Indian Summers [Channel 4]

Comments

• donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will continue to watch.

Older Indian man who tried to shoot Hugh(?), get an idea its personal. Is Hugh gay and had an affair with older man's son??? See I am making it spice up. Julie Walters told him he needed to get married and she pushed him at the American woman.

Is the sister even married? Oh and I did see the bundle which was the baby in the Rolls,
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I know. It's weird that people can't seem to use a remote. I chose to watch The Casual Vacancy because I preferred the adverts. Indian Summers's adverts put me off. I don't care what channel anything is on (as long as I have the channel), I'll watch anything I like the look of.

I'm always amazed that people still watch commercial TV live! I record all, on my Humax PVR or my DVD/HDD recorders and never have to endure boring, tedious and puerile adverts.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    I wanted to watch it solely because of Julie Walters and so far she hasn't disappointed, but, meh, I won't be watching anymore of it.

That is why I watched for JW but kept zonning out.

Doubt I will watch the other 9!!
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    I will continue to watch.

Older Indian man who tried to shoot Hugh(?), get an idea its personal. Is Hugh gay and had an affair with older man's son??? See I am making it spice up. Julie Walters told him he needed to get married and she pushed him at the American woman.

Is the sister even married? Oh and I did see the bundle which was the baby in the Rolls,

I thought she was divorced? Didn't she say she left her wedding ring back at the house?

I'll take your word for it. :) I won't be wasting my time watching catchup :blush:
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to make a decision last night between this and BBC1 and sadly because we love Julie W I think we made the wrong decision. Just couldn't get into it at all and about ten minutes from the end we looked at each other and said enough ? and turned off.

Not sure where they went wrong it was beautifully filmed and had some lovely actors I think possibly just not a strong enough story ?
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Got bored and stopped watching. Had already missed the first 15 mins so I was really confused and now of the characters were gripping enough.

We were there for the first 15 minutes and it didnt make any difference .!! I had no clue who was who or why .And a baby kept turning up unannounced .
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of concentration and persistence will be required to see this through to the last of ten episodes.
    Will this take us up to 1947?

I'm sure I've seen shorter episodes of dramas, than the trailer for next week.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the rather disappointing Casual Vacancy I switched over to watch this and I rather liked it. I don't normally watch these sort of posh period dramas but I thought the idea of the dying days of Empire would be a decent backdrop for some drama.

It's lavishly shot and beautiful to look at although sadly not terribly gripping so far. I'll stick with it, though, as the preview for upcoming episodes looked quite promising.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and did enjoy it. A lot of characters to take in the 1st episode so not sure who everyone is yet.

Though perhaps it was just me, but did I pick on a incest vibe between the brother and sister. There were two moments, when he was curling her hair and I think the scene was after the shooting and back at home, the sister mentioned they have each other and he looked at her more like a lover than a sister.

Of course I could be completely wrong as I usually am.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very disappointed. Tried to record on Casual Vacancy and Mr Selfridge on Humax but neither recorded. Is something wrong with the Humax you view? Luckily both are on I players so that should be OK.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Profoundly disappointing. No wonder Julie Walters was a bit iffy about promoting it on the Graham Norton show the other night!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Julie Walters really put me off in the Trailer. The comments are mixed enough to mean I probably won't bother.
    I don't like Julie Walters, but I thought I'd give it a try since it was about British India and I had relatives who lived through that time.

Thought it was all a bit of a mess; and JW's acting didn't improve it.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might have been mentioned, but I can't be assed to trawl through the whole thread.

Firstly I think this was well made with good production values, I just hope the plot and the acting holds up for ten weeks.

The credits went through at an indecent speed, but I noticed this was made in Malaya and the production company looked as if it received a 30% grant towards the cost from that government.

Generous? I dunno, I guess they have to spend some of the aid we give them somewhere.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It got 3m - Channel's best drama launch since 2010.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was the last of the Sunday evening dramas I watched, and the best by a long way. Much better than the rather unappealing The Casual Vacancy.

Thoroughly enjoyed it: beautiful to look at, interesting storylines developing and characters I already care about. High hopes for the next nine episodes.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah.Won't watch this again.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I caught up this morning and really enjoyed it! It was a tad long so glad I didn't watch it last night but it was interesting, beautifully done and got all the main storylines in place well- A good opener imo, although I do get some of the 'soapy' criticisms I quite like that (Like Downton when it was good! :p)
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorderd Indian Summers and Casual Vacancy from Sky catch up and watched this afternoon as it was peeling down outside
    Enjoyed both. Will watch again next week
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    I thought it was beautifully shot, brilliant colours and amazing landscapes, but as far as understanding what the h... is going on...? Umm... I'll have to find a review somewhere. ;)
    funci wrote: »
    Some people will just watch anything by JK Rowling.

Indian Summers was excellent and glad I chose to watch this and record Casual Vacancy.

My only criticism is that there were so many characters introduced in such a short space of time I felt like I was playing catch up.

It offered the viewer a lot of intrigue though. The relationship between the siblings is very odd. Of course, Julie Walters was marvellous.

Will definitely be watching it again.
    I agree with you both, the landscape and how it was film was beautifully done, sure as hell doesn't look cheap, so money well spent there. I like Julie Walter's part in it and there seems to be enough story lines to fill out the rest of the ten parts.
    My only criticism is the same as the two posts above - the amount of characters and stories for the debut episode was too much or they weren't clear enough to figure out what was going on with them all. Some characters looked so similar which added to the confusion. Of course it's bound to be made clearer as the drama continues, but by the time they address each unclear situation, the snippet they had initially shown may be forgotten by then to pick it up from. Take for instance what was happening when that bunch of uniformed men (policemen?) were banging on doors and rummaging through houses? What were they looking for? Why at the same time was that young women rubbing her hands in some white-ish looking powder? Why were they frog-marching that guy through the streets (I think it was the powder-hand girl who called out to him from a rooftop).

That said the two story lines I did pick up is that woman with the primary-school aged son and her husband who seemingly prefers to be with the half-caste pretty Indian woman instead (a doctor?) instead of her, that looks interesting; and of course the seemingly main characters of the brother and sister. She's either separated or divorced, and he - I reckon - is gay and maybe the reason why that man shot at him, and possibly the reason why the JW character locked him in that room with that woman so that he gets his Viceroy title. That also looks interesting too, so the drama definitely has potential. ;-) I just hope the following episodes are no more than a hour long!
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already irritated by Julie Waters' character - she's overacting! And even when she just walks around I'm reminded of Mrs. Overall rather than some Raj officer's widow....

On the whole it's OK; a bit 'soapy' perhaps. As it's a 10 parter I don't mind that all of the characters/relationships aren't fully explained yet.

I agree with the poster who pointed out that the Indian woman who 'helps' the mission school guy is stunning looking.
  • babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there is a big love in here for JW, but for me the fact she was headlining put me off.. she is a one trick pony, she plays everything the same, eye darting to the side etc..she is best at most at comedy under the guidance of Victoria Wood..Those days are gone.. Not for me...
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Julie Walters is vastly over-rated. She's just doing her usual 'dotty old woman' act.

I still quite enjoyed the first episode, despite her. It was a bit on the slow side but the locations were great, the characters were relatively interesting and there was enough mystery to make me wonder what will happen next.

I thought it was much better than 'A Casual Vacancy' and I'm looking forward to next week.

(I was hoping for a 'forbidden love' storyline between the Indian civil servant (Dalal) and the Viceroy's assistant (Ralph?) but those hopes were unfortunately soon dashed. It seems like all the relationships will be strictly heterosexual which seems like a missed opportunity, IMO.)
  • tk096tk096 Posts: 5,829
    Forum Member
    Loved JW's closing line - blink, and you might have missed it.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't impressed at all
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked to watch this as I had monday off and it was on the longest, glad I did thoroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to next episode, dont watch Mr Selfridge anymore, gave up on series 2, and caught up with Casual Vacancy yesterday, really will not bother with that again, OH said he will keep it on planner as only 3 episodes, but I wont rush to watch it again.

But I stick with this on a sunday evening.:)