Rihanna apparently offered £5m to switch on some Christmas lights

MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
Forum Member
Apparently Rihanna has been offered £5m to switch on the Christmas lights at the Westfield shopping centre in Stratford - where most shop assistants earn less than £18,000 a year. Newham is also one of the poorest places in the country.

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/celebrity/538911/rihanna-s-5m-gig-to-turn-on-christmas-lights-in-london.html#index=1

£5m to push a switch - nice work if you can get it!:eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable.
    I'd do it ffs, I don't live that far away. Stick in a free Nando's & I'm happy. :D
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable!! I bet there would be local celebs who might be a bit cheaper.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Wow... are you sure it's £5 million? Maybe it was some number error?
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Jesus...
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to not realise, Westfield are doing this as a commercial investment and must envisage that she'll bring in £5 Million worth of publicity, thus she is worth that cost.
    Unbelievable!! I bet there would be local celebs who might be a bit cheaper.
    Who wouldn't bring in £5 million worth of publicity. :rolleyes:

I bet you lot wouldn't be bothered if they'd spent that money on a TV advertising campaign.
  • freaky_fridayfreaky_friday Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    My local town council has done away with the celebrity switch-on this year. I think last year was some X-Factor-reject whom I'd never heard of! Much rather have someone local (even if it's the mayor!) than a Z-list nobody.
  • Mick_SwaggerMick_Swagger Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Jesus...

He'd do it for half price...
  • angelic_mishaangelic_misha Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Throw in a croissant and a cheap bottle of vino, and Bob's your uncle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I heard £25mill on the radio today! :yawn:
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    ...£5m to push a switch - nice work if you can get it!:eek:
    Did you only read part of it? She'll be performing as well and as with any celeb, market forces dictate her price. Whether you agree or not, of course she's worth it otherwise they wouldn't be so keen to have her...
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Jesus...

He said hed do it for free :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'll do it for a fiver.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    People seem to not realise, Westfield are doing this as a commercial investment and must envisage that she'll bring in £5 Million worth of publicity, thus she is worth that cost.

Who wouldn't bring in £5 million worth of publicity. :rolleyes:

I bet you lot wouldn't be bothered if they'd spent that money on a TV advertising campaign.

Does Westfield in Stratford actually need an advertising campaign - its jam packed all the time with the 'Im always window shopping but never stopping to buy types?

I expect the sort of people who just decide to go to a shopping centre because Rihanna is switching on the Xmas lights for one evening probably don't have a lot of cash to spend anyway.

It is still an obscene amount of money - even if she is going to sing a song as well as push a button?!
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    I wonder if she will pay tax on it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Westfield in Stratford actually need an advertising campaign - its jam packed all the time with the 'Im always window shopping but never stopping to buy types?...
    Erm, what product or service doesn't need publicity? Clearly you know very little about marketing, advertising or publicity...
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Erm, what product or service doesn't need publicity? Clearly you know very little about marketing, advertising or publicity...

You really are very sharp with your barbs.

You would have to live in a cave to not be aware that Westfield has a big new shopping centre in Stratford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...You would have to live in a cave to not be aware that Westfield has a big new shopping centre in Stratford.
    I rest my case.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    He said hed do it for free :D

:p:p Good to know.
    Forum Member

You would have to live in a cave to not be aware that Westfield has a big new shopping centre in Stratford.
    I've never heard of it - I don't live in a cave.
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    I rest my case.

Given the sort of people Rihanna attracts I hope they have good security on that night - as the only stock they shift will be nicked.

Its hardly going to attract the John Lewis crowd!

It is a rather sad society we live in that would pay anyone that much for doing so little - especially in one of the poorest places in England where the majority of children live below the poverty line.

One might suggest Westfield might had got a lot more - and better publicity - from giving £5m to local charities for the children, elderly and disabled for them to have a nicer Christmas. Now that would appeal to the John Lewis crowd with the cash.
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »
    I've never heard of it - I don't live in a cave.

Do you live in east London - i.e. the area from which visitors to the centre will come?
  • Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capitalism at its insanest and most superficial.
    Forum Member
    Do you live in east London - i.e. the area from which visitors to the centre will come?
    No, but you didn't mention East London ..you said "You would have to live in a cave to not be aware that Westfield has a big new shopping centre in Stratford."
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time I'd scrolled down the page I'd forgotton the name of the place she's been asked to switch them on. :o