Options

Doctor Who: The Caretaker - 28/09/14 (BBC One/HD - 8.30pm) Episode Discussion

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Love Capaldi's Dr. Reminds me of TB and JP even WH. Great acting and I hope he stays in the role for many years. That episode wouldn't have been half as good with one of the previous recent Dr's playing the part - not that they were bad in any way, just that PC is IMO better.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    A bit all over the place this one but overall came over like a dull episode of Doctor Who with a laughably bad robot shoe-horned in (just a step above the bad robot cleaners from Paradise Towers!). Some very slow angst that wouldn't look out of place on a CBBC show before briefly blowing something up again.......................... Oh! This wasn't an episode of Eastenders? It was Dr Who? More like Dr Kildare.

The relationships are unbelievable as we haven't actually seen any of it develop. Clara loves Danny. Good for her but god knows where that came from as he is as dull as she is. The dialogue is all sassy (Moffatts favourite description for his female characters) but just doesn't actually work as dialogue that fits comfortably together. The reactions of Danny to finding out that Sassy Clara actually travels through time and space is one of wide eyed disbelief for 10 seconds followed by "Oh! Ok". Once again, travelling with the Dr is watered down into something not that special as Clara waltzes in and out as if it was fitted with a revolving door and Danny seemingly having little or no interest in the TARDIS. Then "annoying-sprog-of-the-week" gets a go as well. "Form an orderly queue please. £20 a trip to see the Horse Head Nebula. No photography please."

Now the Dr is suddenly a moron from Outer Space, cleverly disguising himself by putting on a different coat then being surprised that Clara recognises him. Laugh? I nearly started. Yes, good to see someone (Danny) standing up to the Dr and giving him some aggro though but PC's continued calling him a PE teacher was just jarring and stupid. Then we had an ending where Danny could've actually proved he was maths teacher. The Dr hadn't cracked the shut-down code! Oh my god! The peril being generated by a robot with the targetting skills of the US Army! I know! The maths teacher will save the day at the last minute using his skill with a slide rule and some quadratic eqautions!......................No................. He vaults over the beastie like Mark Addy over a bull (Atlantis reference for those fortunate enough not to have watched that dire series) like a highly toned....... ummmmm..... PE teacher. Wouldn't it have been more realistic for the Dr to start accepting Danny if he had actually proved himself as being a bit more intelligent than just another physical ex-soldier?

And don't get me started on Chris Addison.

Oh wasn't that awful! I'd forgotten how terrible it was until you just mentioned it :D

The new series should be on soon ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this episode. My second favourite of the season.

Still loving Peter Capaldi as the doctor, and I liked Clara and Danny in this episode too. I detested the eleventh doctor (so much so, I couldn't stand the sight of him), but watching twelve think Clara was in love with the guy who looked like his terrible predecessor was funny. The only thing I wasn't sure about was bits of the plot, which was a bit weak, but the characters made the episode enjoyable, so that didn't really matter.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've finally accepted Capaldi! (because he is the same age as me too!!).
    I am a true Pat Troughton fan - and a Tennant fanatic! Capaldi is being a whole new Doctor - funny, nasty, and weird at times! But then again, The Doctor has always been a bit of a bastard at times hasn't he? William Hartnell wanted to smack in a guy with a rock in the first story!! :o:o
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old man takes child for a "journey". What were they thinking of.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Old man takes child for a "journey". What were they thinking of.

Or rather what are you thinking of?

They are not to blame for your lewd imagination.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Or rather what are you thinking of?

They are not to blame for your lewd imagination.

I do agree its something the BBC should really have avoided considering the recent convictions of certain celebs that have worked for the BBC in the past! If they had taken anther adult in the TARDIS it might have looked better, I guess the writers would have had a headache thinking who though!

Oh and BTW I have done some voluntary work with kids, so I have a bit of an idea of how things work, I was always told you shouldnt be alone with a child where you couldnt be seen by others! So its not about dirty minds its more about safe practice!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I do agree its something the BBC should really have avoided considering the recent convictions of certain celebs that have worked for the BBC in the past! If they had taken anther adult in the TARDIS it might have looked better, I guess the writers would have had a headache thinking who though!

Oh and BTW I have done some voluntary work with kids, so I have a bit of an idea of how things work, I was always told you shouldnt be alone with a child where you couldnt be seen by others! So its not about dirty minds its more about safe practice!

Good for you, but we are still in a Doctor Who forum discussing Doctor Who where we know the Doctor is not a pedo so time to get over it.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Good for you, but we are still in a Doctor Who forum discussing Doctor Who where we know the Doctor is not a pedo so time to get over it.

Yes it is a Doctor who forum and yes we know the Doctor isn't a pedo I'm just agreeing the BBC should be careful how they do things!

Despite this though it was still a very good episode and it certainly didn't detract from it!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »

Did you watch the scenes with Eleven and Amelia? He was alone with her quite often. It's a bit late to start worrying about the Doctor being alone with kids. And what about Ten and little Reinette?

I really hope the BBC never feel they have to avoid these scenes. The Doctor should interact with children on screen - it's part of the magic.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you watch the scenes with Eleven and Amelia? He was alone with her quite often. It's a bit late to start worrying about the Doctor being alone with kids. And what about Ten and little Reinette?

I really hope the BBC never feel they have to avoid these scenes. The Doctor should interact with children on screen - it's part of the magic.

Agreed. It would be mental to now try and horn in some mumsnet brigade political correctness. Maybe the should put a disclaimer at the beginning of each programme; "kids! always get parents permission before heading off into space with a time travelling alien. Also, eat plenty of greens and don't wander off."
    Oh wait, he already says that last part.
  • Options
    JackieDVDJackieDVD Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soopytwist wrote: »
    Half seven is the ideal time for Doctor Who. I've got better things to do later, yes I could record it but I can't really be bothered to set it so I think I'm done with Doctor Who. None of the stories so far this series have been particularity great and the new theme tune is awful. Nothing against Peter, he's an excellent Doctor, but I'm through.

The BBC clearly don't care about it so neither do I anymore.

You can't be bothered to push a button to set the recorder, but you can be bothered to post on here telling us you can't be bothered. Excellent.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm intrigued to see where it will all go now that Mr Pink is in the know (plus there's a bit of will there/won't there about whether he & Clara will end up in the pink...).
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Pssst. Little girl. You want to come with me and see a time machine? There it is. It's currently disguised as a white van..."
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i thought it was good, doctor who was very hostile towards danny, i know he said he doesn't like the military but i think it is just the fact that he is no longer the centre of attention and that annoys him
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Only just got to watch this episode, and I'm afraid I found it very average, which is what I voted.
    I'm personally finding it very annoying what they seem to have done with Clara, she almost seems like an unexplained character "reboot", with little attention paid to all that went before with her.
    She seems to be doing the most stupid and illogical things, lying to people all the time when she has no reason to, and making ridiculous mistakes like calling Danny by his original name, which is a trap surely no seasoned time traveller would fall into, and pouring out puerile nonsense like pretending that the attack by the alien was all a "play rehearsal" which is something only a child would do!
    I also don't like the way that they seem to have erased all human knowledge of the Doctor and the existence of aliens generally, which was made common knowledge in Tennant's time. I know about the universe being rebooted and all that, which is being used as the justification for this, but people suddenly not knowing who the Doctor is and being surprised at "spacemen" is just a bit grating to me after all that went before.
    :)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Only just got to watch this episode, and I'm afraid I found it very average, which is what I voted.
    I'm personally finding it very annoying what they seem to have done with Clara, she almost seems like an unexplained character "reboot", with little attention paid to all that went before with her.
    On the contrary, they've finally managed to take the aspects to Clara that they created but never followed through on.
    I know about the universe being rebooted and all that, which is being used as the justification for this, but people suddenly not knowing who the Doctor is and being surprised at "spacemen" is just a bit grating to me after all that went before.
    But required, otherwise no story set on Earth would make sense. Every weird thing that happens? Oh, it's the aliens again. The entire world would be on alien invasion alert, paranoid and warlike. It would cease to resemble an Earth that we recognise. And that's not good.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    On the contrary, they've finally managed to take the aspects to Clara that they created but never followed through on.
    That may well be so, and I'm sure will develop further, but IMO she is often not now reacting the way she would have done before to some situations. She's doing and saying ridiculous things that only someone very naive and/or immature would do and say, which is not what she would have done or said when the character was first introduced IMO. It's almost to me like she's now a different character but with the same name and played by the same actress!
    But required, otherwise no story set on Earth would make sense. Every weird thing that happens? Oh, it's the aliens again. The entire world would be on alien invasion alert, paranoid and warlike. It would cease to resemble an Earth that we recognise. And that's not good.
    I do understand why they did it, the mistake was allowing the general public to have knowledge of the Doctor and alien threats in the first place!
    Now they've belatedly tried to put the genie back in the bottle, IMO rather unconvincingly.
  • Options
    soopytwistsoopytwist Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    You'll be back. "Fans" like you always come back if only to complain. It's happened before and it'll keep happening forever.

Nope. Still haven't watched it. My last episode was the one before The Caretaker whatever that was (so memorable I can't remember). So yeah, I've stopped watching Doctor Who. And I'm not watching it tonight either or on another night.

I don't watch Doctor Who anymore.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Still haven't watched it. My last episode was the one before The Caretaker whatever that was (so memorable I can't remember). So yeah, I've stopped watching Doctor Who. And I'm not watching it tonight either or on another night.

I don't watch Doctor Who anymore.

Well, thanks for that.
    There's loads of things I'm not doing tonight but I wouldn't be so presumptuous and egotistical to assume that anyone gives a hoot what I'm not doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Well, thanks for that.
    There's loads of things I'm not doing tonight but I wouldn't be so presumptuous and egotistical to assume that anyone gives a hoot what I'm not doing.

I don't watch Strictly Come Dancing, so I think I'll just pop over to their thread and tell them that. I'm sure it will just ruin their lives. Or, more likely, they won't be a bit interested.:D
  • Options
    soopytwistsoopytwist Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I don't watch Strictly Come Dancing, so I think I'll just pop over to their thread and tell them that. I'm sure it will just ruin their lives. Or, more likely, they won't be a bit interested.:D
    Just airing my opinion - that is what a forum is for. And I'll add to that that tonight is the last episode of the series, I haven't seen any of the rest from Caretaker onwards so I won't be watching that tonight.

I don't really fall into Doctor Who's demographic anyway at 38. I started watching Who just as Tom Baker finished and Davison took over and I've seen all surviving earlier incarnations of the Doctor when they were all repeated on BBC Choice as it was called back then (now BBC Three). The program doesn't excite me anymore, which is a shame. Perhaps when Moffat hands the reins over to someone else (back to RTD would be a start) then maybe I'll return to it.

Again, airing an opinion. I wouldn't comment on the Strictly forum, Granny McSmith, if I've never seen an episode of it. Neither would I comment on the forum for any other program I've never seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just airing my opinion - that is what a forum is for. And I'll add to that that tonight is the last episode of the series, I haven't seen any of the rest from Caretaker onwards so I won't be watching that tonight.

I don't really fall into Doctor Who's demographic anyway at 38. I started watching Who just as Tom Baker finished and Davison took over and I've seen all surviving earlier incarnations of the Doctor when they were all repeated on BBC Choice as it was called back then (now BBC Three). The program doesn't excite me anymore, which is a shame. Perhaps when Moffat hands the reins over to someone else (back to RTD would be a start) then maybe I'll return to it.

Again, airing an opinion. I wouldn't comment on the Strictly forum, Granny McSmith, if I've never seen an episode of it. Neither would I comment on the forum for any other program I've never seen.

Is there a Doctor Who demographic? I'm well outside it, if so. But I'm not alone - there are others on here who were around when the first episode was aired.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I apologise for my would-be amusing remarks. I intended no offence.

I actually largely agree with you regarding showrunners and their abilities, though I do think Moffat has given us some wonderful episodes. Last week's penultimate episode was very good indeed, and I hope tonight's will be as good. Still, if you're not watching, you're not!

Best regards anyway. :)