Is this acceptable?

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
Basically, there was just a huge bust-up between my me and my dad this evening...

It started in a stupid way, but turned nasty quickly... So, there are two TVs in my house. I was going next door to watch Big Brother, which my parents seem to have a problem with me watching, but then I noticed the card had been taken out of the TV so I couldn't watch it.

I went through to my dad and asked about it, and he said he didn't want me watching big brother ( I AM SIXTEEN), and so i asked why completely calmly, np swearing, although i didn't say please! (:eek: *rolleyes*).

He started ranting about how i had an attitude problem. Now im wise enough to acknowledge that i do swear a bit, but when i asked jim about it, to defend myself, he couldn't think of anything specific.

He then said, 'Im gonna go f*cking crazy with you in a minute!' He got out if his chair and i knew he was going to get physical, and i warned him that i was holding freshly made coffee (not because i was going to throw ir ar him, bur i could have spilt it over myself), and he said 'I don't f*cking care!'

He grabbed my arms, and shouted in my face, causing me to spill mu coffee over the floor, and i pushed him away and burst into tears

Then ir basically turned into a shouting match, with him telling mw how bad my attitude was, and this was in front of the whole family, and my mum wouldn't even defend me against his behaviour, and so i basically just told him he was a terrible father, and stuff like that!

I just feel its so unjust that he can treat me, a sixteen year old like that?... Yes, he pays the bills, hut there's a difference between having authority and being a complete dictator, and getting physical.

What do people think?

Comments

• AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #TeenageTantrums
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, there was just a huge bust-up between my me and my dad this evening...

It started in a stupid way, but turned nasty quickly... So, there are two TVs in my house. I was going next door to watch Big Brother, which my parents seem to have a problem with me watching, but then I noticed the card had been taken out of the TV so I couldn't watch it.

I went through to my dad and asked about it, and he said he didn't want me watching big brother ( I AM SIXTEEN), and so i asked why completely calmly, np swearing, although i didn't say please! (:eek: *rolleyes*).

He started ranting about how i had an attitude problem. Now im wise enough to acknowledge that i do swear a bit, but when i asked jim about it, to defend myself, he couldn't think of anything specific.

He then said, 'Im gonna go f*cking crazy with you in a minute!' He got out if his chair and i knew he was going to get physical, and i warned him that i was holding freshly made coffee (not because i was going to throw ir ar him, bur i could have spilt it over myself), and he said 'I don't f*cking care!'

He grabbed my arms, and shouted in my face, causing me to spill mu coffee over the floor, and i pushed him away and burst into tears

Then ir basically turned into a shouting match, with him telling mw how bad my attitude was, and this was in front of the whole family, and my mum wouldn't even defend me against his behaviour, and so i basically just told him he was a terrible father, and stuff like that!

I just feel its so unjust that he can treat me, a sixteen year old like that?... Yes, he pays the bills, hut there's a difference between having authority and being a complete dictator, and getting physical.

What do people think?

Tune into any news channel and you'll get a taste of really important issues.
  • HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What card had been taken out of the TV, who is Jim and what kind of freshy made coffee was it?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you're about to win the eviction vote.
  • angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol youve taken it too seriously I think, maybe he had a point about not wanting you to watch big brother but i think it is your own choice what you watch. Big brother is a load of rubbish lol.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your dad's right you shouldn't be watching Big Brother...listen to him those are words of wisdom, perhaps your attitude is because you don't take his knowledge and advice, which is for your benefit.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, with the kind of inane replies you're getting, maybe saturday night was the wrong night to pose this kind of question.

anyway, it's of course unacceptable for a parent to get physical with you to that degree.

what might have been a better course of action would be to have said "ok sure" and left the room when he initially said he didn't want you watching the show.

staying there and questioning him as to why he feels you've got an attitude problem may well have seemed to you as defending yourself, but it could well have come across to him as you wanting a confrontation.

i'd be inclined to try and talk to him maybe first thing in the morning. sit down with him and assure him you just want to chat.

if you feel you can't do that, then maybe write him a letter and sit there and wait until he reads it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe write him a letter and sit there and wait until he reads it.
    Or, lock yourself in the bedroom and play this at full blast.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3y9llDXuM
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a parent's point of view, and I know it sounds as if I'm dismissing you (but read on), it sounds like yet another 'battle' between a teen and his/her parent. You may have a few or more than a few, but they're quite common.

Whether he's out of order or not? Well, to me it sounds silly to restrict a 16-yr-old from watching Big Brother, and, if you genuinely were calm (and not 'gritted teeth' calm), then his reaction is surprising. However, he might have been waiting for the confrontation and been all geared up for you being a git with him, and that's the reaction you got. You say you've been sweary with him before now, so maybe it's that that's got his back up with you in general. I know I never liked it one bit when my sons got like that with me.

There isn't that much you can do, though. It's your parents' house, therefore their rules. I don't watch BB so I've no idea what it's like with regard to adult material but like I said you're 16. Your mum wasn't necessarily out of order for not siding with you in front of your dad, because parents should keep a united front unless it's really bad treatment from one of them. You can bet she'll have said something once you've left the room, though.

So, there are a couple of options:

1. Ride it all out until you've got your own place, then you can watch what you want, but that'll take a while yet.
    2. Back down, chill out, don't swear at him and try to get a better atmosphere going at home.

One question: you said they seem to have a problem with you watching, and now they've taken the card out of the TV - that sounds like a 'last resort' type of thing to stop you watching. Have you had previous arguments about it, then?
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    From a parent's point of view, and I know it sounds as if I'm dismissing you (but read on), it sounds like yet another 'battle' between a teen and his/her parent. You may have a few or more than a few, but they're quite common.

Whether he's out of order or not? Well, to me it sounds silly to restrict a 16-yr-old from watching Big Brother, and, if you genuinely were calm (and not 'gritted teeth' calm), then his reaction is surprising. However, he might have been waiting for the confrontation and been all geared up for you being a git with him, and that's the reaction you got. You say you've been sweary with him before now, so maybe it's that that's got his back up with you in general. I know I never liked it one bit when my sons got like that with me.

There isn't that much you can do, though. It's your parents' house, therefore their rules. I don't watch BB so I've no idea what it's like with regard to adult material but like I said you're 16. Your mum wasn't necessarily out of order for not siding with you in front of your dad, because parents should keep a united front unless it's really bad treatment from one of them. You can bet she'll have said something once you've left the room, though.

1. Ride it all out until you've got your own place, then you can watch what you want, but that'll take a while yet.
    2. Back down, chill out, don't swear at him and try to get a better atmosphere going at home.

One question: you said they seem to have a problem with you watching, and now they've taken the card out of the TV - that sounds like a 'last resort' type of thing to stop you watching. Have you had previous arguments about it, then?

Thankyou for your reply :)

It sounds strange but I actually swear a lot more in my mothers company because I feel more comfortable around her, and I only swear ar my father when I'm seething.

And I must admit it was a gritted teeth calm. We'd already had a run-in about it on Monday - he came in while I was watching it and turned it off in the middle of the climax, and very forcefully told me to go to bed. I politely declined, and turned ir back on and he left. However, to prove a point, he deleted all the BB I had recorded (I've been away since Monday), and them, when I got back he'd taken the card out, just to prove a point, and ensure that I was unable to watch it, and so that really got my back up, but I had to remain calm, because I knew if I were to get through ir at all, it would have to be with a calm approach.

With regards to your options, I discovered that I fan still get the first five channels without the card so I actually still got to watch it! :D I am not sure whether he gleaned that I was watching it or not :D
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Watch it on your own TV?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

....he came in while I was watching it and turned it off in the middle of the climax, and very forcefully told me to go to bed. I politely declined, and turned ir back on and he left.
    Oh, I'd like to hear both sides of this one :D
    I bet Dad sees BB as symptomatic of a much wider issue.

Good to hear you're relaxed about bad language in front of Mum .
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    You've had numerous people tell you in numerous threads about your interactions with your dad but don't take it on board, why do you keep asking?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou for your reply :)

It sounds strange but I actually swear a lot more in my mothers company because I feel more comfortable around her, and I only swear ar my father when I'm seething.

And I must admit it was a gritted teeth calm. We'd already had a run-in about it on Monday - he came in while I was watching it and turned it off in the middle of the climax, and very forcefully told me to go to bed. I politely declined, and turned ir back on and he left. However, to prove a point, he deleted all the BB I had recorded (I've been away since Monday), and them, when I got back he'd taken the card out, just to prove a point, and ensure that I was unable to watch it, and so that really got my back up, but I had to remain calm, because I knew if I were to get through ir at all, it would have to be with a calm approach.

With regards to your options, I discovered that I fan still get the first five channels without the card so I actually still got to watch it! :DI am not sure whether he gleaned that I was watching it or not :D

I wouldn't grin, he probably has...and he will be removing the TV shortly.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I wouldn't grin, he probably has...and he will be removing the TV shortly.

Emm..no I don't think he did, otherwise he'd have come in ar the time.
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    You've had numerous people tell you in numerous threads about your interactions with your dad but don't take it on board, why do you keep asking?

Numerous threads?... Not really. Two, three at most, and each was conceding a different issue.

And why do you think I didn't take ir on board? Although, tbf, there's normally about one in ten replies that are sensible / useful.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Stop swearing in front of your long-suffering mother who is in the middle of this, she deserves more respect.
    2. Pick your battles with your father - is it really that vital that you watch inane BB rubbish? Is it worth all this fuss to get your own way? Compromise - think about who pays for TV..?
    3. Hi-five Relly for such sensible advice
    4. How to move on - Do chores for TV privilages? Agree Father doesnt get physical as long as you stick to rules etc.. Unless you pay for TV he can delete what he likes whether it's to prove a point or not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Numerous threads?... Not really. Two, three at most, and each was conceding a different issue.

And why do you think I didn't take ir on board? Although, tbf, there's normally about one in ten replies that are sensible / useful.
    So what would your sensible advice be to a poster with the same issue?
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be far more upset that my mum didn't even defend me.

I remember my dad and brother having a bad argument when he was 17 (I was 16 at the time), and my dad was yelling at him, and lunged at him - had never been physical before with him, and my mum launched in front of my brother, yelling, "you touch him and I'll tear your f&£@:!g head off!!" And that was that, he calmed right down, my mum barely swears and is pretty intense when she wants, but really motherly protection kicked in.

I'd be upset she just did nothing, that aside, speak to him, tell him that it frightens you when he acts like that, you don't want a dad that would hit or physically threaten you, if he gives a damn, then he'll speak to you about it. After all it's a stupid tv show, if he gets this irate, well the pair of you, over something so trivial, it'd worry about the altercations in the future, over things that actually matter.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »

The op has issues with his dad I remember his I resent my parents marriage thread, he has a chip on his shoulder, feels entitled and believes his lack of a better dad turned him gay, though he is supposedly still in the closet, he has real resentment for him
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    couldn't you just watch big brother online - on 5 catch up.
    you will be happy you can watch it & he is none of the wiser.
    I hope he isn't one of these monitor kids online & child lock fathers and you can do that.

I remember being 16 though he is in charge so to speak at that age you are old enough to make decisions on viewing habit etc , what does he expect you to watch cartoons & cbeebies.
    You should be able to make your own mistakes now you are at this age , you are bound to clash with him & go against what he wants. That is part of being a teen which some posters seem to be forgetting a bit.
    I was lucky growing up my parents were very open - parenting can be sensible but sometimes borders on suffocation.
    Watching BB will hardly scar you for life unlike these rows which are more damaging.

Going by past issues it seems i think the tv argument is just the surface of issues between you both.
    i hope you can sort it out :)
    Forum Member
    So what would your sensible advice be to a poster with the same issue?

If I knew the answer to that question, why would I have posted this thread?
    TWS wrote: »
    The op has issues with his dad I remember his I resent my parents marriage thread, he has a chip on his shoulder, feels entitled and believes his lack of a better dad turned him gay, though he is supposedly still in the closet, he has real resentment for him
    I competelu disregard this - all you want to do is make me look and feel bad, and stir things up.
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    couldn't you just watch big brother online - on 5 catch up.
    you will be happy you can watch it & he is none of the wiser.
    I hope he isn't one of these monitor kids online & child lock fathers and you can do that.

I remember being 16 though he is in charge so to speak at that age you are old enough to make decisions on viewing habit etc , what does he expect you to watch cartoons & cbeebies.
    You should be able to make your own mistakes now you are at this age , you are bound to clash with him & go against what he wants. That is part of being a teen which some posters seem to be forgetting a bit.
    I was lucky growing up my parents were very open - parenting can be sensible but sometimes borders on suffocation.
    Watching BB will hardly scar you for life unlike these rows which are more damaging.

Going by past issues it seems i think the tv argument is just the surface of issues between you both.
    i hope you can sort it out :)
    oh, hi Natalie! :D
    Thanks for your reply. It makes sense :)
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had no right to get physical with you, that's bang out of order.

BB's not worth falling out over though.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    If I knew the answer to that question, why would I have posted this thread?

I competelu disregard this - all you want to do is make me look and feel bad, and stir things up.

oh, hi Natalie! :D
    Thanks for your reply. It makes sense :)

And as usual you are only happy to accept posts that chime with what you want to hear.
    I remember the thread about your parents' marriage and how you wished he'd leave so you could have your Mother to yourself.
    Typical teenage selfishness but still not very edifying.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Television is chewing gum for the mind. Read some decent literature instead and invest in a dictionary to improve your vocabulary and get rid of the vulgarity that is swearing.