What is the step up from a core 2 duo ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    You are completely wrong I'm afraid. Unless you are posting from 10 years ago.

SSD is not just about the transfer rate (which is many times faster than HDD anyway,) it's about the seek times which are between one tenth and one hundredth that of HDD. Even the fastest HDD are not even close.

I can only assume you have never used an SSD because the difference is amazing.

I quote that resonated with me was a guy saying that he no longer had his jpeg's associated with the photo viewer. He has them associated with Photoshop, because they both opened in the same amount of time.

have to second that

i find it's pointless not opening graphics in photoshop as it's so fast
    and when i find the right shot i'd only have to reopen in photoshop anyway
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £80 gets you one perfect for OS and apps and games.

In a desktop you can then get a 3TB drive for another £80.

Performance and capacity for a bargain. I will NEVER own a PC again without one installed.

After looking at some extremely impressive videos of SSD drives, I have decided that while it will take slightly longer (financial wise) to build a new system, this is definitely the way forward. As whoever,hey rightfully stated, you can get a basic drive like a 120gb 2.5" SSD for just under £80 from Ebuyer, which is plenty of space for Windows & apps. I was wondering what peoples opinions were of the SSHD drives ?. The reason I am asking is because a 1tb for £80 sounds tempting if it acts like an SSD.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you keep rebooting while you are installing lots of programs or keep opening the same program or write-only file, it will be quick. But who really works like that? Hybrid drives are useful where you need both speed and capacity and have only space for a single drive. Seagate did a normal 3.5 hybrid but there were few takers as for the price you could have got an SSD with more than enough OS space and a big storage drive as well.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    If you keep rebooting while you are installing lots of programs or keep opening the same program or write-only file, it will be quick. But who really works like that? Hybrid drives are useful where you need both speed and capacity and have only space for a single drive. Seagate did a normal 3.5 hybrid but there were few takers as for the price you could have got an SSD with more than enough OS space and a big storage drive as well.

I don't understand this point. i have a feeling it's wrong. but i can't be entirely sure.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at some extremely impressive videos of SSD drives, I have decided that while it will take slightly longer (financial wise) to build a new system, this is definitely the way forward. As whoever,hey rightfully stated, you can get a basic drive like a 120gb 2.5" SSD for just under £80 from Ebuyer, which is plenty of space for Windows & apps. I was wondering what peoples opinions were of the SSHD drives ?. The reason I am asking is because a 1tb for £80 sounds tempting if it acts like an SSD.

They are good those hybrid drives, the only thing is, they aren't blazingly fast out of the box, as they have to learn how you use your programs etc..., and then adapt :)

Theres also another one of those hybrid drives due out :- http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/seagate_worlds_fastest_enterprise_hard_drive.html

I had to get a big capacity SSD, as my Windows, games (got quite a lot on Steam) etc..., take well over 600gb.

Difference is amazing, only takes about 25 seconds to boot into Windows and load all my stuff up now, where as from my hd, it took well over a minute, its also a lot better for games, as where some have to pause all the time to load new bits in (like HL2 for example which ive got modded with the FakeFactory mod, so took a bit of time in places), its all just instant with an SSD, and then theres the silence.
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSD drives rock.

I purchased a 64GB one from amazon for £44 just to play with. And tbh it's the best £44 I have spent. It's not even a specially fast one etc but I do see a marked differnece in response.