Can anyone recommend a free forum service?

Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,109
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd like to set up a small forum for my local community. Nothing to rival DS!

Can anyone recommend a free, or cheap, service to set up and administer a forum? Ideally, I'd want a PHP-based forum that allows me to get an SQL dump, in case I want to move the data in the future.

I was going to use ForumsPlace, but their forums don't seem to be working atm, and they don't offer SQL dumps.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    You could try phpbb or proboards. I've used both and they're very reliable, although I don't know whether they will allow you to do "an SQL dump" as I'm unsure what this is :o
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I should have explained better. I was looking for a service where they host it and set it up for you too (not asking too much eh? ;) )

The "SQL dump" allows you to take all the data from the database and move it to a different host should the need arise.

I'll have a look at ProBoards as you suggested. Also, there's a link on the PHPBB site to FreeForums, so I might investigate that too :)
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Why dont you get some Free web hosting and Install phpBB yourself, that way should you ever need to move you can get a forum backup whenever you need and also install your own modifications and themes :)
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most free forum hosts will not let you back up the database yourself. If you ever want to move you will have to ask them for it and they may well charge for it. Some won't let you have it at all.

You can get your own hosting very cheaply these days and set it up yourself. That way you get your own domain name and the ability to backup and change anything you want. if you look around you can get some server space and enough bandwidth for under £50 a year. You could even put google ads on to get back some of your costs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    I was looking for a service where they host it and set it up for you too

Proboards can do that for you so it sounds ideal for your needs. However, using phpbb, as other posters are saying, may be the best long term solution.
    The "SQL dump" allows you to take all the data from the database and move it to a different host should the need arise.

Thanks for explaining :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest it's the installation of phpBB that scares me :o

Also I was hoping to "dip my toe into the water" to see how popular it might be before committing any time or money.

But if I can't move the data from a free forum host, I might have to set it up for myself from the start.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phpBB installation is a doddle.
    You just fill some stuff in (which you will already know once you've made your database) and that's it. Again, it's a great support site over there and lots of people will help you go through it.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    To be honest it's the installation of phpBB that scares me :o

Also I was hoping to "dip my toe into the water" to see how popular it might be before committing any time or money.

But if I can't move the data from a free forum host, I might have to set it up for myself from the start.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I can always help you if needed. Ive installed and setup many forums in the past :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's really kind! I'll send you a PM if I get stuck...
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend phpBB too - really easy to setup, secure and very reliable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I suggest trying out phpBB. phpBB 3 is by far the best forum software I’ve ever used, it’s open-source so it’s free to download and use. It’s simple and doesn’t include all the “unneccessary” features you speak off. It’s minimal. Vanilla doesn’t even come close to competing with phpBB, so yeah - give it a try.
    If you haven't got much time, and want to see what the new phpbb3 can offer, just try it out on this host : free forum hosting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I would say PHPBB. Very easy to set up. You can shop around for free web hosting and a lot of them have scripts ready to install. I have my own site with a PHPBB forum set up. So if you need any help just let me know. :)

My Forum Here :)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    does your host not install any scripts for you???? mine has phpbb
  • Matt00011Matt00011 Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple Machines Forum for me is the best free forum software i've ever used. Easy to setup, configure and very secure.

Mods and other features such as portals are a breeze to setup aswell using package manager. ;)

I thought about PHPBB, but this is as good as if not better.

http://www.simplemachines.org/
  • neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    Matt00011 wrote: »
    Simple Machines Forum for me is the best free forum software i've ever used. Easy to setup, configure and very secure.

Mods and other features such as portals are a breeze to setup aswell using package manager. ;)

I thought about PHPBB, but this is as good as if not better.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

Yeah i use SMF for my forums as well.

Doddle to set up and doddle to configure. Also the Tiny Portal addon is superb :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    http://forumotion.com has both phpBB 2 and phpBB 3 as options, and even Invision. I prefer phpBB 3, personally, as it combines some of the best features of phpBB2 and IPB. If I recall correctly from testing the service before getting paid hosting for my message board, it's also ad-free and has some interested add-on modules for you to play along with.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I'll second forumotion.com. I've recently set up my first forum and found it really easy with them. Ad-free and it actually looks like I knew what I was doing....finding my way around the admin section was fairly easy to. Plenty of help topics available...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ill vote for PHPBB really easy to set up, I am hosting this one myself on my home server www.chattaboxforums.com took about a hour to set up