Options

Do you want the old smilies back?

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the newest smileys! An improvement on what we had a day or two ago-though still not as good as the ones before the changes!

:p looks like a snake, with its green face and little protruding tongue

I was going to ask what :blush: was, but hovering my mouse arrow over it revealed it was to signify embarrassment and blushing. How many people do you know who go mauve when they blush?

I assume ^_^ is supposed to mean something like 'I'm saying nothing/draw your own conclusions'. Maybe useful if we're discussing something with possible legal/libel implications, but otherwise defeats the point of coming on a discussion forum.

Not sure about :kitty:. Is it supposed to be patronising as a response, like someone stroking a cat-or could it signify feeling pleased, like a cat fed or stroked?
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I always have a smile on?! :D

Nope. Because you're a sarcastic bastard. :)

Or should that be > :):):)

:p:D
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    You can't have grown that attached in 3 months. Change happens. Embrace it.

I've been lurking this forum for years.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The toothy-grin is an improvement on the yellow-toothy-grin, which it has just replaced, but still not a patch on the toothy-grin we had here long term prior to that.

Looking at it :D, all you need to do is colour it yellow, add a little round black cap, little pigtail coming out from the back of the neck, and hey presto, 'Ah-so, velly velly good!' one old-fashioned Chinky Chinaman stereotype!
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Nope. Because you're a sarcastic bastard. :)

Or should that be > :):):)

:p:D

I'm never sarcastic :D:cool::o

:)
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Embarrassed smiley has changed . He's got pink cheeks again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This. Its amazing what people can find the time to get so upset about while they let serious issues pass them by. Sad really.

You can't spend your whole life thinking about serious issues, you would go completely mad, sometimes you have to talk about the more trivial stuff and the minutiae of life (and forums) too!

A lot of forums have quite rubbish smilies, but DS had really good ones, so it's a shame they had to mess with something that judging by this thread, most people really liked.

The ones that first appeared after the changes were awful, all so similar looking, but this second lot that we have now are pretty good, nearly back to what we had before, though not quite as good, but at least we have some sort of green grin again! I have to say I like the new cat one, even if it does look more like a bear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not sure about :kitty:. Is it supposed to be patronising as a response, like someone stroking a cat-or could it signify feeling pleased, like a cat fed or stroked?

Or could mean cool, a bit like the sunglasses one, i.e. a cool cat!
  • Options
    IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh cocksacks.

I was really enjoying everyone refusing to use smileys in protest.

I hate bloody smileys.

:D:D

I do love the Internet sometimes. A forum devoid of smileys as protest makes me laugh soooo much that I definitely need to go ott on the green grinning man now :D:D:D:D:D

Sorry Stoatie :D:D:D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I have to say I like the new cat one, even if it does look more like a bear.

Yes, but what is the 'cat' emoticon for. Answers on a postcard please.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Yes, but what is the 'cat' emoticon for. Answers on a postcard please.

An acknowledgement of being mischievous, cute, daft or coy.

Usually used after saying something provoking, sarcastic, nerdy or outlandish. "Didn't you recently vow not to respond to my posts again? :kitty:" or "Confession: I couldn't help but lick a street pole during an icy winter. :kitty:"

Here's the usual/old emoticon: (=^・^=) or :3
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Yessss!

At last, the fabled Cat smiley that we have all yearned for all these years is here! :kitty:

I miss the rolley eye smiley....and also the embarrassed smiley :cry:
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't like the blush smilie. Can we have the old one back pls which looked embarrassed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Don't like the blush smilie. Can we have the old one back pls which looked embarrassed?

oh i kinda like it more :blush:

:D:p..im getting used to them now ;-)
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see they have changed the blush one back again. It was purple yesterday.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote:

:blush: definitely too much blushing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avidian wrote:
    At last, the fabled Cat smiley that we have all yearned for all these years is here! :kitty:
    What does the kitty say?

Miaow.

:kitty:
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    What does the kitty say?

Miaow.

:kitty:
    WOOF WOOF
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote:
    WOOF WOOF

Woof woof who?:D
  • Options
    HappyChappy03HappyChappy03 Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah I quite like the new ones ^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the ONLY thing about the new look that i don't like. BRING BACK THE OLD EMOTICONS! :D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the ONLY thing about the new look that i don't like. BRING BACK THE OLD EMOTICONS! :D

I agree. The new ones are really terrible. Look very amateurish and ill drawn.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    An acknowledgement of being mischievous, cute, daft or coy.

Usually used after saying something provoking, sarcastic, nerdy or outlandish. "Didn't you recently vow not to respond to my posts again? :kitty:" or "Confession: I couldn't help but lick a street pole during an icy winter. :kitty:"

Here's the usual/old emoticon: (=^・^=) or :3

Sounds a bit like a cross between rolleyes and tongue. Makes sense now, as in a milder version of the word catty, the latter which actually seems worse than rolleyes. Or am I reading too much into this.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/catty
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    :blush: definitely too much blushing

That smiley isn't blushing. Look - it's all squashed. :( I reckon the designer sat on it whilst hastily making some new smileys to appease our protest! That's why it has pink cheeks and a funny look on its face - it's been winded, poor thing.

^_^