Options

Bluray Triple Play

N-I-C-KN-I-C-K Posts: 3,268
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think movies release as a triple play is a fantastic idea. But how come only a few releases are released this way.

In my opinion all releases should contain the bluray disc, dvd disc and digital copy all in one. That way you could watch it on your computer, in the living room on your main tv and on your dvd player in the bedroom.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it's a good idea. Since the price difference is a few pounds between dvd and blu-ray triple packs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...but then I do 'rip' my blu-rays and DVDs!
  • Options
    KDHKDH Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coming soon to the UK ........ultraviolet

http://www.uvvu.com/
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KDH wrote: »

Have you tried signing up? OK if you are in united states no good in UK :D
  • Options
    LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    On some forums ultraviolet doesn't seem to be winnng people over, it seems to have more restrictions than the present system and they don't guarantee you can play your content after three years.

I just rip my DVD and BLU-RAY for unrestricted digital copies.
  • Options
    KDHKDH Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may work better?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a353835/tesco-to-boost-dvd-sales-with-blinkbox-on-demand-link.html

More here

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-tesco-blinkbox-marry-dvd-movies-with-online-access/

"This is a fascinating link-up between atoms (DVD) and bits (streaming). The added value of the dual option could drive more plastic-disc sales at the checkouts. And it works the other way around, too - for every pound spend on streaming movies with Blinkbox, customers can earn one Clubcard point to redeem against Tesco goods.

Under the guise of Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, some 75 studios, home electronics companies and VOD providers have already been trying to roll out an industry-wide system to allow consumers to access entertainment content bought once on multiple devices, called Ultraviolet.

Ultraviolet is due to launch in the UK in the new year.

So far, Blinkbox has been cautioning paidContent against expecting the company to be fully rebranded under the Tesco name.

Blinkbox enjoys a decent rights roster with its PPV-access service compared with Lovefilm’s subscription online service, because the UK subscription pay-TV movie window is mostly locked up by Sky Movies’ exclusive deals with Hollywood studios. "
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't see the point to be honest. If you stream onto a mobile device using a G3 connection it will cost you a small fortune, so the only way to use it would be to stream to a device at home, may as well use the disk., better quality and don't clog up the net
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may work better?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a353835/tesco-to-boost-dvd-sales-with-blinkbox-on-demand-link.html

More here

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-tesco-blinkbox-marry-dvd-movies-with-online-access/

"This is a fascinating link-up between atoms (DVD) and bits (streaming). The added value of the dual option could drive more plastic-disc sales at the checkouts. And it works the other way around, too - for every pound spend on streaming movies with Blinkbox, customers can earn one Clubcard point to redeem against Tesco goods.

Under the guise of Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, some 75 studios, home electronics companies and VOD providers have already been trying to roll out an industry-wide system to allow consumers to access entertainment content bought once on multiple devices, called Ultraviolet.

Ultraviolet is due to launch in the UK in the new year.

So far, Blinkbox has been cautioning paidContent against expecting the company to be fully rebranded under the Tesco name.

Blinkbox enjoys a decent rights roster with its PPV-access service compared with Lovefilm’s subscription online service, because the UK subscription pay-TV movie window is mostly locked up by Sky Movies’ exclusive deals with Hollywood studios. "

Blinkbox, which now has access to Clubcard account details, nice of Tescos to give peoples info away without their permission.
    sure Tesco may own Blinkbox, but it still a separate thing at the moment.

I am so glad I don't have Loyalty cards and that have just proved to me why I avoid them
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Tesco own Blinkbox? All part of the same family now then?

I like my Tesco club card, have several hundred pounds on it to use up :) Cover my xmas/New Year Veuve Clicquot bill somewhat:cool: They can share any information gathered with who ever they like as it will not make one tiny minuscule bit of difference to my life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    So Tesco own Blinkbox? All part of the same family now then?

They own the majority of it yes.
    I like my Tesco club card, have several hundred pounds on it to use up :) Cover my xmas/New Year Veuve Clicquot bill somewhat:cool: They can share any information gathered with who ever they like as it will not make one tiny minuscule bit of difference to my life.

I am surprised to hear you even shop in Tescos, I thought it would be a be posh enough for you.

You can give what ever info you want to anyone you like, myself I prefer not too, just a shame that supermarkets including the one i work for realise that not all of us have or want a clubcard or Nectar card and stop flipping asking if I got one
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    There is massive debate about this in the movies forum. With one certain member claiming them be doom of blu ray. However studios disagree, there are the driving force of blu ray sales according to fox and warners.

Now at moment it seems the small studios are sticking with single releases. Big studios are producing them I can't think of any big company who has not yet ?. You will find most release will be released in this way in the future UN-till DVD is faded out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    There is massive debate about this in the movies forum. With one certain member claiming them be doom of blu ray. However studios disagree, there are the driving force of blu ray sales according to fox and warners.

Now at moment it seems the small studios are sticking with single releases. Big studios are producing them I can't think of any big company who has not yet ?. You will find most release will be released in this way in the future UN-till DVD is faded out.

Blue-ray have hardly started, so many people still use DVd, so the death of Blue-ray is a long way off.

no point in killing off a format if very few people can use the format that is replacing it, most peoples broadband can not cope with Hd content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    They own the majority of it yes.

I am surprised to hear you even shop in Tescos, I thought it would be a be posh enough for you.

You can give what ever info you want to anyone you like, myself I prefer not too, just a shame that supermarkets including the one i work for realise that not all of us have or want a clubcard or Nectar card and stop flipping asking if I got one

I'd not say I was posh? Financially comfortable but posh is not a term I use.

I have the choice of Asda or Tesco as major (big stores) supermarkets near(ish) but find Tesco suits my everyday needs more; I spend my dosh and a couple of times a year find I have a tidy sum I can just spend, nothing wrong in that I thought. You get some good prices on some bloody good booze this time of year so as I spend this lot of bonus card points I suppose I'll be adding to the next lot as I lay down a few bottles to keep me going for the next few months...its a win win situation when you go in and spend a few hundred quid in one go as so many do this time of the year.

What they do with any info gleamed from my shopping habits makes not a bit of difference to me as a person; thank you Tesco is all I can say :cool:

Just get to the checkout and your opening dialogue should be "I don't use club cards, thank you" and thats the end of it if you choose not to use cards of this nature.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Blue-ray have hardly started, so many people still use DVd, so the death of Blue-ray is a long way off.

no point in killing off a format if very few people can use the format that is replacing it, most peoples broadband can not cope with Hd content.

I think its getting there long way to go though. Sales in 2009 2010 literally doubled. and fox have suggested by 2015 it could start matching DVDs sales, 2016 being target by other studios, so its doing better than expected.

I'm not sure understanding your point of death blu ray sorry.

I will hate it when we are all digital. I just don't feel much value in none physical media.Good job its long off. UK average BB connection is 6.8MB and US is 5.5MB, AU,NZ even lower.
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no point in killing off a format if very few people can use the format that is replacing it.

Hardly started ?
    I wasn't in from the start and I've been collecting for 4 years.

Blurays sales are increasing at a very healthy rate while dvd is on the decline.

At a film fair yesterday it was easy to see how dvd's are now almost worthless on the second hand market.

Generally available titles can be bought for under £2 although as with all things there are some titles that fetch more.

From a collectors viewpoint it seems that dvd's are as worthless now as VHS was in 2002

Having said that , I got the latest Harry Potter Triple Play new and sealed for £8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »

Generally available titles can be bought for under £2 although as with all things there are some titles that fetch more.

From a collectors viewpoint it seems that dvd's are as worthless now as VHS was in 2002

Having said that , I got the latest Harry Potter Triple Play new and sealed for £8.

My local smack sorry Cash Generator shop is good for DVDs, £1.50 - £2 each, box sets from a fiver, some blu ray from £4; I've picked up a few disks from there.

No point in buying a DVD these days, if you wait the BD versions are not much more expensive. I'll not replace all of my DVD collection as I have hundreds but I'll replace a select few dozen over time I suppose. BD players are now <£60, saw one in Tesco this week, multi format, reads off a USB port too.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blinkbox, which now has access to Clubcard account details, nice of Tescos to give peoples info away without their permission.
    sure Tesco may own Blinkbox, but it still a separate thing at the moment.

I am so glad I don't have Loyalty cards and that have just proved to me why I avoid them

While people have probably not read the terms and conditions of their Tesco Clubcard, they allow transfer of basic data to other companies in the group or those associated with it - in the same way as a number of other "free" services pay for themselves in this manner. Mongrels had a hilarious sequence on the consequences of not reading the iPlayer T&Cs.

Blinkbox is almost certainly the reason Tesco commissioned their Freeview HD box which is due to get IPTV facilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd not say I was posh? Financially comfortable but posh is not a term I use.

Just the way you come over, apart from using Talk Talk,
    I have the choice of Asda or Tesco as major (big stores) supermarkets near(ish) but find Tesco suits my everyday needs more;

Two stores i don't use, I only been in our Asda twice since it opened about 4 years back and both was in the first year it opened and i think I was in there for ten mins each time

as for Tesco, just don't like the store itself, and tend to stay out of there.

I spend my dosh and a couple of times a year find I have a tidy sum I can just spend, nothing wrong in that I thought. You get some good prices on some bloody good booze this time of year so as I spend this lot of bonus card points I suppose I'll be adding to the next lot as I lay down a few bottles to keep me going for the next few months...its a win win situation when you go in and spend a few hundred quid in one go as so many do this time of the year.

i don't buy a few hundred quids worth of stuff any time of year to be honest. another reason why I don't bother with cards,
    What they do with any info gleamed from my shopping habits makes not a bit of difference to me as a person; thank you Tesco is all I can say :cool:

Up to you at the end of the day,
    Just get to the checkout and your opening dialogue should be "I don't use club cards, thank you" and thats the end of it if you choose not to use cards of this nature.

i say no nectar card these days at work as the checkouts will not accept my discount card unless a nectar card is put in first or the cashier press a button. I no idea how it works as I am not checkout trained.

Not use Tescos for months, in fact it could be other a year.

I use Morrisons now and again, they don't have a card, so not a problem and I noticed that Iceland have given up asking people if they got a bonus card.

These cards benefit the stores more than they do us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    I think its getting there long way to go though. Sales in 2009 2010 literally doubled. and fox have suggested by 2015 it could start matching DVDs sales, 2016 being target by other studios, so its doing better than expected.

I'm not sure understanding your point of death blu ray sorry.

I will hate it when we are all digital. I just don't feel much value in none physical media.Good job its long off. UK average BB connection is 6.8MB and US is 5.5MB, AU,NZ even lower.

Some people think that Blue-ray is going to die soon as people will watch online, i think it will be a few years yet, certainly as a lot of the country still got naff broadband.

There is a article on the BBC news site about a company called Rara starting up offering a susbscription service for music, according to Rara 60% of consumers had never used a digital music service.

i have used one, but to be honest i prefer to buy a CD, quality is better and if I want to rip the music I can do so in the quality I want.

As for DVDs/Blu-ray, I only rent most of them anyway from Lovefilm, can't see the point in owning most of them as I only watch them once.
    but I won't steam as my broadband can not cope with the quality I want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    Hardly started ?
    I wasn't in from the start and I've been collecting for 4 years.

Blurays sales are increasing at a very healthy rate while dvd is on the decline.

At a film fair yesterday it was easy to see how dvd's are now almost worthless on the second hand market.

Strange really as most people I know still don't have a Blu-ray player and still use DVD. i am still amazed at the amount of people who got a HDTV and yet still don't have any HD input.

I was going to buy the latest Transformer triple play and then thhought what is the point i can rent it. a friend who was with me at the time decided to buy it as it was only a couple of quid more than the DVD alone version and as I said when she decides to get a Blue-ray player then she got the disk to play on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local smack sorry Cash Generator shop is good for DVDs, £1.50 - £2 each, box sets from a fiver, some blu ray from £4; I've picked up a few disks from there.

No point in buying a DVD these days, if you wait the BD versions are not much more expensive. I'll not replace all of my DVD collection as I have hundreds but I'll replace a select few dozen over time I suppose. BD players are now <£60, saw one in Tesco this week, multi format, reads off a USB port too.

We got a store called CEX, which is a large version of our Cash generator, loads more choice, in the new year I may have a better look and see what they have got.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    While people have probably not read the terms and conditions of their Tesco Clubcard, they allow transfer of basic data to other companies in the group or those associated with it - in the same way as a number of other "free" services pay for themselves in this manner. Mongrels had a hilarious sequence on the consequences of not reading the iPlayer T&Cs.

Blinkbox is almost certainly the reason Tesco commissioned their Freeview HD box which is due to get IPTV facilities.

Makes me even more glad I don't use loyalty cards