Inspiron 1300/McAfee/Tiscali Broadband.

Hi all, just looking for some advice please.

I set up my laptop last night and updated the loaded Mcafee Internet Security+Firewall Plus, and I am using Tiscali Broadband.

I am getting "connection attempt blocked" pop ups every 30 secs approx, and when running the ip trace, the majority are either from Lambeth or elsewhere in the world and routed through Lambeth. The registrar is tiscali, and the domain on these attempts is showing "as9105.com" which on investigation leads back to the tiscali website? I have contacted Mcafee on their chat system who advised me to turn off the 'block ads' and 'block pop up' options, neither of which has resolved the problem. I have also tried switching the settings from broadband to 'dial up' in the firewall config to see if it was an isolated broadband issue, and that has not solved it either.

In desperation, I have turned off the alert box feature to get a minute's peace from the alerts as I can't even get this message typed without having to stop and click "continue what I was doing" about fifteen times, but turning the red alerts off totally means that I don't see an alert which could be a hacker and need tracing(although the attempt is still recorded in the logs)

The ports being battered are 135 139 and 445, all TCP, an isolated attack on port 1433, and with an occasional port 19081(UDP) getting hit by an ip of untraceable registrar/location/details .

Has anyone else had this problem with Mcafee and blocking ips that trace back to a tiscali subdomain? There are 1093 of these 'attacks' logged today, and I've only been on for about three hours :eek:

Thanks in advance, off now to get rid of the AOL blurb that keeps loading... :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't really help with your problem, but I personally wouldn't use Mcafee on a 1300.

I was thinking about getting an Inspiron 1300 from Dell. If I were you I'd take off Mcafee and use some leaner packages. Mcafee's a hog.

Try Kerio Firewall, Avast antivirus and Spywareblaster. The three work well together, especially when teamed with Firefox and Adblock, and don't grind down your system.
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dreamypuma wrote:
    Can't really help with your problem, but I personally wouldn't use Mcafee on a 1300.

I was thinking about getting an Inspiron 1300 from Dell. If I were you I'd take off Mcafee and use some leaner packages. Mcafee's a hog.

Try Kerio Firewall, Avast and Spywareblaster. The three work well together and don't grind down your system.

Gotta say the 1300 itself is a beauty for the price I paid.

The McAfee was already loaded, thanks for the tip, I shall go read up about Kerio now. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta say the 1300 itself is a beauty for the price I paid.

The McAfee was already loaded, thanks for the tip, I shall go read up about Kerio now. :)

I'm holding out on the 1300 for a while. I quite like the Dell budget range of Desktops. I bought one for my sister.

Want a 1300, but i'll hold on for a while.

I personally think you will see your Dell 1300 spring to life if you get rid of Mcafee. Nortons is the same. Stay well away.

The best thing about all the packages I've suggested is that they are all free (Or have free editions)

I'm on an old machine now and hate big graphic intensive packages slowing my system.