• jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, cos we all have farms nearby *rolls eyes*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Haha Love it how Mary refuses to play the 'pompous wine expert'.
    The other two numpties going on about 'grassy' flavours.... and Mary sitting there saying "Quite nice isn't it".

You can just tell that her inner monologue is saying "Oh puhhlease!"

Good old Mary!
    'You could run a car on it' :D
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of my favourite food icons, Mary Berry and Michel Roux J :):):)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I really liked the look of that 'mouse' cut.

Very much doubt I could source it anywhere around here though.
    Even traditional butchers are a bit clueless these days, and can look askance at you for just asking them to de-bone a best-end-of-neck or whatever.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know if the cast or crew finished off the fish pie, before the report on how much food is wasted.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    I'd love to know if the cast or crew finished off the fish pie, before the report on how much food is wasted.

Isn't that fairly standard on any cookery programme?
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I thought the whole thing was a waste of time.

On a personal note, in our house bread gets thrown out when it has gone green (something which often takes us by surprise). Not suitable for using up at that stage and, anyway, we don't eat sliced white bread.

Fish is expensive and unlikely to just be lying about waiting to be used up, likewise we don't tend to have fresh herbs lying about.

We certainly don't have large amounts of (lovely and moist) chicken left on the carcass either. We somehow manage to take the meat off in quantities/size that make a proper meal. I do occasionally use the carcass for stock.

We are though of the generation that doesn't stick slavishly to "use by" dates but I guess that, although they alluded to that, it is not "PC" to tell people to ignore the dates which is the only thing that is likely to significantly reduce food waste in many households.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »

On a personal note, in our house bread gets thrown out when it has gone green (something which often takes us by surprise).
    And I thought we were the only ones that ever happened to:D
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »
    I'm afraid I thought the whole thing was a waste of time.

On a personal note, in our house bread gets thrown out when it has gone green (something which often takes us by surprise). Not suitable for using up at that stage and, anyway, we don't eat sliced white bread.

Fish is expensive and unlikely to just be lying about waiting to be used up, likewise we don't tend to have fresh herbs lying about.

We certainly don't have large amounts of (lovely and moist) chicken left on the carcass either. We somehow manage to take the meat off in quantities/size that make a proper meal. I do occasionally use the carcass for stock.

We are though of the generation that doesn't stick slavishly to "use by" dates but I guess that, although they alluded to that, it is not "PC" to tell people to ignore the dates which is the only thing that is likely to significantly reduce food waste in many households.

Haha yes quite! :D

The one thing that's likely to help is the one thing they didn't say.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It was a shame that they seem to have gone back to focusing on wine.

Why the obsession with wine on this and SK?
    Do they not realise that there are plenty of other beverage options to go with food.

She even said she had a preferred white for battered fish & chips :eek:

The perfect time to recommend an ale.
    or a cup of tea. or a glass of water!

My personal preference is 2 cans of Coca-Cola ;)
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Tonight 'Chef' Kerridge tells us how to make a meal for £2 a head on a budget :) Then the wine expert shows us a bottle of wine at £10 a bottle??? to accompany it :o on a budget???
  • red29red29 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Tonight 'Chef' Kerridge tells us how to make a meal for £2 a head on a budget :) Then the wine expert shows us a bottle of wine at £10 a bottle??? to accompany it :o on a budget???

This made me laugh (not your thread but their prices per head!),the £2 per head dessert was not cheap either! I can make several different curries that work out at £0.30- £0.50 per head depending upon how big the portions are.

Even when they did the section talking about food choices in poverty the chefs were still blathering on about food quality! They haven't got a clue - though I do think if you like Indian food you can eat fantastically on a very small budget!
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It was a shame that they seem to have gone back to focusing on wine.

Why the obsession with wine on this and SK?
    Do they not realise that there are plenty of other beverage options to go with food.

Part of the tradition of the show I guess.
    Remember that pickled wino of a woman Jilly Goolden on the original programme
    Forum Member
    Yes but last series she branched out and gave an alcoholic alternative to wine and even a non-alcoholic alternative.

As for this week I have to agree with you that you sometimes just have to laugh. They just don't get it do they?

I like the fact that they've tried to concentrate on leftovers and budget but i'm sure there are a lot of people out there, who don't live off ready meals, who could show them a thing or two about cooking on a budget and using up leftovers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's entirely the point Arabella Wier's piece was about. They tried to discuss it but you can't really expect two michelin starred chefs to have any real idea what cooking on the breadline in 2013 means.

As posters have said, you can eat reasonably healthy on a small budget. But you can't make the kind of food that a TV show would be interested in
    Forum Member
    Not a bottle of wine in sight tonight!

Although I would have paired the dishes the other way around.

I would have had a cider with the ham & chicken pie and an ale with the scotch eggs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god, a forager. It's ok if you live in a shack by the sea, but it's not exactly practical on a housing estate in Bradford is it? And where did you forage the olive oil and cider vinegar then?
    Forum Member
    I bet he wouldn't be happy with his foraging if everyone else decided to do it.

Also i'm not sure about the hotdog. A hot dog is a certain kind of sausage in my mind. Smoked/cured/brined.

His was just a pork sausage in a bun.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    I think i'm going to stop watching this, the sanctimonious attitude throughout is annoying.
    Forum Member
    Just heard the announcer on BBC2.

Tonight is all about veg and they're even matching wines

Sounded like he was shocked that you could drink wine with a veggie meal :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Environmental issues around vegetarianism because the forests are being ploughed to sow soya beans... Well that's a terriblly thought out and badly reasoned argument...can see the sancamoneuos attitude...
    Forum Member
    I realise that western culture is majoraly different to many parts of Asia but i'm surprised they didn't mention veggie diets in those regions and health issues.

Either those people are all unhealthy because they wouldn't be taking supplements or being a vegan/veggie can be fine.

or course, they did the discussion from the point of being meat lovers so they don't want to give vegan/veggies any pats on the back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Of course, they did the discussion from the point of being meat lovers so they don't want to give vegan/veggies any pats on the back

I don't think there'd be any point preaching to the choir though. Surely the point of the piece was to get people thinking about the meat they buy, how much of it they eat, how much it costs and what goes into producing it. Not to make vegetarians feel somehow morally superior, what's the point of a show trying to do that? You can't start that from an absolutist 'meat bad, vegetables good' angle, people who eat meat just won't buy into it. The notion they went for; that meat is (or should be) a 'luxury' product and that vegetables should be a bigger part of our staple diet in the west was, I think, a reasonable angle to go for if you're attempting to encourage the carnivorous majority to eat less meat and therefore reduce the deleterious effects of meat production.

They weren't trying to convince people to turn vegetarian, that's a ludicrous idea because it's way beyond the capabilities of any tv show. But maybe convincing people to have a meal with meat in it once a day rather than twice but have good meat produced responsibly rather than cheap meat? That's at least possible, or at least seems so to me.

Jon
    Forum Member
    I'm a meat eater and should eat more fruit and veg myself but the journalist was OTT with his meat loving agenda.

It's not about making veggies feel morally superior. Infact it was the opposite from his point of view.
    As I said, if a meat free diet requires supplements then what about the millions/billions of people in India/Asia who have a meat free diet?
    Are they all malnutrinished?

I have no problem with the overall theme of the programme in that you don't need meat to be the star.

I think HFW did better on his series but then again he had a full series to explain everything. He didn't mention about needing supplements because of the lack of meat.
    Forum Member
    MRJ on his high horse again, this time about supermarkets.

He wants everyone to shop in little artisan shops.

I'm sure it's good for him. A very rich chef living in London with plenty of artisinal offerings from shops, markets and posh department stores but for most it's a weekly shop in one place and that is a supermarket.

Another factor for a one stop shop is because many large supermakets are not in the town centre plus have free parking.