Options

How Much Do You Earn?

Comments

• Options
    clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    You sort of hit the nail on the head as to the secret of earning more money. The truth is people generally hold themselves back at a value they think they are worth i.e 15k, 20k, 25k, 30k so they only look for (and apply) jobs in the range they think they are worth.

The truth is people who earn "monopoly money" are not cleverer than people earning 25k, it's just they apply for those jobs and get them.

What about the fact that the higher paid positions advertised want someone with experience that I don't have and also qualifications that I don't have?

How do you reconcile that with your post?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I love these topics - if everything were more transparent otehrs wouldn't be getting shafted. I'm 27 and earn £49k (electronics design).
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curiouso_7 wrote: »
    I love these topics - if everything were more transparent otehrs wouldn't be getting shafted. I'm 27 and earn £49k (electronics design).

Of course, dear.

You're a new poster with a handful of posts and you bump a three year old thread.
    Nothing fishy about that at all, no siree. Not at all.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About to start back on 8k & couldn't be happier, long as the bills get paid :P

Good on you. A decade after university, I earnt 8500 in the 2005-06 tax year, as I had for the couple of years prior. Things picked up from there.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    24,000 although with bonuses I will get very close to 30,000 by April, just a few hundred short of that. For what I do, it's as good a salary as you'll get so it's ample for me.

However, with the wifes earnings, tax credits, family allowance etc we're well below 40,000 combined which doesn't really break even.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less than £15k working full time on min wage, If I wasn't to work I'd rake in similar in housing benefit, tax credits etc, So why am I working again?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I earn not much over 20k for my full time job, but I have made well over 100k in the past 5yrs from buying and selling property.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than £15k working full time on min wage, If I wasn't to work I'd rake in similar in housing benefit, tax credits etc, So why am I working again?

To get out of the house, to have a sense of worth, to meet other people, to progess in your job. If you don't meet any of those criteria or others mentioned, you might as well sit on the dole.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I earn zilch, £0!

My husband earns £19500

Husband now on £26k.

I earn a pittance now, zero hours contract on minimum wage!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I retired in 2002 I was on £60k . I now live on my pension of £30k, gone up since I last posted on this thread.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I still earn less in a month that I did in a week back in the 80s... :D
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently started a new career as a translator, and only earned £5k last year - partly because I was exploited by a dodgy outsourcer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I've recently started a new career as a translator, and only earned £5k last year - partly because I was exploited by a dodgy outsourcer.
    You weren't the one at Mandela's funeral were you?
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I start my first full-time job on Monday, and will be earning about £12,500 a year.

I'm still in this job and am now earning £14k which is still quite low compared to similar jobs.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I earn £22k at the moment. BUT, I went for an interview last night. I have to keep everything crossed, and its for £35-38k. That would be nice.

Its more hours and a longer commute - but I am willing to put myself out quite a lot for that jump in wages.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    You weren't the one at Mandela's funeral were you?

Hehe, I'm a translator, not an interpreter. ;-)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    curiouso_7 wrote: »

Ooh, same field as me!

Systems? Semiconductor?
  • Options
    HappyChappy03HappyChappy03 Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast food worker, £5 an hour.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    If you don't want to say, understandable, but for the people who wouldn't mind, how much money do you earn from your job? Either half time or full time.

For me, I earn £7.35 an hour at a wedding venue. Not bad for a part time job as an 18 year old. Out of the people I know of the same age, I do get paid the most out of a fair majority.

My new job I am getting £9 an hour and I'll be doing between 10 and 15 hours a week.
    In my journalism career, the most I got paid was £19,000 a year working as a digital news producer in London in 2001.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early Retirement at 55 , salary was about 50K..My pension is about 23K a year. I get state pension on top at the end of 2017 when I'm 65.(Now 61)
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16 hours on NMW wage £400 something a month
    Plus Working Tax credits of roughly £93 a week
    DLA of £87 a month

But I pay for my Bus fares which costs me £13 a week or £52 a month
    Plus buy my own lunch.
    I pay council tax and £36 a week rent (half my rent is paid)
    Not really better or worse off then if I was on JSA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Ooh, same field as me!
    And me, more or less...
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Early Retirement at 55 , salary was about 50K..My pension is about 23K a year. I get state pension on top at the end of 2017 when I'm 65.(Now 61)

That is a large pension pot you have. Mine is measly as I couldn't save about £400k into a pension pot in my life !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get £20k basic plus OT .

But the people who used to do my job in our other office were on £35k for the same thing .

So we are a bit disgruntled :(

They either pay me more this year, or I will take my sensational talents elsewhere :D
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    That is a large pension pot you have. Mine is measly as I couldn't save about £400k into a pension pot in my life !!
    36 years service, (government job, science research, computing dept.). Pension 36/80 of final salary. (not sure if final salary, "set in stone" pensions still exists today?)

I also had a lump sum of about £67,000 because I paid extra pension contributions.
    Had a year off due to personal problems in the eighties, then returned, but my previous service 'years' still counted for my pension.
    I admit, it was a rather lucrative pension system, Not that Im complaining..I dont think they have these schemes any more.