Options

Are non-smokers just as selfish as smokers?

vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A couple of incidents have got me thinking about this.

I share a house with other students, only 1 of whom is a non-smoker. The rest of us always make sure we go outside to smoke. However, today we couldn't find a single lighter, so we lit our cigs on the gas hob and went outside straight away. Said non-smoker made a face and complained that there was now a smell in the kitchen. Also we aren't allowed to smoke in our rooms (with the window open), because apparenly a smell lingers in the house. Surely this is OTT, seeing as everyone already compromises by going outside, so no 2nd hand smoke is breathed in?

Also, a couple of times there have been people complaining about us smoking in the pub beer garden, because their kids were there. It's not like we stand directly beside them breathing smoke in their face, but inevitably they'll smell some of it. We've already been banished outside, can't we even smoke in peace there? What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously some are selfish, but others won't be. I'm an ex-smoker so have a bit more sympathy for smokers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it up a while and find out? You aren't a different species.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those incidents seem a bit extreme. But I always put it this way:

By smoking, you inflict smoke on others. You can't help it, it's the nature of the activity. Therefore your actions affect others, who have no choice over it. It's up to the person doing the activity to do their best to control it and minimise it's affect on people near them. If that means not having a **** for a little while, then so be it.

Non-smokers don't affect others, so have no actions to control.

Incidentally, the same is true for music, barbecues and public masturbation.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That isn't OTT at all. If you want to screw your own lungs up, great. If you don't mind your clothes and hair stinking, great!

Don't expect the rest of us not to mind, though!

And for someone who hates it when people won't sit next to the window on a bus just so you can be comfortable with your bags, I'm surprised you have asked such a question.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    its only when you havnt smoked for a day or 2 that you realise how bad the smell actually is!
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Tell her to jog on when she complains. I'm sure she'll change her tune when faced with majority vote and rebellion.....unless of course her parents/relatives are the landlords or it contravenes the tenancy agreement.

The truth of the matter is that us smokers are modern pariahs and we can never be in the right.
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    its only when you havnt smoked for a day or 2 that you realise how bad the smell actually is!
    If I haven't smoked for a day or two I realise how wonderfully intoxicating the smell is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have told the parents that you were outside and thus, allowed to smoke there and that perhaps they should take their children inside where it was all no-smoking if it was such a big problem.

I am a parent and an ex-smoker by the way. We take our son to the pub in the summertime for an hour or two in the afternoon in the beer garden. He reads his beano and plays with the other children on the climbing frame. Some people at other tables smoke. It really isn't a big deal. The breeze wafts it away. No harm done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP you obviously have no idea how vile the smell is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't OTT at all. If you want to screw your own lungs up, great. If you don't mind your clothes and hair stinking, great!

Don't expect the rest of us not to mind, though!

And for someone who hates it when people won't sit next to the window on a bus just so you can be comfortable with your bags, I'm surprised you have asked such a question.

:)

Why bring the other thread into this, it's a completely different topic :confused: Also, as I already said I smoke in the place designated to smokers i.e. outside in the beer garden, so I don't see how that will screw up people's lungs or make their clothes smell, unless they stand very close to me.
  • Options
    Mr ReyMr Rey Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    Non-smokers don't affect others, so have no actions to control.

But they do with their attitudes. If you get a reasonable person who is logical and knows the mere smell of a cigarette isn't going to instantly turn their body into a cancerous wreck you are OK the trouble is with people like the OP mentioned in the beer garden.

There are far too many non-smokers that act as if being exposed to a cigrette is the same as being exposed to asbestos but I blame that mainly on the scare ads by the government.

Non-smokers, in general, just need to gain a bit of perspective and I don't agree that a smoker should just bow to unreasonable demands or bend over backwards because a non-smoker is hysterically exagerating just how much 'danger' you're putting them in.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I am a relatively light smoker and I even recoil when a heavy smoker comes near me, but the OP's point is that in her case with the student house, the minority shouts the loudest. As for the beer garden, that is the one of the only recognisable locations on pub premises allowed by law and it is not fair to be driven away from here even if it does result in smoky smells.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Rey wrote: »
    But they do with their attitudes. If you get a reasonable person who is logical and knows the mere smell of a cigarette isn't going to instantly turn their body into a cancerous wreck you are OK the trouble is with people like the OP mentioned in the beer garden.

There are far too many non-smokers that act as if being exposed to a cigrette is the same as being exposed to asbestos but I blame that mainly on the scare ads by the government.

Non-smokers, in general, just need to gain a bit of perspective and I don't agree that a smoker should just bow to unreasonable demands or bend over backwards because a non-smoker is hysterically exagerating just how much 'danger' you're putting them in.

It has nothing to do with danger and everything to do with smell and the generally unpleasant fug.

Would you mind if my friends and I violently fart around your table? There's no danger from it....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Mmmm, a tricky one. I find the smell of smoking horrible, and feel annoyed whenever I smell it, even if I am outside. However, let's say you hated the smell of fish, but your non-smoking housemate cooked it. I suppose you wouldn't really be able to complain about the smell of that, would you? But I suppose the big difference between these two is the matter of health. Passive smoking isn't just the matter of an annoying smell, it is also a risk for those exposed to it. Even if it is outdoors (although I guess the risk outside is reduced).
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Rey wrote: »

When smoking was allowed in pubs how many smokers would ask non smokers if they minded if the smoker 'lit up'?

In my experience of nearly 30 years - with friends, accquaintances or passing strangers -

None.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Tell her to jog on when she complains. I'm sure she'll change her tune when faced with majority vote and rebellion.....unless of course her parents/relatives are the landlords or it contravenes the tenancy agreement.

The truth of the matter is that us smokers are modern pariahs and we can never be in the right.

No, her parents aren't the landlords, and there's nothing in the tenancy agreement saying we can't smoke. As I said we already compromise by smoking outside, but not being allowed to light a cig on the hob?
    I already did tell her to get over it, maybe that was a bit harsh, but I don't usually mince my words. I don't see why a whole household should have to tip toe around 1 person.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an ex-smoker I now dislike the smell. That is why I stay inside the pub. I wouldn't dream of going into a designated smoking area and complaining that I could smell smoke, i'd feel (and look) a right tit!
    As for the OP, the room that you occupy in the house is classed as your home so you are perfectly at liberty to smoke in there, and I would. Fair enough, communal areas should be smoke free but it seems to me you are bending over backwards to accommodate one anti-smoker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should also mention that we're all relatively light smokers. Sometimes I go through phases when I don't smoke at all. But even then I don't find the smell that bad. Tbh BO smells much worse, but I'd be called a b*tch if I told someone to not sit near me because they smell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    A couple of incidents have got me thinking about this.

I share a house with other students, only 1 of whom is a non-smoker. The rest of us always make sure we go outside to smoke. However, today we couldn't find a single lighter, so we lit our cigs on the gas hob and went outside straight away. Said non-smoker made a face and complained that there was now a smell in the kitchen. Also we aren't allowed to smoke in our rooms (with the window open), because apparenly a smell lingers in the house. Surely this is OTT, seeing as everyone already compromises by going outside, so no 2nd hand smoke is breathed in?

Also, a couple of times there have been people complaining about us smoking in the pub beer garden, because their kids were there. It's not like we stand directly beside them breathing smoke in their face, but inevitably they'll smell some of it. We've already been banished outside, can't we even smoke in peace there? What does everyone else think?

The smell of cigarette smoke does indeed linger and makes the whole house pong a bit even if only smoking in designated rooms so I can understand this bit.

However, if you lit your cigarettes in the kitchen and immediately went outside then your non-smoking friend should keep their opinions to themselves. The smell could only have been around momentarily. After all if you are all sharing I'm sure there are things they do that irritate everyone else.

As for smoking in pub gardens - you just carry on. Smoking is allowed there so if people are concerned about their children then they should keep them inside (or preferably away from pub premises - but that's a different subject altogether).
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I don't allow smoking in the house or leaning out of a window as it leaves a disgusting smell behind and also turns wallpaper and ceilings yellow.

Right at the back of the garden if you want to smoke chez moi and also take your nasty **** ends home with you.
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a smoker and never smoke in the presence of a non smoker, and always smoke outside, even when at home.

I know that the smell of smoke can be unpleasant, however I get very irritated when it is pointed out......it is just a smell fgs.

I seriously do not like the smell of some perfumes or after shaves, one perfume, think its called Kendo or something, actually makes me queasy, but I would not ever say so.

As to the selfishness of non smokers, yes some can be ridiculously ott.

I worked a few years ago in an office, and was told that after coming back from a **** break the girls in the office did not like the smell, so could I not smoke until after work :eek:
    This comment coming from girls that constantly stank out the office with smelly crisps, egg sandwiches, burgers at lunchtime, and sick inducing cup a soups. Oh and their stinky perfumes.

Needless to say I ingnored the request :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some non-smokers are as selfish as smokers, some aren't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dwalks wrote: »
    The smell of cigarette smoke does indeed linger and makes the whole house pong a bit even if only smoking in designated rooms so I can understand this bit.
    However, if you lit your cigarettes in the kitchen and immediately went outside then your non-smoking friend should keep their opinions to themselves. The smell could only have been around momentarily. After all if you are all sharing I'm sure there are things they do that irritate everyone else.

As for smoking in pub gardens - you just carry on. Smoking is allowed there so if people are concerned about their children then they should keep them inside (or preferably away from pub premises - but that's a different subject altogether).

Yeah, I sympathise with the first bit, so after she complained about it I didn't smoke in my room anymore.

And yes, I did carry on smoking in the pub garden. Unfortunately I was too taken aback by the rudness of the woman (she practically yelled at me) to be able to think of a suitable comeback. :o:D
  • Options
    The TornadoThe Tornado Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    just stop smoking and grow up ffs
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a non-Smoker I wouldnt share a flat with smokers, because I think it would be a bit unfair to make them go outside to smoke.