Children Still Wearing Nappies At School

Comments

• bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    In the 1950s babies were potty trained around a year old They still wore nappies at night.

My own kids were born in the 1980s and they were potty trained around 18 months as were all their friends. The nursery school near us wouldn't allow kids to start at 2 and a half if they were not completely potty trained so it had to be done.

My niece tells me that mothers are leaving it much later now, although who decides that I don't know. Maybe its what Health Visitors advise. Her older one will be 3 soon and she hasn't even started him on potty training yet. She says all his little friends are not trained either.

I don't get it because its no big deal and once theyre trained life is so much easier.

I think they leave it more for when the child is ready. I had a friend who was terrified of the toilet. He had been potty trained early and was made to sit on the toilet for ages until he had finished. He ended up in hospital with a water infection and constipation due to the fact that he was holding himself to stop going to the toilet.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I think they leave it more for when the child is ready. I had a friend who was terrified of the toilet. He had been potty trained early and was made to sit on the toilet for ages until he had finished. He ended up in hospital with a water infection and constipation due to the fact that he was holding himself to stop going to the toilet.

That's an isolated case. The millions of people who were successfully potty trained at 12 to 18 months seem not to have problems in that area.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "By the age of 3, 9 out of 10 children are dry most days" http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/potty-training-tips.aspx#close

If the figures of children attending school wearing nappies are worrying, it seems to me there should be active involvement with Health Visitors until children have achieve active toilet use.

All new parents have a Health Visitor, they should be involved with the family - giving advice, etc. - until a child has at least achieved a certain level of potty training (be it dry days and still wet at night or at least some level of knowledge of when they need to wee or poo).

Having the encouragement and back-up of a professional would surely encourage parents to push on with the potty training even when their child may seem to go back a step, which is sometimes a time when parents move back to nappies and give in, rather than persevering.

If a child is attending school whilst still 4 and still wearing nappies full-time then it's not the end of the world, but will obviously be something that the school and parents have discussed. Surely at this stage there should be some questions asked - are you struggling to train your child, do you need support, do you feel they may have a medical problem... and then the school can point them in the right direction to get the additional support they may need.

An older child, 7 - why are the school even allowing this. If the child is wearing nappies full-time at 7 (yes, some children that age still do wear night-time nappies as they may be night-time bed-wetters) surely rather than just carrying on and changing the nappies, the school should be pointing out these issues to other relevant bodies - social workers, incontinence nurses, somebody or pointing the parents in that direction.

I am confused as to why schools change childrens' nappies beyond a certain age, seeing as I couldn't get my disabled child into mainstream playschemes when she was under 5 as they refuse to change nappies. If playschemes and nurseries are refusing to do this, why are schools agreeing to do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    "By the age of 3, 9 out of 10 children are dry most days" http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/potty-training-tips.aspx#close

If the figures of children attending school wearing nappies are worrying, it seems to me there should be active involvement with Health Visitors until children have achieve active toilet use.

All new parents have a Health Visitor, they should be involved with the family - giving advice, etc. - until a child has at least achieved a certain level of potty training (be it dry days and still wet at night or at least some level of knowledge of when they need to wee or poo).

Having the encouragement and back-up of a professional would surely encourage parents to push on with the potty training even when their child may seem to go back a step, which is sometimes a time when parents move back to nappies and give in, rather than persevering.

If a child is attending school whilst still 4 and still wearing nappies full-time then it's not the end of the world, but will obviously be something that the school and parents have discussed. Surely at this stage there should be some questions asked - are you struggling to train your child, do you need support, do you feel they may have a medical problem... and then the school can point them in the right direction to get the additional support they may need.

An older child, 7 - why are the school even allowing this. If the child is wearing nappies full-time at 7 (yes, some children that age still do wear night-time nappies as they may be night-time bed-wetters) surely rather than just carrying on and changing the nappies, the school should be pointing out these issues to other relevant bodies - social workers, incontinence nurses, somebody or pointing the parents in that direction.

I am confused as to why schools change childrens' nappies beyond a certain age, seeing as I couldn't get my disabled child into mainstream playschemes when she was under 5 as they refuse to change nappies. If playschemes and nurseries are refusing to do this, why are schools agreeing to do this?

I totally agree with your last para. My own kids weren't allowed to attend nursery if they were not potty trained. They made it very clear that this was a condition of starting there and all parents had to abide by their rules.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Sorry, but if they MUST work, and cannot look after and teach their kids at the same time, then they shouldn't have had the kids in the first place.

Many parents nowadays abdicate their responsibilities and expect everyone else to do things for them.

Indeed.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree with your last para. My own kids weren't allowed to attend nursery if they were not potty trained. They made it very clear that this was a condition of starting there and all parents had to abide by their rules.
    It is odd. I wasn't aware that schools were doing this as my daughter goes to a special school where a high percentage of the kids are still incontinent, so it surprises me when I hear such things about mainstream schools!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,452
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I saw a Sky News report that Children from age of 5 years and upwards still havnt been toilet trained when they start school. Surely this is the parents fault - and should the teachers change the child?

Children are 'required' to be toilet trained before they start school, kids in nappies wouldn't be accepted at most schools - and staff certainly wouldn't be changing them.

However, an increasing number of children aren't clean before they start school, and as you say it's 100% the parents fault - just too lazy or can't be bothered to do it.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son was still peeing himself occasionally when he was 6. I don't see how I'm the lazy one, it was him that was too lazy to go to the loo!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Bad spelling and grammar is not as bad as still been in nappies is it when your school.

Hard to tell if this post is being deliberately ironic or not. Either way - brilliant! :D:D:D

Nobody said there was none who had no medical problems but the ones who do have medical problems will; have been added to the number as well.

If they take out all the ones with no medical problems that number would drop greatly.

I have a friend who has been a reception class teacher for a number of years. She says she gets at least one child in every intake who is still in nappies. She obviously speaks to the parents to find out about the issue and in her experience, the vast majority of these kids do not have a medical condition or a developmental issue - it's purely down to the parents not having toilet trained them. She is mostly met with the attitude/belief that this sort of thing is down to the teacher to sort out.

I'm not so convinced the numbers would drop that greatly if you took out the ones with no medical problems.
    Forum Member
    My son was still peeing himself occasionally when he was 6. I don't see how I'm the lazy one, it was him that was too lazy to go to the loo!

You were presumably too, lazy to get him trained?.

If you had used terries nappies you've have done it! :D
  • kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another aspect of the faulty logic of this thread is the assumption that this is something new.

How do you know that there hasn't always been a small number of school kids wearing nappies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were presumably too, lazy to get him trained?.

If you had used terries nappies you've have done it! :D

That's a very good point actually. Disposable nappies are now so comfortable and such a good fit and, of course, instantly disposable that I think it's too easy for Mums to stick with them and not rush to get their kids out of them.

I used terry nappies with my kids and for the younger one disposable nappies were just coming out but were very expensive and quite bulky. I stuck with terries but did use the disposables on a one week camping holiday.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lazy irresponsible parenting playing into the hands of the multinational disposable paper product manufacturers. Bring back terry nappies, the child would soon want to be out of them and the parents would by keen to put the hassle of laundering them behind them.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    To the ones moaning about disposable nappies and think they should be banned what about the children who have a medical condition?
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is NOT a teacher's job to change a nappy, but I suppose they might make an exception if the child was developmentally delayed in some way. Most kids are able to be toilet trained between ages 2 and 3, the odd one perhaps still wearing one at night, but otherwise I would be tempted to say lazy parenting if they need one during the day at 5 years of age.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the ones moaning about disposable nappies and think they should be banned what about the children who have a medical condition?

Have that many people called for disposable nappies to be banned? :confused:
    Forum Member
    That's a very good point actually. Disposable nappies are now so comfortable and such a good fit and, of course, instantly disposable that I think it's too easy for Mums to stick with them and not rush to get their kids out of them.

Not so much the 'mums', but more the child - disposables work so well that children don't even know they have wet themselves - where as with a Terries nappy you certainly did.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 1950s babies were potty trained around a year old They still wore nappies at night.

My own kids were born in the 1980s and they were potty trained around 18 months as were all their friends. The nursery school near us wouldn't allow kids to start at 2 and a half if they were not completely potty trained so it had to be done.

My niece tells me that mothers are leaving it much later now, although who decides that I don't know. Maybe its what Health Visitors advise. Her older one will be 3 soon and she hasn't even started him on potty training yet. She says all his little friends are not trained either.

I don't get it because its no big deal and once theyre trained life is so much easier.

You sound just like my mother-in-law. According to her, both her 2 boys were toilet trained at 1 year old, but when I questioned it, it turns out that they were having daily accidents.
    She was a stay at home mum, who used to sit them regular on the potty, and yes there were occasional successes, but more accidents than successes. They were not accident free till around 3. That is not toilet trained in my opinion.

Studies have shown that children don't have the sensation/full feeling to be able to control their toileting till 2+.

My own daughter, we started toilet training at 2 3/4 and she was dry night and day within a week, with only 2 accidents that week, and no day time accidents since, and only a couple of night time ones.

I do think disposable nappies have played a factor in the later training, as have working mothers, but not because mothers now are lazy, but because mothers now don't have time to sit their child on the potty every hour during the day, and be constantly washing and cleaning up after the accidents.

There are of course a number of untrained children where it is down to parental laziness/not knowing how to do it.
    People saying health visitors should be involved. I've not seen my health visitor since my daughter was 8 months old. She wouldn't have a clue about me or my child.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Underage is all one word.

Yeah, yeah. The point being made was about overall competence.
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Bad spelling and grammar is not as bad as still been in nappies is it when your school.

Case closed. Point made.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    When my children were young the went to playgroup, aged 2 1/2 - 3, two mornings a week. The strict proviso in all the playgroups was that the children had to be toilet trained. Everyone I knew had their children trained and all went to playgroup. Of course there was the odd accident and the staff had spare clothes to put on anyone who needed them. My son did once. The following year, at Nursery being their pre-school year all children went to the toilet on their own. Nursery teachers didn't go to the toilet with them and they were expected to manage. They all did. This was in the early 90s. Since then things have gone downhill. Nurseries take children earlier and parents want to rush their kids in there without bothering to prepare them. I think it is easier for some parents to just leave it to someone else. I had a friend whose child went to a childminder every day. The childminder had him in pants and dry all day. My friend used to pick him up and take him home and put a nappy on. If the nurseries and schools refused to take children not toilet trained parents would be forced to do the right thing by their kids.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's DISGUSTING. There is no excuse EVER for not having your children toilet trained by school age. I feel so sorry for these poor kids.

You never heard of this when I was at school. How has parenting gone down the tubes so much in just fifteen years or so?
    Forum Member
    It's DISGUSTING. There is no excuse EVER for not having your children toilet trained by school age. I feel so sorry for these poor kids.

What about the disabled kids and ones with other medical conditions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You keep saying that but that's entirely different. There are severely disabled adults who have no control over the bladder and bowel problems.

We are talking here about your average child attending school and the fact that some are starting school not toilet trained and wearing nappies.
    Forum Member
    You keep saying that but that's entirely different. There are severely disabled adults who have no control over the bladder and bowel problems.

We are talking here about your average child attending school and the fact that some are starting school not toilet trained and wearing nappies.

I was quoting the poster who said there is no excuse ever when obviously there are excuses.

Plus as I said now they want to have them in school at 2 years old this problem will get worse
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's NOT what is being discussed here.

(Where's that rolling eye smilie when you need it?)