Why were the Lego Vita games basically ports of the DS games?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been looking on youtube and while im impressed by some of the games that look great from their xbox/ps3 counterparts when it came to the Lego games I couldnt find the similar enthusiasm.

I checked out gameplay of Batman 2, LOTR, Harry Potter and they all look and like they play exactly the same as the DS versions.

Is there a reason for this I mean the vita has great power just seems odd why the games represent a outdated DS Handheld.

Comments

• VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are DS/3DS ports. Because it's cheap and easy and Vita userbase is small. Therefore not enough people to really kick up a fuss about it.

If it were larger they'd probably downport the console versions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been looking on youtube and while im impressed by some of the games that look great from their xbox/ps3 counterparts when it came to the Lego games I couldnt find the similar enthusiasm.

I checked out gameplay of Batman 2, LOTR, Harry Potter and they all look and like they play exactly the same as the DS versions.

Is there a reason for this I mean the vita has great power just seems odd why the games represent a outdated DS Handheld.

Its all down to dev costs, both DS and Vita are functionally similar in terms of touch screen tech so its makes much more sense (to them any way) to release a port of the game to both systems rather than make two different games that use that specific systems abilitys to the full.

Its always been this way for game developers going all the way back and further to NES / Master System / SNES / Megadrive where the majority of games were exactly the same on both systems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the new Lego marvel game will be the same.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    The 3DS and Vita get ports of the DS version as its cheap.

simple as that..
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lego Batman 2 looks nicer on the vita but the cut scenes are taken from the 3DS version and look awful!

Its a shame really as the Vita is capable of much more. I hope Arkham Origins Blackgate isn't a port and some effort has been put into it! I've cancelled my order pending the reviews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    They are DS/3DS ports. Because it's cheap and easy and Vita userbase is small. Therefore not enough people to really kick up a fuss about it.

If it were larger they'd probably downport the console versions.

Yet they still justify charging a 30 quid price tag? It be nice if the gameplay was on par with the consoles like other games have been.

Played the DS version and just didnt like the way it played. Be nice if it had touch screen capabilities.