagine the horror!), but Anderson resisted.

Based on Anderson's issues with how ITV treated his last series, the suspicious timing of this news of a new Thunderbirds does not bode well for the end product.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just repeat the originals again. That'll do for me.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film weren't much cop, although my kids loved it
  • Options
    simes188simes188 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Is this the remake that Gerry Anderson spoke about whnen he was interviewed on the BBC when the Thunderbirds stamps came out a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I think the shame is that it's aimed squarely at kids. My approach would have been to commission 42 minute episodes which sit nicely into an hour TV slot, then play it out on Saturday or Sunday tea time as a "family event" programme, taking over the Merlin or Dr Who audience.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hydebear wrote: »
    I think the shame is that it's aimed squarely at kids. My approach would have been to commission 42 minute episodes which sit nicely into an hour TV slot, then play it out on Saturday or Sunday tea time as a "family event" programme, taking over the Merlin or Dr Who audience.

yeah , Dr. Who and Primeval have demonstrated that a SF show can work in primetime , and Thunderbirds was originally shown in the evening , it was one of the most expensive shows ever made at the time , wish they'd treat it like that now .
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the Captain Scarlett remake. Plus the beauty of Thunderbirds was the puppets. Unless they are CGI to look exaclty the same its not going to have the same charm. They would just be imposters.
  • Options
    aquaplexaquaplex Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Apparently this is going to be a mix of CGI and models. Apparently this is gonna be on CITV so will no doubt be buried away.

It should not be for kids - it should be for families.

I wonder if characters like Tin Tin, Kyrano and Grandma will still feature? And if Thunderbird 3 might get more of a showing given that it never appeared in the original series (probably because at the time the old series was filmed, man had yet to set foot on the moon!)
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I have only one word.

SH1TE
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderbirds being CGI doesn't surprise me as puppets would have been impractical plus Gerry Anderson never really liked working with them, the fact WETA is involved is promising, would have prefer live action/CGI but that probably would have been too expensive,
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    A better remake would have been UFO, I'd love to see a decent remake on an Anderson show into a film, BUT I'd want them to use ex Anderson people to give it that Gerry Anderson feel.
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember this on Ministry of Mayhem when I was 12 and I loved it and if they can do something like this with Thunderbirds then it may be brilliant
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but how many celebrities has it got in it? You can't make a programme without them apparently.