Options

cash payments by text

2»

Comments

• Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I know what the link was for. I am not saying to not bother with pay by text, with parking and they are not going to replace the machines, so people will still be able to pay by cash.
    so the machines will still have to be emptied.

But people have been complaining for a couple of years now that the council should have a pay on exit and not entry. But this pay by text for parking seems to be the council way of doing that. not everyone got a mobile phone, not everyone want to register their vehicle with who knows what they are.
    just more funny handshakes and we will give you a cut of what we take, so making more money for the council to waste.
    :confused:
    Not really about what the Council do or don't do with the money they collect (from any source) but, about the convenience to the consumer of using pay by text.
    As it's voluntary and extremely convenient I see no downside to the process other than imaginary ones....:)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what the link was for. I am not saying to not bother with pay by text, with parking and they are not going to replace the machines, so people will still be able to pay by cash.
    so the machines will still have to be emptied.

But people have been complaining for a couple of years now that the council should have a pay on exit and not entry. But this pay by text for parking seems to be the council way of doing that. not everyone got a mobile phone, not everyone want to register their vehicle with who knows what they are.
    just more funny handshakes and we will give you a cut of what we take, so making more money for the council to waste.
    NCP also do a phone app so it's not just councils.
    I should think anyone who drives has a mobile and if they don't, then they are foolish, since the number of phone boxes has rapidly diminished. It's really about making it easier for the driver. For example, went to Ipswich to the cinema and at the car park, we find that the prices are really high, but you can claim back £4 from the cinema. Just about have enough coins between us for £6 fee. The top price was £12 and the machine doesn't even take notes or cards, let alone pay by text. Who has £12 in coins on them?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    :confused:
    Not really about what the Council do or don't do with the money they collect (from any source) but, about the convenience to the consumer of using pay by text.
    As it's voluntary and extremely convenient I see no downside to the process other than imaginary ones....:)

People have been complaining for a few years now of being fined in our carparks for say going over the limit by even a couple of minutes and have been asking about pay on exit, which would solve the problem. But our council seems not to want to do that, no doubt makes too much money on the fines.

Now all of a sudden they have come out with this pay by text, which I got nothing against, but it seems to me that it is another way for our council to make more money as it will cost people extra to pay this way. Sure it will allow to top up their parking if they find they are going over the limit, that is of cause if they can use their phone at the time.

But what about tourist? you got to register your car at this pay by phone company, so another database by another private company and if you are a tourist you may not want to register for something you may never use again.

So the council have not solved a problem, there still keeping the pay on entry system, so people will still be fined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    NCP also do a phone app so it's not just councils.
    I should think anyone who drives has a mobile and if they don't, then they are foolish, since the number of phone boxes has rapidly diminished.

What a load of crap, My dad drives but he don't have a mobile. admittedly he don't drive far these days, but that is not the point. I do not take too kindly on people calling my Dad foolish.

Even if people do have a mobile they may not have internet access, which you need to register your car and some people even if they got a mobile phone they may only know how to call and receive.

Other people may not want to register their car registration with a private company, there are enough private companies as it is poking their noses into databases they should not be.
    It's really about making it easier for the driver. For example, went to Ipswich to the cinema and at the car park, we find that the prices are really high, but you can claim back £4 from the cinema. Just about have enough coins between us for £6 fee. The top price was £12 and the machine doesn't even take notes or cards, let alone pay by text. Who has £12 in coins on them?

Looking at their website, there can be all sort of problems, if you got two cars, you could enter the wrong one, you could enter the wrong bay you park in, saying that I don't know how this system will work in a car park by our footballl ground, there are no bays.

lots of things to go wrong.
    Machines these days should be able to take debit/credit cards, on exit, not entry. it is all about making money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyway, back on topic (grinding axes over councils aside!). The advantages of the system will far outweigh any negatives.
    If they can run it successfully in third world countries I'm sure it'll work here.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, back on topic (grinding axes over councils aside!). The advantages of the system will far outweigh any negatives.
    If they can run it successfully in third world countries I'm sure it'll work here.

I assume the advantage being it is just another way of paying? The example given previously about paying for a meal still only works if payment is cleared immediately. Is that what happens?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I assume the advantage being it is just another way of paying? The example given previously about paying for a meal still only works if payment is cleared immediately. Is that what happens?

As far as I know the payments will be guaranteed, but not necessarily instant, it will depend on the banks implementation. It's a tried and tested method used in various places around the world.
    In the UK the banks are signing up to it, but, in other places independent companies can set up a similar system. this means those without bank accounts can use it. Dependent on regulation, I guess the same can happen here.
    It will be a major help for micro businesses and you will be able to use it to pay people who can't take cards...
    I don't think the majority of people will use it for things like meal payments etc., where card terminals are available, so that wasn't too good an example. In theory you could sell your mate something and he could pay you via text message.
    It will be interesting to see how the UK implements it. Cost will be a major consideration....Will they charge or won't they? Yet to see....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Soon I would imagine cash will only be used for minimal tasks maybe as little as only 10 years away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this could be the most popular method of payment before long.
    It would seem that the UK is in a unique position, in that it can implement it via existing structures across different banks. Which means the payments should be instant and even safer than chip and pin. Better still, it should be free or at least very cheap to use.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this could be the most popular method of payment before long.
    It would seem that the UK is in a unique position, in that it can implement it via existing structures across different banks. Which means the payments should be instant and even safer than chip and pin. Better still, it should be free or at least very cheap to use.

I don't see this being that popular. It offers very little (if anything) beyond the current card system.

There are so few businesses that don't take cards and as we have no idea of fees, it may not be cheaper than card processing.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Edit:- Deleted, no point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I don't see this being that popular. It offers very little (if anything) beyond the current card system.

There are so few businesses that don't take cards and as we have no idea of fees, it may not be cheaper than card processing.

It offers a lot more than the present card system. You make a few assumptions, To make a card payment you have to be at the business with the payment terminal. You cannot pay individuals with a card, Tradesmen who would normally be cash or cheque can be paid without you having to remember any bank details.
    You'll even be able to order drinks from the bar and pay without leaving your seat..:)
    It's an opt in system, so you'll be able to sit on the side lines until you decide you can't live without it.....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    secu wrote: »
    Soon I would imagine cash will only be used for minimal tasks maybe as little as only 10 years away.

So you can see the future now? how many times have we been told about the so called cashless society? No doubt about as much as we been told about the paperless office.

All these pay by text or app systems seems to be a load of hassle just to pay.
    NFC is faster, but seems to have come to little, and what is wrong with being able to pay with debit/credit card at these carparks or anything else for that matter?

They don't give a crap how easy it is for the public to pay for things, all they want is the public to spend more money.

Would you really give your phone number to someone you don't really know so you can pay them?

there are ways now for small businesses to take credit cards, a friend of mine does it already and it cost her very little. Her view on this pay by text is no doubt it will cost someone something and could work out more expensive than credit cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It offers a lot more than the present card system. You make a few assumptions, To make a card payment you have to be at the business with the payment terminal. You cannot pay individuals with a card, Tradesmen who would normally be cash or cheque can be paid without you having to remember any bank details.

A few ways for tradesmen to be paid by card these days.

You'll even be able to order drinks from the bar and pay without leaving your seat..:)

Great, another way to make people too lazy to stand up and when they do, they find out they can't as they have drunk too much.
    It's an opt in system, so you'll be able to sit on the side lines until you decide you can't live without it.....;)

Of cause it is a out in system, that can't force you to have it and as for not being able to live without it, i think I could manage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few ways for tradesmen to be paid by card these days.
    Yes, you are right and this is just another way.....

Great, another way to make people too lazy to stand up and when they do, they find out they can't as they have drunk too much.
    Well I don't go to the pub for exercise. I save that for the gym.
    Of cause it is a out in system, that can't force you to have it and as for not being able to live without it, i think I could manage.
    Ah! You agree with me at last......:rolleyes:

You'll be able to pay for more tinfoil to put around your house by text.....So there's another use.....;)