Options

some cat keeps coming back to my door

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
hey im not sure what to do with this little cat that keeps coming to mine.

I think i made the mistake of letting it in when the weather was absolutely terrible, i saw it sitting outside underneath the patio furniture and it looked terrified, i opened the back door and it just meowed for ages looking at me, i went to the fridge cause i had some chicken in there and when i turned around it was coming in the door!!. just meowed its head off for a while and then sat on the couch and seemed quite happy to just sit there and be fed chicken. It didnt look like a stray or anything it looked quite well fed and clean so when it stopped raining i just plopped it outside and off it went.

for the past week i cant get rid of it, its constantly meowing at my back door, i put out some food again cause it must be hungry if its mooching about but its sneaked past and got in and i think it thinks it lives here now, currently sitting on my bed sleeping.

It must be someone's cat it doesnt look like a stray.

Im not quite sure what to do iv not had much dealings with cats.

do you think someone is looking for it ?

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best way to find out if its owned is to get a cheap collar from the pet shop and put a short message & contact number in the address bit and attach that to the cat. I think you can download paper collars too (search online) but in this weather I expect they'd fall apart. That way if its just on the cadge hopefully its owner will contact to let you know.
    However its probably lost - if you don't hear anything after putting on the collar, take it to a vet to get it scanned for a chip - they may also know of lost cat listings too.
    After all that its possible its wandered so far from its owners you'll not track them down so in that case either you've aquired a sweet little friend or you'll need to contact a shelter.

eta - thanks for caring - hope if my little one wanders too far someone will help her out!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Please don't feed it'd again, I know it sounds harsh but if it associates your with food, it will continue to return, and as you say, it is probably someone's cat. My boy was gone for 6 months because someone presumed he was lost and fed him. He was 2 streets down when I found him :/

If you can catch the cat, take it to a local vets or shelter for scanning and see if you can reunite it with its owner, if not take it back and let him go again and then try to ignore hi a s bed you can, he will then hopefully return home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry bazaar1, but I don't agree with that. There has, sadly, been quite an increase in abandoned cats - I'd rather a cat found a new home when it didn't need to, than a cat be left without anyone to care for it. Of course, if people got their cats chipped, there'd be less confusion.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Sorry bazaar1, but I don't agree with that. There has, sadly, been quite an increase in abandoned cats - I'd rather a cat found a new home when it didn't need to, than a cat be left without anyone to care for it. Of course, if people got their cats chipped, there'd be less confusion.:(

We have to agree to disagree then, I take endless calls at work from people who's cats have disappeared, and even more from people who take to feeding cats that randomly show up. Many times these match up and live just a few streets away from each other. Cats roam and feeding them only leads them to believe they belong there.

A few weeks ago we had a lovely little cat brought in, she obviously belonged to some one as she had some serious jaw remodelling - £1000s worth of treatment. No chip thought (which i agree is very annoying), fortunately they owners came looking for her a few days later, turns out they lived 5 doors down from the people who'd brought the cat in. The cat had been missing for a week, the family had been on holiday, and left her in the care of a friend who'd let her out by mistake, she'd wandered off - the family went looking for her, put posters up etc. But this family had been feeding her then decided they should get her scanned (which is why she came into us). If they had bothered to knock on a few doors they would have realised that this was a neighbours cats.

There is a difference between feeding an obviously starving cat and one that is obviously someones pet who's just been caught out in the rain. I'm willing to bet there are 1001 stories about cats that have gone missing for weeks/months then return - its normally because someone has been feeding it.

Theres also the additional issue- by feeding said cat you are then taking responsibility for it, and if you then throw it back out you are the one guilty of abandoning it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replies, to be fair iv tried to ignore it for a whole week but it just wouldn't go away! I put it outside again this morning and if it's there when I get back from work I'm taking it to the vet to see if its chipped and then take it from there I guess. I thought I was allergic to cats but I don't think I am lol never sneezed once!
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

Oh, definitely. Thankyou OP for doing what you have done.Would you consider keeping it? I adore cats and I couldn't turn away a cat if it behaved like this one has done.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless you spotty_cat for caring for this distressed little mewer. :)

Perhaps it's a sign that this kitten was destined to be yours :kitty:
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some cats have a variety of "homes".
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »

They do indeed and some have a large radius to cover between homes. Cats also have a good way of making themselves look miserable as that means a good meal.

If it has a good coat and clear eyes, then it is well looked after. If it gets scrawny and bony, then there is a greater chance that it is not being cared for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well its not chipped ... or should i say "she" as i know its female now, but it has been fixed so it was someones cat one point.

Vet says shes perfectly healthy, i had my doubts before all she seems to do is sleep. But vet says this time of year is bad for unwanted pet xmas presents.

Not really sure what my next move is, i think might just let her live here for the time being, see what happens.

she didnt pee or anything in my house last night which i was worried about.

this is what she looks like the now, totally zonked out on the bed.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/universallis999/image_zps9cec42ca.jpeg

never had a cat before so any tips would be appreciated and im fully aware that some wee girl might be crying herself to sleep missing her beloved cat but im not sure what else im supposed to do. I tried to ignore it for a week not sure what else i can do.
  • Options
    davo1980davo1980 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Not everyone would care like you well done.

I would put flyers up for a found cat and also maybe an advert on your local area gumtree. You can also put a picture of kitty on twitter or facebook for people to share.

I had never had a cat until 18 months ago when I got my boy. I can honestly say what a joy they are. If an owner doesn't come forward I think you will have a friend for life. Good luck :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In addition to what davo suggests you can also check around anywhere that has a notice board where someone might have posted a missing poster eg newsagents, community centre, library. Its actually quite common for cats to 'relocate' themselves to new accommodation - especially if their original home has several other cats.

With regards to cat care here's a useful set of links by Cats Protection
    Of course any questions just come back here and us cat slaves will give you lots of pointers.

Had to smile at you thinking she was ill as she is sleeping so much! Cats spend upto 18 hours a day sleeping and snoozing!:) They appreciate being played with between naps though.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    My parents have only ever actively procured one cat (our first kitten when I was little). They've had many cats over the years and every single one has wandered to my parents' home (which is in a very rural area in the west of Ireland) and stayed there to receive comfort, food, warmth and love. Their current cat is a beautiful persian cross breed who's been in residence over 10 years now. My parents never have any idea where these cats come from because they know most of the neighbours in the parish and the nearest house is 2-3 fields away. I know that they would never not feed a cat looking for food (I don't think too many cats are microchipped in that part of rural Ireland where most of the cats are outdoor farm cats).

Cats are just so adept at making themselves at home. Only one of my 3 cats wanders far from home and I really hope that if she ever gets lost then some kind person would care for her and feed her - and obviously take her to be checked for a chip too! However, I can't really envisage any situation where she or any of my cats would not be able to find their way home (unless injured) and they are too well fed at home to ever be seeking what would be 'inferior' food from strangers. Cats looking for refuge and food probably are in need and certainly not all are opportunists taking advantage of humans' gullibility. I know some cats are known to relocate because they don't like living with other cats, a newly acquired dog or even children but these are as valid reasons as any to leave home.

Looking at rescue websites it is astonishing how many cats get left behind to fend for themselves when their owners move away. Cats who look like they were well loved and cared for suddenly find themselves alone. I think it is wonderful that there are kind people who look out for cats and care for those who appear to need a safe, warm place to sleep.

Well done OP. Your cat looks very cute and comfortable in her photo. If no owner comes forward I hope you enjoy your new life with her. From my perspective a house doesn't feel like home without a cat (or three!).
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    awww that's a lovely cat , looks similar to mine who is currently missing. You don't live anywhere near me do you :p
    it is lovely of you to take a cat in , it is hard to tell if a cat is a stray or just missing. i couldn't take in a stray cat now if i wanted , our cat Salem does not like other cats. He needs all the attention on himself.
    i just hope if she has an owner out there worried that they come forward. If you are keeping her till then enjoy every second.
    Cats are just amazing , ours is really fussy and always purring. i don't know what she is like but ours is a messy bugger - cat hairs everywhere and i am always hoovering up litter. But seeing his little happy face makes it all worth it. he is asleep on the sofa right now all cute , doesn't it just melt your heart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »

I know one of ours does. The wee lady across the road always leaves her dinner scraps out for him and it's got to the stage that he meows to get out at the same time every night as he knows his supper will be getting put out for him. He uses her back garden for sunbathing in the good weather as well as it catches the sun better than his own! I don't mind, he always comes back to us! I don't think he's let in his adopted granny's house and he likes his warmth and comfort too much to abandon us completely!

OP, I think it is lovely that you care enough to be bothered about this wee cat. She may be taking you for a ride, but lots of people would just ignore her. I agree with putting pics on local sites, Facebook, etc to try and find if she has an owner. It's amazing how far these things reach and someone might know something.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the more reason cats, especially those prone to acquiring 'new' families' should be kept contained.

Not to mention the heartbreak losing the cat must cause the real owners, but vet records will not be passed on etc.

Cats are expert in looking needy, it gets them what they want.

Any cat found loitering newar me will be swiftly scared off by my dog!
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    All the more reason cats, especially those prone to acquiring 'new' families' should be kept contained.
    But can you 'contain' a cat? If by contain you mean keeping them indoors I think that's unnatural and cruel and on a par with keeping small furry pets in cages.
    And that's coming from me who detests cats. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of our cats (Oreo) just turned up one day, he looked thin and manky. So we bundled him into a cat carrier, took him to the vets to see if he had a chip, he didn't so Oreo adopted us and stayed, best lap cat I've ever had. He's free to come and go when he pleases, but chooses to lounge in the garden getting some sun, or sleeping on the window sill, we think he was abandoned.
    He gets on very well with my own cat Ozzy (who is the queen of the house), she gave him a sniff, flicked the tail and he was welcome into the family. They have never fought each other, hissed or growled.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    My cat was a stray that decided it wanted to live with us, it just wouldn't go away and was very malnourished and ill looking.
    Me and the dog weren't to keen especially after it took a dump in the dogs bed >:( but the oh and the cat won eventually and seven years later, its still here fit and healthy.
    I must attract stray animals, years ago I became an owner of a budgie after hearing him tapping on my window in the middle of the night, and I don't even like the idea of caged birds, but I had to take him on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't want to be morbid by updating this thread with sad news but after being missing all through the night I found her dead by the side of the road this morning, hope she never suffered cant bare the thought of her lying there in pain before she died.

RIP skittles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My condolances Tackomacko - seems very random and cruel when she had found a nice home with someone to care for her.
    RIP.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about Skittles. It's a shame, just after she'd began her new life.:(

Still, if you enjoyed her brief stay with you, there are plenty of other cats at your local shelter who need a good home. But, if you are near a busy road and this accident is likely to happen again, maybe not.