Is Nick Robinson becoming the new Andrew Gillighan?

Comments

• AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    I think the better comparison with Ireland and RTE is the quality of their home grown content, which is generally cheap and shoddy - miles away from what UK viewers are used to. An independent Scotland's own broadcaster wouldn't have the budget to do any better.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Dublin right now watching BBC 2 and if I wish could turn it over to BBC 1, 3 or 4.

Good for you. Via which one of these services?
    The only way to get all the BBC channels is to either purchase Sky or one of the cable services (such as UPC) or to purchase a Freesat box (and a larger size dish) which is not strictly legal.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why nick robinson was right and Salmond failed to answer the question

If RBS moved to the UK the tax they would pay to the UK government would be on all the profits the banks makes. Scotland would only get the profit made in Scotland. So Scotland would lose out. This is why Alex talked over the top of Nick to stop him making this point. Alex deflected the question well but it does not change the facts.

If your company or organisation is based in the UK, you'll have to pay Corporation Tax on all your taxable profits - wherever in the world those profits come from.

Tax law.
    If your company isn't based in the UK but operates in the UK - for example through an office or branch (known to HMRC as a 'permanent establishment') - you'll only have to pay Corporation Tax on any taxable profits arising from your UK activities.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it any wonder people are turned off by politics when they have to put up with this kind of divisive dishonest journalism.
  • kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen Nick Robinson and the Great Soprendo in the same room? :D

Piff Paff Poof and Salmonds answer disappears just like magic :D:D
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the BBC didn't cover a big NHS demonstration yesterday because it might have an influence on the referendum and are not (when I last looked) covering a demonstration outside their Glasgow building with over 3000 people. Have they stopped covering news the government doesn't like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the BBC didn't cover a big NHS demonstration yesterday because it might have an influence on the referendum and are not (when I last looked) covering a demonstration outside their Glasgow building with over 3000 people. Have they stopped covering news the government doesn't like?

I'm struggling to find anyone covering this "big" NHS demonstration. Perhaps you can do better than me.

As for the demo outside their building, they covered it.

Scottish independence: Crowd protests against 'BBC bias'.

If that's over 3,000 people, my local football team is doing way better than they're letting on.

ETA.

There's more. Another picture.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find anyone covering this "big" NHS demonstration. Perhaps you can do better than me.

As for the demo outside their building, they covered it.

Scottish independence: Crowd protests against 'BBC bias'.

If that's over 3,000 people, my local football team is doing way better than they're letting on.

Only put up in the last few minutes, but wasn't on their news broadcasts earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only put up in the last few minutes, but wasn't on their news broadcasts earlier.

Put up over an hour ago.
    content="2014/09/14 15:42:49
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought here .....

On the day when a British hostage was beheaded, and when Cameron had an important speech to make regarding that and ISIS, there were probably much more important matters to report upon in the news broadcasts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Just a thought here .....

On the day when a British hostage was beheaded, and when Cameron had an important speech to make regarding that and ISIS, there were probably much more important matters to report upon in the news broadcasts.

What? Than 3,000 people with a bias level so far off the charts it couldn't be measured complaining about BBC bias? Surely not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they'll say anything about the British foreign office caught asking the Spanish press to undermine Scottish Independence...probably not!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll say anything about the British foreign office caught asking the Spanish press to undermine Scottish Independence...probably not!

If they haven't already, I very much doubt it. It happened back in February.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    If they haven't already, I very much doubt it. It happened back in February.

It did actually happen then ? Funny how it never cropped up until today.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember any one complaining when Andrew Marr , who was the ex editor of The Independent was the chief political correspondent for the BBC !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    It did actually happen then ? Funny how it never cropped up until today.

It did crop up at the time. The SNP did their very best to try and encourage everyone to report it. As with Darling's alleged (translation: non-existent) quote about Oil revenue, they were the ones trying desperately to spin the story - just as they are today. By and large the media (not just the BBC) didn't fall for it.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling that we're kind of missing a point here.

According to Robinson's colleague Robert Peston, this email leak from the Treasury Department announcing the RBS position was sent whilst the board of the RBS were meeting to decide when to make the announcement.

Peston has also "tweeted" that Robinson was the recipient of the email.

As far as I'm concerned Robinson is just doing his job. However, someone in the Treasury Department has clearly been "at it"
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

easily 3,000 there
    https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10389020_10152742141134669_6429376066438747937_n.jpg?oh=8b651758c8107f1602fb43090c7398af&oe=549F3937

fantastic spontaneous direct action.

best thing about the day was the number of people waving, cheering and clapping us as we walked through the city.

wasnt confident of a YES, but the support the marchers got today was off the scale.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned Robinson is just doing his job. However, someone in the Treasury Department has clearly been "at it"

If Salmond indeed gave a three-minue answer, and Robinson claimed he didn't, then he's lying.

Is there any video of Salmond's answer, as opposed to Roninson's edited version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    If Salmond indeed gave a three-minue answer, and Robinson claimed he didn't, then he's lying.

Is there any video of Salmond's answer, as opposed to Roninson's edited version?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHmLb-RIbrM
  • HammyHammy Posts: 4,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    easily 3,000 there
    https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10389020_10152742141134669_6429376066438747937_n.jpg?oh=8b651758c8107f1602fb43090c7398af&oe=549F3937

fantastic spontaneous direct action.

best thing about the day was the number of people waving, cheering and clapping us as we walked through the city.

wasnt confident of a YES, but the support the marchers got today was off the scale.

Was watching Independence live stream of the march to PQ, look great. well done.

See the 38 degrees petition for an independent inquiry into the BBC bias is over 70,000 now.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Technically, Salmond didn't answer the question. However, it was the second question that NR asked, and Salmond had given a long answer to the first question. If Robinson had wanted to guarantee that answer, he should have asked the question first.

Robinson is being distinctly disingenuous in saying Salmond "didn't answer". He's creating an impression that is somewhat far from the truth. Add to that that Salmond's answer to the first question completely dismantled Robinson. I guess Robinson was sore & vindictive.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that he has basically been at a press conference where he asked Alex Salmond a question to which he was given a 3 minute reply. He then went and made a report where he edited out the reply and accused Salmond of not giving a reply.

Typical Tory erasing facts.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Gilligan was substantially right. Blair, Campbell et al sexed up the intelligence.

Of course they bloomin well did, but Gilligan said quite explicitly that the UN weapons inspector said so. The UN weapons inspector certainly did not say that, Gilligan lied about it, and refused to admit it, and so did the BBC who knew it was a lie, and it was only when the Inquiry started that it was admitted. If the BBC had told the simple truth months earlier the thing would have blown over in a day and Kelly would still be alive.

It had a very nasty effect on the BBC and it's reputation which had been gradually going downhill but as a result of that plummeted into the depths. The BBC lies just as much as most other British media, which is the worst media in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "up to 1,000 people"

why do they persist in lying, when the truth is so accessible?

what else do they lie about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztvy1-RK-aM