Options

Basic Phone Security

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
Forum Member
I've never bothered with pin codes etc on my phone as they always seems like added hassle. Seems I'm not the only one either - https://www.tigermobiles.com/2014/07/smartphone-users-failing-implement-basic-security-settings/

However I've read a lot about security flaws in technology the last few weeks - USB drives are flawed, Android has security issues. So I've setup pattern lock code. Not worried me as such but I think I should probably be a bit more vigilant.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Any apps I should install to increase my security?

I have a Nexus 5.

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    WebGeek wrote: »
    I've never bothered with pin codes etc on my phone as they always seems like added hassle. Seems I'm not the only one either - https://www.tigermobiles.com/2014/07/smartphone-users-failing-implement-basic-security-settings/

This very point was made by Apple at the launch of the 5S fingerprint reader (more than 50% of people not using an unlock code) but it was widely poo poohed in this forum as not believable as it was Apple marketspeak.
    On a sample of one, I moved from no passcode to having one on the basis of the ease of use of the fingerprint scanner.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should at the vet least have a pin security code.

Unless you have payg or a capped contract it's daft not to have both a pin lock on your phone and a security code on the pin.

There's so many horror stories of phone being stoled. No security and the owner getting a bill in the thousands. Which the phone company pin on them for not reporting quick enough or the calls happening before they report it.

If you don't have a sim lock the thief/finder just puts your sim in another phone and off they go. If you have both a sim lock and a pass code, yes you lose your phone but you won't end up with a massive bill.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pattern lock provides a decent balance between convenience and security - it is faster than entering a PIN, but probably easier to remember if someone witnesses you doing it. I would definitely refute the claim of over half not having a PIN; even my least techy friends have one on their phone. I see very few people without one.

To reduce the hassle of a pattern lock even further, I have a couple of apps that disable the lock when I'm in a "safe" environment (eg. at home, in my car) but reenable it elsewhere. I understand Android L (which your Nexus 5 will get) will have this functionality built directly in to the OS.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the finger smudges I find the pattern lock pretty much useless, but I still use one myself as a very basic lock.

A PIN on the SIM is essential in my opinion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. Especially on Android L, sounds very useful.

None of non techy friends bother with a pin. Just straight unlock. I think unless you are big on privacy or know the danger then you won't bother.

I'm pretty careful with my phone but crimes is on the up.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WebGeek wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Especially on Android L, sounds very useful.

None of non techy friends bother with a pin. Just straight unlock. I think unless you are big on privacy or know the danger then you won't bother.

I'm pretty careful with my phone but crimes is on the up.

I think it's basic common sense. If you lose your phone and there's no security lock on it whoever steals/finds it can use it. And you foot the bill.

A quick google throws up plenty if horror stories of people running up 2,3,4 thousand pound bills in less than 24 hours on stolen phones.

And should it go missing whilst you're out drinking or whilst you're drunk it could be that long before you even notice if you don't use your phone all the time.
  • Options
    heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't bother with anything as they slow the phone down and only really put off drunks/idiots.

Anything is pretty much easily hackable so why bother?

As an aside I only use anti-malware on my laptop, even although I do online banking, Ebay, Paypal, bookies etc. 'Most' of my passwords are the same too :)

If a retard like me can get around most 'locks', the experts will do it in seconds.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    heidtheba wrote: »
    I don't bother with anything as they slow the phone down and only really put off drunks/idiots.

Anything is pretty much easily hackable so why bother?

As an aside I only use anti-malware on my laptop, even although I do online banking, Ebay, Paypal, bookies etc. 'Most' of my passwords are the same too :)

If a retard like me can get around most 'locks', the experts will do it in seconds.

How is a fingerprint ID easily hackable?
  • Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I have a set up where if I am connected to WiFi at home or work I have no lockscreen but if I am not connected to either WiFi network I have a PIN code lockscreen.

On a Nexus 5 using an app called 'secure settings' and an app called 'tasker'
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like using one but I do now, and seeing as I've got an iphone 5S I use the finger print scanner, I find it's very good, very very rare that it asks me to "try again".
  • Options
    heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is a fingerprint ID easily hackable?

lol.........

as the kids say.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    heidtheba wrote: »
    lol.........

as the kids say.

Are you one of them? Enlighten us professor Brian Cox.
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A PIN code is more then someone just using your phone and running up the bill, think of all the private things you have on your phone, all the personal details one could get from Facebook and use it to try and hack your accounts. Just think about all the hassle you would have to go through if someone started using your details to commit fraud. No PIN or password on a mobile device is just asking for trouble.