Which tablet...?

Moodie.Moodie. Posts: 61
Forum Member
Help!

I'm looking for a tablet. Mainly for Netflix, amazon prime movies, youtube, reading, surfing, music/tunein radio, and general loafing about.

Can't make a decision for the best out of this bunch. Which one would those in the know recommend, please? Or is there something else out there that's better, that I've missed? :blush:
Maximum I'd like to spend is 300/350.

I'm keen on a Windows one but happy with android too. Really like the lenovo (both Windows n 'droid) but just can't tell which would be best. Especially for kindle/reading pdfs etc.

[URL="Lenovo Tab 2 A10 HD 10 Inch 16GB Tablet- Pearl White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01APQMT7A/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_9xhCxbQXRGE6B"]Lenovo Tab 2 A10 HD 10 Inch 16GB Tablet- Pearl White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01APQMT7A/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_9xhCxbQXRGE6B[/URL]

[URL="Linx 1010 10.1-Inch Tablet - Black (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB Storage, WLAN, Bluetooth, Camera, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01272MLDM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_9yhCxb6VYMWYA"]Linx 1010 10.1-Inch Tablet - Black (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB Storage, WLAN, Bluetooth, Camera, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01272MLDM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_9yhCxb6VYMWYA[/URL]

[URL="Venturer EliteWin 11.6-Inch 2-in-1 Tablet with Smart Keyboard (Intel Atom 1.3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB Memory, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0194NLZMA/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_HzhCxb2EP79H0"]Venturer EliteWin 11.6-Inch 2-in-1 Tablet with Smart Keyboard (Intel Atom 1.3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB Memory, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0194NLZMA/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_HzhCxb2EP79H0[/URL]

10" Windows 10 Fusion5® Ultra Slim Windows Tablet PC - 2GB RAM - 32GB Storage -Full USB Port - Touch Screen - Intel Baytrail-T CR (Quad-core) Z3735F (G) - Dual Camera - Bluetooth Tablet PC (10" IPS Windows 10 2G 32G) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YCX7SGU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_iAhCxb58MXM15

[URL="Lenovo Yoga 2 10.1-inch FHD Tablet (Ebony) - (Intel Atom Z3745 1.86 GHz, 2 GB LP-DDR3 RAM, 32 GB EMMC Memory, 8 MP (Rear) and 1.6 MP HD (Front) Camera, Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, Windows 8.1 with Bing) with Free Windows 10 Upgrade https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SGW5RTS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_QAhCxbKQNZY1T"]Lenovo Yoga 2 10.1-inch FHD Tablet (Ebony) - (Intel Atom Z3745 1.86 GHz, 2 GB LP-DDR3 RAM, 32 GB EMMC Memory, 8 MP (Rear) and 1.6 MP HD (Front) Camera, Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, Windows 8.1 with Bing) with Free Windows 10 Upgrade https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SGW5RTS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_QAhCxbKQNZY1T[/URL]

TIA for any help/suggestions.
:)

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For your requirements, you want the one with the best screen, and I think that's the Lenovo Tab 2 A10.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    let me know, what you decide, I need a new tablet but I really cant decide which one to buy
  • Moodie.Moodie. Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    For your requirements, you want the one with the best screen, and I think that's the Lenovo Tab 2 A10.

thank you! think i was having a wood for the trees moment:blush:
    let me know, what you decide, I need a new tablet but I really cant decide which one to buy

it's terrible isn't it? there's so much choice out there and being non-techie myself, it's tough to make a decision. i'd already been down the chinese import route because i really wanted a dual-boot device. result? i now have a returns on my hand...so after that idea going pear shaped i decided to ask here... and buy locally lol

think i'm going with this one...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-A10-10-1-inch-Tablet/dp/B01127C2OQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1467029257&sr=1-2&keywords=lenovo+tab+2+a10

i liked the lenovo anyway and also it has IPS and this model has 2GB RAM, not bad for the price and for my needs. i'm also an indifferent gamer (just game apps from play) so the extra RAM will hopefully keep things nippy.
    at this price it's worth a punt imo.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moodie. wrote: »
    thank you! think i was having a wood for the trees moment:blush:

it's terrible isn't it? there's so much choice out there and being non-techie myself, it's tough to make a decision. i'd already been down the chinese import route because i really wanted a dual-boot device. result? i now have a returns on my hand...so after that idea going pear shaped i decided to ask here... and buy locally lol

think i'm going with this one...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-A10-10-1-inch-Tablet/dp/B01127C2OQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1467029257&sr=1-2&keywords=lenovo+tab+2+a10

i liked the lenovo anyway and also it has IPS and this model has 2GB RAM, not bad for the price and for my needs. i'm also an indifferent gamer (just game apps from play) so the extra RAM will hopefully keep things nippy.
    at this price it's worth a punt imo.

The Linx 1010 comes with a bundled keyboard for £5 more at £129.. You may never plan to use it but it's great to have for if and when you do need. It also has 2GB RAM and the screen, while not as high resolution as some, looks great.
    The Lenovo also says that storage can be "expanded up to 32GB" which doesn't sound a lot. I have a 128GB micro SD card which give me 160GB and being Windows it treats it like any other hard drive. Useful if you want to have lots of movies and music stored.
    Being a PC you can also plug in a standard USB XBox controller to play games.
    As for performance, RAM etc I can play four different HD videos at the same time in four different players, and they all play perfectly. It's a great machine.
    The one weak spot is the speakers. They're fine at home but in a noisy environment they're not that powerful. Though I doubt any tablet would be vastly better.
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    The Linx 1010 comes with a bundled keyboard for £5 more at £129.. You may never plan to use it but it's great to have for if and when you do need. It also has 2GB RAM and the screen, while not as high resolution as some, looks great.
    The Lenovo also says that storage can be "expanded up to 32GB" which doesn't sound a lot. I have a 128GB micro SD card which give me 160GB and being Windows it treats it like any other hard drive. Useful if you want to have lots of movies and music stored.
    Being a PC you can also plug in a standard USB XBox controller to play games.
    As for performance, RAM etc I can play four different HD videos at the same time in four different players, and they all play perfectly. It's a great machine.
    The one weak spot is the speakers. They're fine at home but in a noisy environment they're not that powerful. Though I doubt any tablet would be vastly better.

It's because of you ZZ9, I started to consider a windows tab in the first place :D
    Ergo my subsequent confusion is entirely Your Fault. Ok? :p

I really do want a windows device but after playing with the dual boot tab I've realised, I'd miss quite a few Android apps (gaming/hobby stuff) that you can't get on Windows.
    I'm considering one anyway, but an 8", just to play with and for portability. With the lenovo in the 10".

I could Google but you appear to be the man that knows... Does the 8" also come with a keyboard?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because of you ZZ9, I started to consider a windows tab in the first place :D
    Ergo my subsequent confusion is entirely Your Fault. Ok? :p

I really do want a windows device but after playing with the dual boot tab I've realised, I'd miss quite a few Android apps (gaming/hobby stuff) that you can't get on Windows.
    I'm considering one anyway, but an 8", just to play with and for portability. With the lenovo in the 10".

I could Google but you appear to be the man that knows... Does the 8" also come with a keyboard?

Sorry.:blush:

I've never seen a keyboard for the 8 inch. There may be after market ones, and of course you can use any USB, wifi or bluetooth keyboard.

The apps are the weak sport, but compensated by the ability to run all Windows software. Depending on what you want that will be good or bad. I'm not into gaming at all but there are videos on Youtube of people playing X Box games on Surfaces, even the RT, with or without a X Box controller.
    Forum Member

I've never seen a keyboard for the 8 inch. There may be after market ones, and of course you can use any USB, wifi or bluetooth keyboard.

The apps are the weak sport, but compensated by the ability to run all Windows software. Depending on what you want that will be good or bad. I'm not into gaming at all but there are videos on Youtube of people playing X Box games on Surfaces, even the RT, with or without a X Box controller.

Heh. You are forgiven. The fault is mine... I blame myself for liking shiny tech toys :blush:

My main use is viewing stuff tbh. Anime, world dramas etc. Then there's all the other stuff, including light gaming, not x box/ps4 stuff but more Leo's Fortune (as an example) type stuff.

For sure the lack of apps is window's weak spot however, I can still watch stuff using a browser. It's just more convenient to use the apps (Netflix/amazon film for example) but doesn't mean I need write off a windows unit.

This makes a portable windows device viable because I can use it in bed for catching up with my SK dramas n stuff. Don't really need a keyboard at that size, either. I guess.
    I've already been n fondled the 8" in a shop and gotten excited, so it would be rude not to have a happy ending and become the proud owner of not just one but two new shinies! :D:D

BUT now that I've come to a decision on the lenovo maybe a 7" would be better than an 8"?
    Presumably there would be better specs on a 7", no?
    Forum Member

my previous reply post appears to have vanished? meh...serves me right for using my phone.

anyway.

on balance, i think i may go for the 7inch instead...portability is a deciding factor here as well as (hopefully) better screen specs for the money and size ratio.

i definitely do want to get my mitts on a windows device and whilst i'd agree that the app store is lacking (shame they don't have a netflix and amazon movies app)
    for the way i plan to use it (mainly watching youtube/foreign film/dramas in bed...) i can just as easily do that on a smaller windows device using browsers + will be easier to hold than the lenovo.

btw, when i say gaming i don't mean xbox/ps4 stuff, i mean simple games to be found on Play store like Leo's Fortune, rayman as examples.
    i'm not really a huge gamer.

my main thing is film, reading and surfing/browsing/shopping etc.

honestly, were it not for the lack of transferable apps (like for like) i'd just get windows but i think one of each may be the best way forward, for me.
    neither device is going to be used for productivity and as entertainment units, i don't think i can go far wrong.

i hope lol
    Forum Member
    honest to god my first reply was missing earlier!

i have no idea what happened there but i'll just let both replies stand, i think:o
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my previous reply post appears to have vanished? meh...serves me right for using my phone.

anyway.

on balance, i think i may go for the 7inch instead...portability is a deciding factor here as well as (hopefully) better screen specs for the money and size ratio.

i definitely do want to get my mitts on a windows device and whilst i'd agree that the app store is lacking (shame they don't have a netflix and amazon movies app)
    for the way i plan to use it (mainly watching youtube/foreign film/dramas in bed...) i can just as easily do that on a smaller windows device using browsers + will be easier to hold than the lenovo.

btw, when i say gaming i don't mean xbox/ps4 stuff, i mean simple games to be found on Play store like Leo's Fortune, rayman as examples.
    i'm not really a huge gamer.

my main thing is film, reading and surfing/browsing/shopping etc.

honestly, were it not for the lack of transferable apps (like for like) i'd just get windows but i think one of each may be the best way forward, for me.
    neither device is going to be used for productivity and as entertainment units, i don't think i can go far wrong.

i hope lol

If you are getting a 7" tablet, don't forget to check the screen quality. You can get the iPad mini 2 (which has a great display) for less than £200 for example.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    If you are getting a 7" tablet, don't forget to check the screen quality. You can get the iPad mini 2 (which has a great display) for less than £200 for example.

mmm...not a fan of iOS anymore i'm afraid :)

agreed that they have a great display but they're hugely limiting on what i can run on them. i just wouldn't have the same freedoms. they don't even play youtube vids cos of flash, do they? if memory serves?

*used to be an apple fan*
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmm...not a fan of iOS anymore i'm afraid :)

agreed that they have a great display but they're hugely limiting on what i can run on them. i just wouldn't have the same freedoms. they don't even play youtube vids cos of flash, do they? if memory serves?

*used to be an apple fan*

I've had iPads since they came out and they have always played YouTube videos.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I've had iPads since they came out and they have always played YouTube videos.

My mistake :blush:

I had the phones and I definitely recall them not working some of the time on there. Ipads are obviously different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    honest to god my first reply was missing earlier!

i have no idea what happened there but i'll just let both replies stand, i think:o

I had the same earlier, I cam back to this thread and my last post wasn't there. I thought it had been deleted. A page refresh solved it though.

As for Youtube there are several (unofficial) YT apps on Windows store that are better than the official ones on Android, in that they let you actually download and save videos. The Android app did that, but would only play them when you had a network connection. And when a video was removed from Youtube they removed it from my phone as well! :o
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    You mention you are considering the Lenovo Tab 2, well, why don't you go for the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, £149.99 from PCWorld.

I bought one a few weeks ago when I was underway and had forgotten my iPad Air, and am amazed at how good it is, especially at that price. In fact in one respect it is actually better than the iPad - sometimes I often have trouble with the iPad picking up a wifi signal. Well, in exactly those places the Lenovo gives me no hassles at all. It's a tad slower than the iPad, but just as tad, and even though on paper the screen resolution isn't as good, the picture (been watching Euro 2016 on it) seems to be just as good. Oh, and the build quality is excellent and it takes a micro SD card for films etc. Take a look at it.
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    You mention you are considering the Lenovo Tab 2, well, why don't you go for the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, £149.99 from PCWorld.

I bought one a few weeks ago when I was underway and had forgotten my iPad Air, and am amazed at how good it is, especially at that price. In fact in one respect it is actually better than the iPad - sometimes I often have trouble with the iPad picking up a wifi signal. Well, in exactly those places the Lenovo gives me no hassles at all. It's a tad slower than the iPad, but just as tad, and even though on paper the screen resolution isn't as good, the picture (been watching Euro 2016 on it) seems to be just as good. Oh, and the build quality is excellent and it takes a micro SD card for films etc. Take a look at it.

The screen resolution on the Tab 2 is better and also has 2gb of ram compared to 1 on the Yoga.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Brady12 wrote: »
    The screen resolution on the Tab 2 is better and also has 2gb of ram compared to 1 on the Yoga.

Saw your post and looked up the specs, and you are right. Wonder why the newer model was downgraded? I know nothing abou CPUs, but they have a different on. Also the Yoga 3 is cheaper new than the Yoga 2. Maybe that's why some of the specs were downgraded.
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Saw your post and looked up the specs, and you are right. Wonder why the newer model was downgraded? I know nothing abou CPUs, but they have a different on. Also the Yoga 3 is cheaper new than the Yoga 2. Maybe that's why some of the specs were downgraded.

I'd already looked at the Yoga and discarded it for that very reason :) but I appreciate the suggestion. It looked an interesting device.

In the end I bought a windows device - linx 7 inch tablet - and the teclast tbook 11.
    If no one has heard of the tbook, have a looksie. Dual boot (android and win 10) and 4GB RAM. What sold it was the RAM. It's a surprising bit of kit and cheap enough that when it dies on me, it can comfortably be replaced.

Next time, I'll probably give the lenovo a whirl. To the poster who was following the thread because he couldn't decide either (forgot user name soz) - if you don't mind chinese, give the tbook a try. It's pretty good. The linx also doesn't disappoint, although the 1GB RAM is telling.
    :)