Options

Playing VOB files from laptop to TV

Recently uipgraded TV so I could use laptop to watch BBC iPlayer which works a treat. I have VOB video files I'd like to watch. I open them in media player classic (or have tried two other players) and move them over to the second monitor - the TV - but the screen is black. How can I get them to display? I get the sound OK.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Guessing you need a codec to see it.

Try either videolan (free and very good)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Or GOM player

http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html
  • Options
    woldsweatherwoldsweather Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Got the same with VLC but will try the other though I expect the same.
  • Options
    FatwazFatwaz Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you may have to change the vob files.myself i stream to the ps3 to watch on large screen tv.cant wait till iplayer hd is available via ps3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With GOM it played on the laptop but not on the TV then I got small video window on the TV but it wouldn't move with the main window and when I maximised it vanished. When you say 'change' the VOB files what exactly do you mean?
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may not be the file format thats the problem. It could be to do with extending your desktop on to a second monitor.

Some programs only work properly on the main screen. I have a couple that are affected this way. Try reinstalling the software when the laptop is set up and driving both screens. :)
  • Options
    FatwazFatwaz Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With GOM it played on the laptop but not on the TV then I got small video window on the TV but it wouldn't move with the main window and when I maximised it vanished. When you say 'change' the VOB files what exactly do you mean?

you can convert vob files to avi,divx etc just need a program to do it.i dont use any so i couldnt recommend one but im sure google will help.

i take it you can get other movies to play on your tv this way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently uipgraded TV so I could use laptop to watch BBC iPlayer which works a treat. I have VOB video files I'd like to watch. I open them in media player classic (or have tried two other players) and move them over to the second monitor - the TV - but the screen is black. How can I get them to display? I get the sound OK.

Im asuming you are getting the video files to play on your lappy ok, if not, and as already suggested you need to install a dvd playing piece of software or codec. try VLC or mediaplayer classic
    I am also asuming you are getting somekind of display on your tv, if this is the case than it looks to me you need to change the video overlay option to allow video tobe output to another screen.

goto your display(gfx-card settings) and change the video overlay settings
    you can find this by going into control panel/display/settings/advanced/overlay

hope this helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The video files play fine on my laptop with VLC GOM or MPC when I drag them over to the TV the screens black except GOM which keeps the video playing now I have re-installed it as per earlier suggestion. However when I maximise it goes black and when I shrink it and drag it back to the laptop it's stopped playing. I can't find anything thast mentions video overlay, the only video controls I can find are control panel>display settings should there be others? It's a fairly old laptop - proably 6 years old.

Youtube and BBC iPlayer play fine on the TYV have yet to try AVI files on the TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have tried .avi and .wmv and both are playing fine on the TV, so jyst the VOB files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The video files play fine on my laptop with VLC GOM or MPC when I drag them over to the TV the screens black except GOM which keeps the video playing now I have re-installed it as per earlier suggestion. However when I maximise it goes black and when I shrink it and drag it back to the laptop it's stopped playing. I can't find anything thast mentions video overlay, the only video controls I can find are control panel>display settings should there be others? It's a fairly old laptop - proably 6 years old.

Youtube and BBC iPlayer play fine on the TYV have yet to try AVI files on the TV.

sounds to me that your lappy is a bit past it's sell by date,
    did you go into the advanced settings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I looked in all the settings I could find but what am I loooking for?It's a Compaq Presario 2521
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fatwaz wrote: »
    you can convert vob files to avi,divx etc just need a program to do it.i dont use any so i couldnt recommend one but im sure google will help.

i take it you can get other movies to play on your tv this way?

I could do it this way but theres 60Gb of files so I'd rather just find a way of playing them if I could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have now sorted this. I start the video playing on the TV rather than on the laptop and it's fine - voila!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have now sorted this. I start the video playing on the TV rather than on the laptop and it's fine - voila!

well done mate, enjoy:D
  • Options
    tichtichtichtich Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else you might like to consider, if you have Vista (I don't know whether you can do it with XP). Instead of extending your desktop, you can tell Vista to mirror your PC display on the TV. I find this makes life simpler.

You can even tell Vista to use the TV as the only display (leaving the PC screen blank). This is what I do, as I don't want my PC screen on while I'm watching a video on my TV. My PC remembers this setting and automatically switches to using the TV as its display as soon as the TV is connected by HDMI (I don't keep it connected all the time).

Of course, this is no use if you want to use your PC for other things at the same time as you're playing a video.

P.S. Most laptops these days seem to have a function button for easily switching between different multi-display settings (e.g. extended display, mirror and TV-only). On my Dell, it's F8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have Vista on my main PC upstairs but this old laptop (around 6 yrs old) runs XP. The other hassle with it is the battery only lasts around 20 mins at best and we have burnt out so many batteries it's unbelievable, so whilst watching a video I have to remember to to plug and unplug the mains power every 10 mins!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Vista on my main PC upstairs but this old laptop (around 6 yrs old) runs XP. The other hassle with it is the battery only lasts around 20 mins at best and we have burnt out so many batteries it's unbelievable, so whilst watching a video I have to remember to to plug and unplug the mains power every 10 mins!

can't you remove the battery and run on mains only?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't that still burn out the charger? It gets red hopt after 15 mins.