Options

The new Midsomer Murders with Neil Dudgeon Thread

Comments

• Options
    MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this series, disappointed it's finished already! That said, I am a complete newbie to MM, literally only started watching in this series! So I'll have to invest in some dvd's and indulge myself. I am no use at guessing the killer in crime dramas but I thought I had it cracked last week when I picked the nurse/health visitor woman. I was almost there! :p
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen her in something else years ago but can't remember what. I remember at the time not knowing that she was Annette Crosbie's daughter but thinking 'Wow she sounds so much like Annette Crosbie' - then Googled her and indeed she was Crosbie's daughter! I've never in my life heard of a mother and daughter who sound so similar - not just the accent but the whole pitch and timbre of their voices.

Janet Ellis & Sophie Ellis-Baxter!!!
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw John Nettle's last episode on ITV3 the other night. I do miss him and Jones. There was a woman copper who got promoted to detective who was in the last few Nettles' ones and was there at Tom's leaving do. It looked like they were building her role up and then she just disappeared when the Dudgeon episodes began. Very strange. It might have helped the dynamic to keep her.
    Maybe she went to the same place that Stuart Fraser from Taggart disappeared to or came down with s tummy bug the same as the DS Scott did when Jones took over!
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Janet Ellis & Sophie Ellis-Baxter!!!

Oh but I don't know Janet Ellis really - before my time - so I was obviously talking about from my own experience. I can only call Sophie Ellis-Bexter's voice to mind.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Saw John Nettle's last episode on ITV3 the other night. I do miss him and Jones. There was a woman copper who got promoted to detective who was in the last few Nettles' ones and was there at Tom's leaving do. It looked like they were building her role up and then she just disappeared when the Dudgeon episodes began. Very strange. It might have helped the dynamic to keep her.
    Maybe she went to the same place that Stuart Fraser from Taggart disappeared to or came down with s tummy bug the same as the DS Scott did when Jones took over!

If you mean Stevens she injured herself and had to call a injury lawyer company "when will this pain ever go away" :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh but I don't know Janet Ellis really - before my time - so I was obviously talking about from my own experience. I can only call Sophie Ellis-Bexter's voice to mind.

Janet E was interviewed countless times when Sophie was in Strictly, and is a regular on the Wright Stuff panel. I can't say I know her for anything prior to that.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 18 starts filming next month
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

I wonder why they're getting rid of the old one. She had a repore with the other characters. Though hopefully the new doctor is an interesting character.
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ooh! Just looked her up and she's currently in Ordinary Lies (the woman who was obsessed with Jo Joyner's missing husband).
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why they're getting rid of the old one. She had a repore with the other characters. Though hopefully the new doctor is an interesting character.

That would, at least, make up for the boring, one-dimensional Barnaby!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would, at least, make up for the boring, one-dimensional Barnaby!

I like the new Barnaby - at least is an improvement on John Nettles who huffed and puffed and wheezed his way through the last couple of series he was in. And as for his boring, 'oh so perfect' wife and daughter! 'New' Barnaby's wife is 100% better! And I love his dog!!!
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame about kate i wonder where nelson will be living?
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

Good news it's 6 instead of usual 4 stories. They did 5 a couple of years ago to include 100th in Denmark. Always nice to get more.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lindenlea wrote: »
    Ooh! Just looked her up and she's currently in Ordinary Lies (the woman who was obsessed with Jo Joyner's missing husband).

Yes she's quite good in it, hopefully a good casting.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Good news it's 6 instead of usual 4 stories. They did 5 a couple of years ago to include 100th in Denmark. Always nice to get more.

6 will be good. 4 always feels a little bit blink and you'll miss it
  • Options
    BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Shame about kate i wonder where nelson will be living?

A very good question - I was wondering that myself. Not happy about this development because Kate had a strong enough bond with Nelson and the Barnabys to keep her character going for a good while. If it was the actress's decision to leave, then fair enough, but I hope she wasn't axed.

If they've got rid of a good character for the sake of a love triangle (the press release says the new pathologist "will cause DS Nelson trouble in more ways than one"), then that's a poor decision in my opinion.

Oh and why does it have to be a 2016 premiere? I'm just saying, if they're doing 6 and have already started filming, they don't have to wait 'til all 6 are ready and show them all in 6 consecutive weeks. Why not spread them out a bit like most of the previous series'?
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Maybe Tamzin wanted to do other things? Don't like kate not being on the new series myself as she really was a very attractive woman indeed
  • Options
    strangerstillstrangerstill Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Maybe they want to increase the ethnic quota.:o
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Maybe Tamzin wanted to do other things? Don't like kate not being on the new series myself as she really was a very attractive woman indeed

With enormous knockers, well someone had to say it :p
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    thomscn wrote: »
    With enormous knockers, well someone had to say it :p

Not saying a word ;-):p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they want to increase the ethnic quota.:o

White is an ethnicity too. Midsomer Murders though has been at the centre of a racism storm in the past.
  • Options
    BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Looks like Kate Wilding will have an exit after all (unlike Jones) because apparently she's going to appear in the first episode of the next series. http://www.midsomermurders.org/habeascorpus.htm

If this is true, it's good news! I was worried that we'd seen the last of her without any explanation as to her departure.
  • Options
    tivtiv Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »

Had exactly the same thought myself at the time and think that it could have revitalised the series. Just been watching the episode where WPC Stevens got her promotion to DC and it made me realise how much I miss John Nettles in the role. Extremely disappointed when Neil Dudgeon appeared and can't take to him, his wife or dog so don't watch any more though my wife does sadly!.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiv wrote: »
    ... Extremely disappointed when Neil Dudgeon appeared and can't take to him, his wife or dog ...

Boring and pointless as the accursed dog is, it has more acting ability in his left hind paw than Dudgeon.

He could save even what little effort he expends on the role by sitting at home and just phoning his lines in.

Couldn't be any less effective than he is now.