What is your earliest memory of football?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
for me going to watch Bolton vs Ipswich in the play offs in 2000 - the season before we went up.

Comments

• Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I remember glimpses of the 1990 England v Germany game, my first proper football memory is watching the 1994 World Cup final with my dad and my uncle. My dad was supporting Brazil and I vividly remember the penalty shootout and my dad's comments. He made fun of Baresi being picked as first penalty taker before he missed and I remember that Baggio moment as if it was yesterday. I secretly wanted Italy to win, but I didn't tell my dad or he would have gone berserk and sent me to my room (with no TV) :blush:
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was answering the first thread of these you made.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    England v west Germany 1970, vaugely but was more interested in captain kirk then :D
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kicking a ball around the house and garden.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was an embryo in July 1966 and distinctly recall a commotion on the 30th relating to football.

Aside from the occasional glimpse of the Big Match on a Sunday (when I didn't understand or follow football) the first major event was the 1977 European Cup Final (which got me hooked) followed by the spectacle of the 1978 World Cup.

Was never taken to a game as a kid - which is just as well given the quality of football on offer nearby. My first visit to Anfield (200 miles away) was when I was in my twenties as money and transport were an issue for me at that time.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seeing ruud gullit on telly in euro 88 i think. but thats a very distant flash of a memory

liverpool 4-4 everton 4 in 1990( i think) might be first proper memory.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Bit odd because although I can't ever remember a time when I wasn't kicking a ball around I have virtually no memory of professional football until I suddenly developed an interest and started going to games in early 1981. Mostly it was my Dad walking into the house on Saturdays throughout the late 70s announcing "Wednesday's won" (he must have kept quiet on the many occasions that we didn't!).

There wasn't much football on TV in those days obviously, so apart from The Big Match on a Sunday lunchtime the first big occasion I can remember was the 1981 FA Cup Final between Spurs and Man City - can clearly remember Tommy Hutchinson scoring at both ends, and then the replay which of course included Ricky Villa's famous goal. Shortly after that I remember watching Liverpool beat Real Madrid in the European Cup Final and I've seen every big occasion since then.
  • Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    For myself it was Match of the Day from the 3rd round of the FA cup in 1989 that my Grandad recorded for me as Bradford City beating Spurs at Valley parade was included as one of the main games, although from what I recall my grandad didn't take me to the game despite the fact he took me to a number of league games that season. The same programme also included the famous Sutton United win over Coventry.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    The earliest I can remember is the Euro 96 semi final. I hadn't really developed an interest in football at that time but I remember that game. I just recall Southgate missing his penalty and Germany scoring theirs as "same old England" reverberated around the room. I didn't even know what that meant at the time. I do now. :(
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,770
    Forum Member
    I remember going to Vicarage Road on 1st January 1992 - even though the game ended 0-0!

On the telly I can remember watching the 1992 League Cup final (Man U 1 Forest 0)
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Sunday afternoon game on ITV back in the late 80's. I think it was Arsenal v Liverpool, but I can't remember.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1975 FA Cup Final - Fulham v West Ham
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Ferdinand .... QPR vs ManUTD ... he got me watching Newcastle every week when he signed! :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the local football clubs pub bit from 7 days old as it was ran by family so for me growing up always involved football especially as my school was right next to the ground so at times it was also my place to wait should my parents have to do something unusual which may of meant i couldn't of gone home at the usual time (i lived a street away from the ground) but its fun to have memories of going in there and ordering drinks as a 7 year old at the bar, pint of lager, whisky and a coke and getting technically served even if it did require my dad to actually pay for it when they got there as i normally ran off ahead but everyone knew who i was and it wasn't for me but technically i broke the law probably 3-4 times a week for years
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having a cigarette card of someone called Roy Paul who was the captain of Manchester City. He had a maroon strip on with blue stripes......

Listening to Spurs playing in Europe on the radiogram

Watching Bury Reserves......for some reason at junior school you got Bury Reserves tickets if you played for the school team
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    '73 cup final. Vaguely recall watching it on tv and not really understanding why there was so much fuss and celebration after we won.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn Hoddle scoring the penalty in the Spurs QPR final I can remember, as with many of the WC goals that followed that summer.

I did watch the 80 & 81 Cup Finals too apparently.

Not sure when Tony Woodcock scored 5 or 6 goals against Villa but I remember being sat in bed listening to that.