Options

The "All New" (Old) Gadget Show 2: The Re-Launch - Mondays @ 8pm on C5

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying The Gadget Show and think Amy has fitted in nicely. They do have some odd ways of eliminating things from tests though!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got around to watching Monday's show last night. I can imagine the production meeting went something like this ..

"Ok guys, Activision have paid us a truckload of cash to promote the latest Call of Duty game so how are we going to work it in to the show as an item?".
    "What about an 'Exoskeleton Special' ?"
    "Brilliant !"

I didn't mind it I suppose, but it was rather blatant :)
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got around to watching Monday's show last night. I can imagine the production meeting went something like this ..

"Ok guys, Activision have paid us a truckload of cash to promote the latest Call of Duty game so how are we going to work it in to the show as an item?".
    "What about an 'Exoskeleton Special' ?"
    "Brilliant !"

I didn't mind it I suppose, but it was rather blatant :)

True. And the weight lifting challenge thing was a bit.. rubbish. However overall it was one of the best shows for a while I'd say. Actual interesting gagdetry with real world applications that matter, like cybernetic hands or for relief in disaster zones. Beats the hell out of yet another sodding 'using your smartphone as a camera supertest'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they do a review of the 3 'big' streaming services and eliminate Netflix within the first two minutes ?

Ok then ..
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess they're not fans of 'Breaking Bad' or Scandinavian' drama series like the Killing, Wallander and The Bridge then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. or original scripted content like Orange is the New Black or House of Cards. As well as the forthcoming films and new shows they've commissioned.

I get why they'd want to include Now TV as the content is a lot more up to date thanks to Sky, but to eliminate Netflix for the reasons they gave was just a bit absurd really.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they do a battery test each year.
    I was watching the one show the other week and they copied them.
    Though think both had different ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they do a battery test each year.
    I was watching the one show the other week and they copied them.
    Though think both had different ones.

I can see the logic in doing that every year though. batteries are a big deal at christmas so it's good to give people a decent idea of the best ones to get.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't disagree with them more when it comes to streaming services. I have tried all the ones they mentioned and Netflix is my favorite followed by Amazon Prime (Which is why I kept both these services). One of the things they missed from Netflix is that with very little technical knowledge you can access other regions such as the USA making by far the best library of Movies and TV.

Also the extra "features" they mention about NowTV such as sport costs extra and isn't included the standard streaming service, if you going to do that then you may as well say Blinkbox gets movies before everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guy says - "It was designed after the velociraptor"
    Ortis replys "Ahh from Jurassic Park"

lol seriously....
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those tablets were wi-fi, No?? so how did they get a signal when on the Bike thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they have a dongle some where?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    [delete]
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they have a dongle some where?
    A mifi of some sort I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is back again Monday 7PM not been to long a break but have put in the planner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still watching. It's no more than a bit of silly escapism at the moment with the occasional moment of interest like the JXD S7800b Android Tablet "Retro" emulator from Monday's show.

I know you could likely replicate the same thing with a regular tablet and the various emulators available, but it did look quite impressive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still watching. It's no more than a bit of silly escapism at the moment with the occasional moment of interest like the JXD S7800b Android Tablet "Retro" emulator from Monday's show.

I know you could likely replicate the same thing with a regular tablet and the various emulators available, but it did look quite impressive.

I still enjoy the show and think Amy is a better fit than Rachel. I also like how John is doing more of the studio links and the competition voiceover, instead of being pushed to one side for his section then that's it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I saw that and what make me buy it stand out is so many games for it and all being free to.
    The spec does let it down though being just 8gb and 1gb ram.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I still enjoy the show and think Amy is a better fit than Rachel. I also like how John is doing more of the studio links and the competition voiceover, instead of being pushed to one side for his section then that's it.

I have to agree actually, she's proving to be a very good choice for the show. Obviously nobody can replace 'my' Rachel (*cough*), but Amy has been good.
    Yes I saw that and what make me buy it stand out is so many games for it and all being free to.
    The spec does let it down though being just 8gb and 1gb ram.

1GB of ram would be far more than you'd ever need for the types of games you'd be playing on it. I suppose many would say that the games are "free" anyway, but I guess with this tablet, they're legally "free".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's back.

Not really any kind of major updates but a few notable ones. Visually tweaked with each segment effectively getting a 'title card' now.

The Gadget Help feature is nicked from Sky's Gadget Geeks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

The YouTube star feature could be interesting, but i guess with only around 5 or 6 alloted minutes to segment, you're not really going to get any kind of major insight over and above what they actually use to produce their content.

I know it's a marmite show for many, but i'm glad it's back.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Well it's back.
    Could have started a new thread, Jase! :(
    Not really any kind of major updates but a few notable ones. Visually tweaked with each segment effectively getting a 'title card' now.
    And no studio links. I miss them.
    The YouTube star feature could be interesting...
    And, personally-speaking, couldn't interest me less. Something else to FF I guess.
    I know it's a marmite show for many, but i'm glad it's back.
    Me too.

I loved that proper, actual, driving simulator but I'm sure it would only work properly with all the right gear. I don't think a wireless 360 controller would cut it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to have it back buy I miss the studio links.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it's back unsure about new format at the moment but do mss the studio links, i'm not too fussed about youtube start, i do like the gadget help section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First episode was okay, like the rest of you I thought the studio links were better and I think it was a mistake to remove them.

I did turn it off 3/4 of the way through mind you as I got bored :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is till 5 mins of watchable content with 40 mins of fast forward content and that doesn't include FFing the adverts.