Options

Does anyone else HATE Mark Owen's voice?

d56d56 Posts: 5,471
Forum Member
I cannot stand his voice!
Why he sings lead on songs like Shine, when Howard is better vocally is beyond me!

Comments

• Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont really listen to Take That but whenever i hear them on the radio Mark's voice really grates on me. Like chalk being scrapped on a blackboard.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Said it on here a few times - his voice is beyond awful imo. He sounds like a 70 year asthmatic chain smoker..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that he sounds ok on 'Shine' but whan I heard him singing the lead on 'Kidz' live it was awful.
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    The way he says "What you looking at?" in Kidz arrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhh awful
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    The way he says "What you looking at?" in Kidz arrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhh awful

THS!!!

Glad its not just me!
  • Options
    Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Said it on here a few times - his voice is beyond awful imo. He sounds like a 70 year asthmatic chain smoker..

.. being slowly strangled and shaken.

Another 'no' from me. ;)
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    He sounds like Jonathan ross
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His voice is quite good on slow songs like Babe/The Day After Tomorrow but i agree sometimes his voice can be irritating on Shine especially. I think though, part of the appeal of Take That second time around might actually be the fact Gary sings with his soft voice on most tracks but a few require Mark's raspier rockier vocals, thinking about it Shine could only really have been delievered by him to complement the sound.
    Howards vocals suited Never Forget perfectly but some of the songs if not most he sings on the albums are just ok and sound to me like album filler songs.
    Jason has a good voice that's only suited to soft tracks for the main but he clearly lacks self confidence and perhaps doesn't want to ruin their success by having him out on lead so he has a few lines (Never Forget, The Garden) instead. Even in 1994 when asked if he'd take lead on a future single as at the time Howard and him hadn't. Howard was confident and said he'd love to and Jason straight away just said no and smiled.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,449
    Forum Member
    He's a wibble

Awful voice.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and adds to my bafflement at how Take That are so Successful :confused:
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Tone deaf and whiny - why is he even in a group - let alone the singer of 3 solo albums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its awful.Always has been. The vocals on 'Babe' are/where PAINFUL!

Thankfully after reading this thread I now realise I was not alone in thinking this.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His voice was never great, thinking about it. Everyone thought he was cute though back in the day.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hate is a strong word and i would go that far in terms of his voice. however, he is terrible as a lead vocalist. some of his solo work was quite good, you can tell that he has a more hands on approach to the song writing for the tracks he leads for take that this time around. however, his voice is pretty weak.
  • Options
    DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he has a very "distinctive" voice and I agree that it doesn't aways work as a lead on Take That style songs. Personally there are some distinctive voices that I CANNOT STAND, regardless of what they sing - Tom Jones I just can't take.

However, I think TT are greater than the sum of the individuals and his voice works really well on solo parts of songs where he doesn't have the lead (The Garden and Said it All come to mind). If you listen closely he features heavily on the backing vocals to make the TT sound.

However his voice is great on his solo albums (In Your Own TIme) is just a great album.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked a few solo tracks from him...but his voice can sound grating at times definitely.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know really. I don't mind his voice in moderation. I just think there's nothing worse than a group where they all sound exactly the same. Like The Saturdays for instance - I've been a fan since the beginning, but I still struggle to tell who's singing which bit. At least with Take That you've got Mark, Gary and Robbie all with very distinctive voices (I'm not really a fan so I'm not sure what Jason and Howard sound like). I wouldn't like Mark to sing lead on every song, but I think he definitely adds something to the group.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Circus album was very tirering with just Marks vocals dominating the album and quite annoying but like the above post says they got it right with progress by having the mixture of Robbie,Gary and Mark who are all very different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I still wanna have SEXXXXXXXXX with yoooooooouhhhh!!! :eek::sleep::rolleyes::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    What is this shit?! :mad: Mark's voice is amazing! You people clearly need help. What has Mark ever done that makes you think it's right to hate on him?! Ok, I'm a HUGE Take That fan and of course I'll defend him. You may think his vocals are terrible but he can sing 10000x better than some people i.e Frankie cococozza.

He feels the emotion in the song, and What Do You Want From Me? Is about the tough times he had with Emma and it's amazing and sweet and better than what you lot could write! :mad:
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in!!!!!

Never liked his voice, i watched the Progress show on tv at Christmas and Shine and Kids were so bad i had to skip them.

My friend and i used to laugh at his single "Clementiiiiiii--iiiine--iyo-iyo-ine"
  • Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hate gary barlows voice more.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Yes its awful.Always has been. The vocals on 'Babe' are/where PAINFUL!

Easily my least favourite of Take That's classic era. Just an awful song with Owen's paper thin voice not helping.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's good on some songs, but terrible in high register. "Child" is AWFUL.