Summer-born pupils 'should have exam scores boosted'

Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
Forum Member
✭✭
Summer-born children should have their exam marks boosted to compensate for being almost a year younger when they sit tests, a report argues.

In England, pupils born in August are less likely to get good GCSEs or go to university than those born in September, the Institute for Fiscal Studies says.

Some may even drop out of school.

The age-adjusted scores should be used to calculate school league table positions, the authors argue.

The report draws on an array of official data, including the National Pupil Database, which contains details of every pupil in England.

Pupils born in August are 6.4 percentage points less likely than September-born pupils to achieve five GCSEs at grades A* to C, the study finds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22469216

I'm not sure about this to be honest. I'm august 4th myself, regardless of when you are born you still receive the same quality education as everyone else, i.e. over the same timeframe 12 years.

When I think it does have an effect is usually in the early stages of education, ages 4-7 primary school.

I literally started school a month after my 4th birthday, somebody turning 5 in september would have 20% more development time than me, which is extremely significant then.

But by the time you get to 15, 16 does it really matter? Clearly the report says otherwise, us august born are 6.4% less likely to get 5 A*-C grades than those born in september.

Should those born in the summer get exam grades boosted? And if not? Why do those born in the summer fail more readily than those born in the autumn?

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thought.

I was born in June, but I don't think the lack of being given a 10 point start, or whatever, affected my academic achievements.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22469216

I'm not sure about this to be honest. I'm august 4th myself, regardless of when you are born you still receive the same quality education as everyone else, i.e. over the same timeframe 12 years.

When I think it does have an effect is usually in the early stages of education, ages 4-7 primary school.

I literally started school a month after my 4th birthday, somebody turning 5 in september would have 20% more development time than me, which is extremely significant then.

But by the time you get to 15, 16 does it really matter? Clearly the report says otherwise, us august born are 6.4% less likely to get 5 A*-C grades than those born in september.

Should those born in the summer get exam grades boosted? And if not? Why do those born in the summer fail more readily than those born in the autumn?

I tend to agree with you. I think it does make a significant difference in primary, especially for infants. (I know not all but I think the majority do find it hard when they start school after only just turning four compared with their peers).

Perhaps rather than boosting grades classes should be divided and taught by stage rather than age in the earlier years. Or...simple solution - the september borns sit their exams in January and the youngers sit theirs in summer! :D
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see how artificially boosting the scores of August born kids may be useful. All kids in a given year are expected to be at a certain level, and where they actually are compared to where the 'experts' say they should be usually determines which set they get placed into as the years go on. In the early school years, the almost year's difference between Aug and Sept born is significant, so an Aug born would (or should, unless they're particularly gifted) be behind their older classmates academically, however if the school grades and subsequently places everyone equally without taking this into consideration, the early kids could easily end up in the lower sets. This immediately limits what they will be taught and the maximum grade they can achieve, which then follows them throughout their school life, up to and including what GCSEs they'll be recommended, or even allowed, to take. Had their academic level been graded relative to their age and maturity way back and not their school year, it may have been discovered they were actually punching above their weight, been placed into a higher set and actually allowed to reach the potential they showed, rather than being handicapped from the off.
  • AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in July so started after summer aged 5. It was the ones who were born in feb that were the young ones as the cut off is end of feb? Confusing. Wonder if its different in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    we always had extra time one exams for being a late baby - does this not happen anymore?

I totally agree that there needs to be something done, those early years DO affect your learning later in life. As I've said on here many times, I'm incredibly dyslexic, and I'm sure thats got a lot to do with my early years teaching, not only am I a late august baby, but I wasn't taught in phonics. I was behind the rest of the class and largely ignored. Now thats not caused my dyslexia but does compound my difficulties.

My son is also a late august baby, and the difference in his advances compared to his best friend who is a year older (early sept) is amazing, he just doesn't grasp learning as quickly as his friend, I do wonder if I should of kept him home a year extra.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took the 11+ in the late 1960s and I understood that weight was given to the fact that I was a late July born baby. So it would simply be a return to earlier times rather than a new development.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I was for five years a year ahead at school. I didn't get any extra time. We just trotted along with the rest of them. The perils of being born in the winter.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    but they`ve attended the same classes as everyone else, i think it`s a crap idea.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this news? When I taught standardised tests were often calibrated for the child's age, which I felt was fairer, as knowing the kids as well as I did, I could see how bright one that was born in May was say, compared to one born in Sept, and knew their scores might not reflect that. I never taught a SATs year group (only on teaching practice), so had no idea they were such unsophisticated tests.

What you get when you let politicians dabble in education.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    My son's a late summer baby and in one school he was effectively a year younger than the rest of his classmates as everyone else had September birthdays, apart from one early October one.

He did okay but I do think he would've done better had he gone into the lower year. Maybe a more flexible system as far as admissions is the answer, with parents having more choice as far as starting dates/appropriate years for their child. Most know best whether their child is mature and/or academic, and it would possibly be a fairer way all round.
  • PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    My son's a late summer baby and in one school he was effectively a year younger than the rest of his classmates as everyone else had September birthdays, apart from one early October one.

He did okay but I do think he would've done better had he gone into the lower year. Maybe a more flexible system as far as admissions is the answer, with parents having more choice as far as starting dates/appropriate years for their child. Most know best whether their child is mature and/or academic, and it would possibly be a fairer way all round.

That is definitely the answer especially for boys. I live in a rural area and a lot of the local schools have this flexibility and it works out well for a friends August born son.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but they`ve attended the same classes as everyone else, i think it`s a crap idea.
    Which is the whole point of this report. The kids are taught, disciplined, treated and judged exactly the same as their classmates, regardless of age. The report is suggesting that's perhaps not a fair way to assess them, as the younger kids will almost always be behind the older ones, at least in the first few years, if judged to the same standards.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one more attempt to make excuses for those that fail.

Why won't people just admit that some people are good at stuff and others are bad?

It's just ADHD all over again.
  • miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »

Everything you have said sums it up for me.
    My boys started at 4, just weeks after their 4th birthday, I wanted to defer for another year, but I was told, in fact they insisted, that my children were ready for school.
    So, off they went, they are now year 3 and are still behind the other children academically! I don't think they should have started until they were 5, but hey ho, they are there now, they have made friends, to hold them back a year at this point would be a) extremely unfair, and b) lead to ridicule.
    They are catching up, but very very slowly, and they struggle a lot. It's lead to major confidence issues as they know they are behind the rest of their classes, they feel 'stupid' which they are not by any means.
    It doesn't help that they had a pretty major speech delay, which still affects them albeit minor now. And it really didn't help that twin 1 had an awful teacher in year 1 who never remembered the fact he was almost a whole year younger than the rest of his class and had speech issues.
    We have issues now with one twin feeling more stupid than his own brother :( because twin 2 is doing much better at the moment.
    But I digress, in short I don't think that summer born children should have their exam scores boosted, but I think the class dynamic needs to change, everyone in the class needs to be the same age as much as possible. One boy in one of my boys classes is 11 1/2 months older than mine! I don't think there should be such a hefty age gap to be honest.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    That is definitely the answer especially for boys. I live in a rural area and a lot of the local schools have this flexibility and it works out well for a friends August born son.

With a September birthday I was always the oldest in my year as is one of my kids, now. At Infants school, they did somehow put me in the year above where I was very happy, but then at some point I had to have a lag, and stay behind and join my 'real' year. Cos I was a bright kid and nearly a year older than some of them, it was the most boring thing on earth, going back in with the kids I was meant to be with and one reason I became a school refuser later on - as the work was too boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm technically summer born and was one of the oldest in my year, I was born in June.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old mate Pete was born in August (the rest of us were earlier) and he was the only one of our gang to go to university! And anyway, pass marks are too low already - back in the 60's you were one of the elite few if you got an A. You were on your way to a top job, and those with a B were sought after too, but now it seems anything less than an A is regarded as a failure.
  • miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one more attempt to make excuses for those that fail.

Why won't people just admit that some people are good at stuff and others are bad?

It's just ADHD all over again.

What a fantastic blanket statement!

It's nothing to do with making excuses for failing, it's about helping those who struggle to keep up with classmates a year older to succeed!
    It's all about finding ways to encourage children, to give them a better chance at education.
    Perhaps the reason for so many failing students, who give up on education in later years, can be solved with simplicity, meaning more children stay in school.
    It is not nice to feel like you are stupid in comparison to every one else in your year.
    As a parent, it is horrid to watch your child struggle with the peer group they have when you are pretty sure they would do much better if they had started school just one year later.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Acornati wrote: »
    I was born in July so started after summer aged 5. It was the ones who were born in feb that were the young ones as the cut off is end of feb? Confusing. Wonder if its different in Scotland.

It is. :) No reception here, our kids attend nursery class from 3 until starting Primary 1 in the August of the year they turn 5. Cut off is the end of February so we also have the option to defer entry to school for a year if the Early Years Workers and parents agree the child would benefit. Funding is granted for an extra year at nursery, allowing the January/February born kids time to mature.

I think that makes more sense than artificially bumping up grades.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Which is the whole point of this report. The kids are taught, disciplined, treated and judged exactly the same as their classmates, regardless of age. The report is suggesting that's perhaps not a fair way to assess them, as the younger kids will almost always be behind the older ones, at least in the first few years, if judged to the same standards.

i was thinking more of 15-16 year olds.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miss-kitty wrote: »
    What a fantastic blanket statement!

It's nothing to do with making excuses for failing, it's about helping those who struggle to keep up with classmates a year older to succeed!
    It's all about finding ways to encourage children, to give them a better chance at education.
    Perhaps the reason for so many failing students, who give up on education in later years, can be solved with simplicity, meaning more children stay in school.
    It is not nice to feel like you are stupid in comparison to every one else in your year.
    As a parent, it is horrid to watch your child struggle with the peer group they have when you are pretty sure they would do much better if they had started school just one year later.

Some people are just stupid though, but as a society we're not allowed to admit it.
    Some people just can't be arsed either and will blame everything from their date of birth to the colour of the sky for their failings.
    We just make too many excuses for them imo.

My son was born on the 8th of August and was the youngest in his class by nearly a whole year, he's done well and he didn't feel the need for excuses.
  • PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    With a September birthday I was always the oldest in my year as is one of my kids, now. At Infants school, they did somehow put me in the year above where I was very happy, but then at some point I had to have a lag, and stay behind and join my 'real' year. Cos I was a bright kid and nearly a year older than some of them, it was the most boring thing on earth, going back in with the kids I was meant to be with and one reason I became a school refuser later on - as the work was too boring.

My sons friend is now 8 . He stayed in Nursery until the summer he turned 5 and joined reception that September. He continued to stay a year behind. until he joined his "real" classmates in Year 3 and is doing very well.

She thinks it was the best thing she could have done for him as she did not think he was ready

It's small school, only about 70 pupils and I think that this what made the transition so easy. Each couple of year groups shared a classroom so he really was just in the "other group".
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Acornati wrote: »

Yeah it does appear to be different up here, my birthday was in November so I started school when I was 4 in August, just before I turned 5 It seems more popular now if your child is born just before the cut off point, you can have the option of starting them a year later at 5.

I don't think it makes much difference in that case academically though, I never felt too young at primary, and I was above average in my achievements.

I think starting primary school as you turn 4 is a too soon though, if that is the case, you are just out of toddler stages really..I did not realise the age cut off was quite different down south to be honest.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to see views saying that there should be no difference and that they are taught the same as everyone else so why make an allowance!

I wonder if the same people would say the same thing about children in nursery...should a 18 month old's development be the same as the 3 year old he is playing with and getting the same attention as? Is a 2 year old showing signs of failure because their speech and fine motor skills are not the same as a 3 year old even though they sit at the same table, use the same pencils and are given the same instructions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was thinking more of 15-16 year olds.
    But by then it's too late to do anything to correct it, because the decision on how intelligent the child is, and therefore what level of education they'll be given throughout their school life, was determined five or so (maybe more) years ago. In the later years, kids are placed into sets based on how well they've done in previous tests, so although all kids in the same class get the same education, all kids in the same year do not.