Options

ITV - swung back to Charles Allen era

90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
Forum Member
I've noted during the last year ITV has swung back to the terrible Charles Allen era. Though it wasn't going be like the golden era from the pre-Broadcasting Act 1990, ITV had enjoyed resurgent under Adam Crozier. But the last year the ratings for ITV channels have slumped.

Their new look branding novelty has worn off, the weekend evenings ratings are floundering, breakfast has been having identity crisis and the new channels have been not successful.

I think Peter Fincham's future at ITV should be questioned.

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi 90sfan - nice user name :D

The more I look at what is on ITV, the more I feel they have just given up and are happy just to show endless hours of the same programmes and hope people don't notice.

No fresh ideas, no imagination... Just the same tired old soaps, faces and reality shows.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allen knew nothing about TV so he was the ideal person to run ITV.His asset stripping reached the point where there were no more assets to strip.The ITV network we have today is his legacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Allen knew nothing about TV so he was the ideal person to run ITV.His asset stripping reached the point where there were no more assets to strip.The ITV network we have today is his legacy.

Everything about ITV just screams cheap, tacky, tabloid and disposable.

I never thought I'd end up watching Channels 4 & 5 more than ITV. I really wouldn't miss ITV if it closed for good.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »
    I've noted during the last year ITV has swung back to the terrible Charles Allen era. Though it wasn't going be like the golden era from the pre-Broadcasting Act 1990, ITV had enjoyed resurgent under Adam Crozier. But the last year the ratings for ITV channels have slumped.

Their new look branding novelty has worn off, the weekend evenings ratings are floundering, breakfast has been having identity crisis and the new channels have been not successful.

I think Peter Fincham's future at ITV should be questioned.

I cannot give a suitable reply to your post without asking the mods for permission to rip apart and ruin the reputation of Allen the vilest person ever to run ITV.
  • Options
    90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    The revival of Love Island is the sign that ITV has swung back to Charles Allen era. In 2013 ITV had most successful year since the 90s, it looked like it going in the right direction Adam Crozier but since then things have gone to worse.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »
    The revival of Love Island is the sign that ITV has swung back to Charles Allen era. In 2013 ITV had most successful year since the 90s, it looked like it going in the right direction Adam Crozier but since then things have gone to worse.

The revived Love Island will be an itv2 show
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

The more I look at what is on ITV, the more I feel they have just given up and are happy just to show endless hours of the same programmes and hope people don't notice.

No fresh ideas, no imagination... Just the same tired old soaps, faces and reality shows.

Yeah, they're now the biggest independent producer in the US because of their acquisitions, making them less reliant on advertising revenue. Real sign of a company giving up, is that.

And did anyone see ITV's share price yesterday? Not exactly evidence of a company on its knees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Yeah, they're now the biggest independent producer in the US because of their acquisitions, making them less reliant on advertising revenue. Real sign of a company giving up, is that.

And did anyone see ITV's share price yesterday? Not exactly evidence of a company on its knees.

Who cares what ITV are doing in America? Perhaps they should care more about being a decent channel here rather than concentrating on programming elsewhere.

Unless the Americans have found a taste for hours of Northern England soaps?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

I know, and they seem to think that the viewer will be easily pleased by simply seeing some celebrities. It's as though they actually think we'll be ever so excited to see celebrities on a TV programme.
    Doesn't matter about the quality of the content of the programme, as long as you've got celebrities in it then that's all the viewers want.

But if I'm being really fair this isn't something exclusive to ITV, other channels are also guilty of it. But the problem is when channels all seem to copy the same approaches and formats from each other.
    ITV is an established channel which should be forging its own path and being an innovator rather than going for the laziest options available to them. It's as though they have no pride in their own output anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    The revived Love Island will be an itv2 show

You have to give credit where it's due to ITV for creating the ITV2 channel though.

Because ITV2 is the perfect channel for dumping all the trash where you know where it is and can avoid it much more easily. So convenient.
    It's like the recycle bin on your computer. You know that you're hardly ever going to need to go there to look at anything in it.

It's quite incredible that they created a ITVBe channel as well. It's like ITV2's own recycle bin where programmes which aren't even good enough to get on ITV2 are dumped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »

What shows are ITV making for American television?
    If their shows are so good for American television how come we can't get the good stuff that they've made for them?
    If they're that good then why don't they make equally good stuff for us in the UK?
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What shows are ITV making for American television?
    If their shows are so good for American television how come we can't get the good stuff that they've made for them?
    If they're that good then why don't they make equally good stuff for us in the UK?

itv Studios America makes mainly reality programmes including Hells Kitchen, Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and Chase USA

https://itvstudios.com/studios/usa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    itv Studios America makes mainly reality programmes including Hells Kitchen, Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and Chase USA

https://itvstudios.com/studios/usa

Thanks for the link.

They're not really what I'd call quality shows, but they must be doing pretty well for themselves. I remember a few years ago the financial problems they were having shortly after the recession, but as a company they seem to be bouncing back quite strongly now.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I know, and they seem to think that the viewer will be easily pleased by simply seeing some celebrities. It's as though they actually think we'll be ever so excited to see celebrities on a TV programme.
    Doesn't matter about the quality of the content of the programme, as long as you've got celebrities in it then that's all the viewers want.

But if I'm being really fair this isn't something exclusive to ITV, other channels are also guilty of it. But the problem is when channels all seem to copy the same approaches and formats from each other.
    ITV is an established channel which should be forging its own path and being an innovator rather than going for the laziest options available to them. It's as though they have no pride in their own output anymore.

I am going to sound like a bit of a snob here, but the celebrities in everything issue is being caused by a large portion of the demographic who watch a lot of ITV - they do like celebrities, and read trashy celebrity magazines, follow celebrities on Twitter etc which is why ITV is pandering to them, they make up a large amount of their audience. Downmarket and trashy it maybe but when your sole aim is to provide profits for shareholders then you're going to pander to the people who make the most money...
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to give credit where it's due to ITV for creating the ITV2 channel though.

Because ITV2 is the perfect channel for dumping all the trash where you know where it is and can avoid it much more easily. So convenient.
    It's like the recycle bin on your computer. You know that you're hardly ever going to need to go there to look at anything in it.

It's quite incredible that they created a ITVBe channel as well. It's like ITV2's own recycle bin where programmes which aren't even good enough to get on ITV2 are dumped.
    The original version of this filled up the main channel for about six weeks, same with the second series that ditched Celebrity from the title. It was suggested at the time ITV 2, with its core audience of twentysomething women who bought celeb magazines, would have been an ideal home for Love Island. At least ITV are keeping this puerile show from their main channel, and I would hope the main channel would be showing something decent. It will probably play to about half a million bored young women.