Is Hannah a one trick pony?

Comments

• JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Do you have to be so rude for no reason what so ever?

Jered, you're one to talk....:p

Even you must know Hannah has a lot of work to. :)
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Jered, you're one to talk....:p

Even you must know Hannah has a lot of work to. :)

Judging by her 3 live performances so far which have all been good, excluding the sing off, no i dont.
    Forum Member
    Judging by her 3 live performances so far which have all been good, excluding the sing off, no i dont.

Her week 1 performance was great. But the last two weeks showed the return of screechy, shouty Hannah. :o
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Since when has having a distinct style of performing been a bad thing in the music industry?

Did James Brown do ballads?
    Did Morrissey do thrash metal?
    Did Kurt Cobain do hip hop?
    Did Shane MacGowan do disco?

No........and thank goodness.

It's not that she's singing in one genre, it's that she's singing in one timbre. That's what makes her boring in my view.

Listen to Aretha, Whitney, Chaka, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Rickie Lee Jones, even Joni Mitchell, and you'll hear people who change the way they use their voices. They vary not only volume but the tone, the way the voice is used and produced and the sound it makes. Hannah sings each note the same way from first to last - or so it seems by the end of it.

If she wants to be a soul / blues / jazz singer she needs to give more. She needs to give an interpretation of the song which reflects the song's mood and character, which adds meaning to the lyrics.

She needs to be part of the creation of the mood of the song.

She needs to make it live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Hannah can do upbeat or more soul she just needs to sing less boring ones Adele, Emeli Sande those artists songs are played over and over again I think some people are sick of hearing those songs tbh. She needs to sing more interesting soulful songs or some upbeat songs. She really needs a break from ballads for a week or two.

I reckon Hannah could sing Chaka Khan - I'm every woman for disco week this week a perfect song for her.

Agree thoroughly. Fed up of hearing songs from the same old artists over and over. Adele isn't the only great vocalist out there. There are plenty of people who don't get a look in. Annie Lennox, Carly Simon, Donna Summer...not everyone loves Adele.
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think the great soul, jazz and blues divas to whom she wants to be compared had a lot more lightness of touch than she does. They knew when to hold it in and when to blast it out, they knew when to be light and playful and sweet and loving and tender and all the other moods humans are capable of.

Hannah only seems to be able to turn it up to 11, which she can do quite well, but she needs to be able to do more imo.

This is spot on imo. She can certainly sing but she has an ugly tone to her voice I personally dislike (my husband doesn't mind it though). I thought her performance of Beautiful was awful, it's such a gorgeous, heartbreaking song and she just foghorned her way through it at maximum belter power the whole way, there was no sensitivity or variation. Her performance of Skyfall was a lot better as she did vary it a bit, and she certainly didn't deserve to be in the bottom 2 on the strength of it.

But yeah, she is looking very one dimentional in terms of her performances so far, disco week should be interesting to see if she can actually do more than just bellow.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that she's singing in one genre, it's that she's singing in one timbre. That's what makes her boring in my view.

Listen to Aretha, Whitney, Chaka, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Rickie Lee Jones, even Joni Mitchell, and you'll hear people who change the way they use their voices. They vary not only volume but the tone, the way the voice is used and produced and the sound it makes. Hannah sings each note the same way from first to last - or so it seems by the end of it.

If she wants to be a soul / blues / jazz singer she needs to give more. She needs to give an interpretation of the song which reflects the song's mood and character, which adds meaning to the lyrics.

She needs to be part of the creation of the mood of the song.

She needs to make it live.

I don't agree - I've bolded the people that I personally don't care to listen to above. I'm not saying they aren't good singers, they are just not to my taste and even Ella I find annoying when she does skat singing.

There are very few jazz blues singers that I really like. Billie Holliday and Amy Winehouse are two of my favourites because of the emotion conveyed when they sing. I get that same feeling from Hannah, especially when she sings songs that are close to her heart such as A Change is Gonna Come.

For a 17 year old girl with not much experience she's a pretty amazing raw talent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sycamore wrote: »
    This is spot on imo. She can certainly sing but she has an ugly tone to her voice I personally dislike (my husband doesn't mind it though). I thought her performance of Beautiful was awful, it's such a gorgeous, heartbreaking song and she just foghorned her way through it at maximum belter power the whole way, there was no sensitivity or variation. Her performance of Skyfall was a lot better as she did vary it a bit, and she certainly didn't deserve to be in the bottom 2 on the strength of it.

But yeah, she is looking very one dimentional in terms of her performances so far, disco week should be interesting to see if she can actually do more than just bellow.

I thought the problem with Beautiful was the arrangement. Hannah had to compete with a very loud backing track which she didn't need. Someone should let the miusic arrangers at the X factor know that more is not necessarily better.
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    The thing I find with Hannah is how forgettable she is. I dunno, she just doesn't stand out much. :o
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's one of the most unlikeable contestants ever
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

Why do you say that? She's the only one with any sort of personality this year and that too she's got a bubbly personality. :p
    Forum Member
    Why do you say that? She's the only one with any sort of personality this year and that too she's got a bubbly personality. :p

A bubbly personality that can sometimes come across as patrionising to most viewers. I think the only time she shows her personality is on xtra factor, it doesn't really come across when she's performing.

Tamera however captivates audiences with her performances despite lacking personality and with the allegations made against her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sycamore wrote: »

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. For a start we have only seen her sing a few times, and with the song choices she has been given we are hardly likely to see the best of her anyway. I would like to see her sing something from someone like Ella Fitzgerald, or Nina Simone, but she is not likely to have chance to do that on this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A blubby personality more like. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you ever met her then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on. Some people do make some very odd comments on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think that if you listen to, for example, Whitney Houston doing that classic recorded version of I Am Nothing, nearly every line is sung in a slightly different voice / style. She follows the meaning each line and imbues it with a specific emotion. How much that is pre-planned and how much of it is instinctual I don't know - probably a bit of both - but that's what makes it a great performance. It's like hearing a great actress speaking lines in a play. She brings an extra dimension to the words and gives them force and power.

Hannah's force and power come mainly from belting it out and giving the impression that she's so overcome with emotion that she's about to explode. Of course there's a place for that, but whispering the words "I love you" can have as much or even more impact as yelling them at the top of your voice. Hannah doesn't seem to get that.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    A bubbly personality that can sometimes come across as patrionising to most viewers. I think the only time she shows her personality is on xtra factor, it doesn't really come across when she's performing.

Tamera however captivates audiences with her performances despite lacking personality and with the allegations made against her.

Evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBOr__0Dwbc

At 1:11:50 Her comments start - have you ever seen someone more thankful and smiling/laughing as much as she did?

Do her emotions seem genuine or fake? Even if it is fake - how on earth is that patronizing to viewers? Does she talk down to people? In fact I feel it's opposite, she seems like a bit of an airhead to be able to do that!

I really like Tamera - in fact I like all the girls - which is why I'm not going to say anything to that but all I can say is that Hannah gives it her absolute all in her performances. I don't see why if you like Tamera why you have to dislike Hannah? I feel the mentality on this forum is to like only their favorite and dislike everyone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think that if you listen to, for example, Whitney Houston doing that classic recorded version of I Am Nothing, nearly every line is sung in a slightly different voice / style. She follows the meaning each line and imbues it with a specific emotion. How much that is pre-planned and how much of it is instinctual I don't know - probably a bit of both - but that's what makes it a great performance. It's like hearing a great actress speaking lines in a play. She brings an extra dimension to the words and gives them force and power.

Hannah's force and power come mainly from belting it out and giving the impression that she's so overcome with emotion that she's about to explode. Of course there's a place for that, but whispering the words "I love you" can have as much or even more impact as yelling them at the top of your voice. Hannah doesn't seem to get that.

But Hannah is a soul artist, and the vast majority of them do belt out their numbers. That's just a trademark of the style of music. Listen to such fine singers as Beverley Knight and Mica Paris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidence:

At 1:11:50 Her comments start - have you ever seen someone more thankful and smiling/laughing as much as she did?

Do her emotions seem genuine or fake? Even if it is fake - how on earth is that patronizing to viewers? Does she talk down to people? In fact I feel it's opposite, she seems like a bit of an airhead to be able to do that!

I really like Tamera - in fact I like all the girls - which is why I'm not going to say anything to that but all I can say is that Hannah gives it her absolute all in her performances. I don't see why if you like Tamera why you have to dislike Hannah? I feel the mentality on this forum is to like only their favorite and dislike everyone else.

I really like both Tamera and Hannah, and for two people who are both so young and inexperienced i have been very impressed by the way they have performed.
    Forum Member
    Evidence:

I don't dislike Hannah. I'm just stating what I've been noticing on social media. Some people have said they think Hannah is far too aggressive. It's weird because this time they didn't need a 'bullying scandal' story to emerge for them to label one of the contestants 'aggressive'.

Ironically stories about Tamera are all over the papers, making headlines. But she's still picking up votes. I'm glad, they're judging on her performance and not her behaviour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Hannah is a soul artist, and the vast majority of them do belt out their numbers. That's just a trademark of the style of music. Listen to such fine singers as Beverley Knight and Mica Paris.

I think her register is lower than singers like Beverly Knight. I don't know much about labelling people's voices but I would have said that Hannah has a contralto voice, much like Nina Simone and Amy Winehouse. Beverly Knight apparently is mezzo-soprano (I just looked it up) as was Whitney Houston.

I'm wondering if some people just dislike that low register? Personally I love a deep rich voice, but many people will prefer the Whitney type singers and Aretha another mezzo-soprano (who I find quite shrill and painful to listen to) It's horses for courses I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek:

No. They really don't. They have nuance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't dislike Hannah. I'm just stating what I've been noticing on social media. Some people have said they think Hannah is far too aggressive. It's weird because this time they didn't need a 'bullying scandal' story to emerge for them to label one of the contestants 'aggressive'.

Ironically stories about Tamera are all over the papers, making headlines. But she's still picking up votes. I'm glad, they're judging on her performance and not her behaviour.

I wonder if anyone can point out an example where Hannah has been aggressive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone can point out an example where Hannah has been aggressive?

Well i have'nt. Quite the opposite to be honest as she comes across as being a very pleasant young lady.