The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Parks & Rec and Happy Endings both have excellent writing and neither of those is even close to a big hit though.

Good point. I'm not familiar with these two progs you mention so I'm wondering whether this is the problem. Lack of publicity. TBBT seems to have benefited from blanket repeats on E4.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Nothing at all to do with the fact that the equivalent episode last year was the funeral of a major character. :sleep:

Nor the fact that said episode overlapped with Corrie, thus denting Corrie's figure. :yawn:
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The spin around 'great night out' is reaching levels of hilarity at this stage.

We must leave Roscoe alone he is still burnt from his prediction that Downton would beat EE on Christmas Day.:D
    jake lyle wrote: »
    I'm surprised Roscoe didn't mention that.;)
    Why is Roscoe always so desperate to spin the figures?
    dan2008 wrote: »
    It's an ITV/Corrie/Emmerdale fanbase thing:rolleyes:

Jeez, its just abit of banter on the Ratings Thread. I did realise all the variables of the same episodes last year - but where's the fun it that?! :p:D

And spinning the figures? Isn't that what 95% of posters do on here?! ;)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What ratings could it get on C4? If it gets the same or just slightly more then there's no point. Only if they know it'll benefit the show - e.g Miranda's move from BBC2 to BBC1.

The Inbetweeners got 3m on E4 (4m inc +1) but they didn't bother moving that to C4.

I assume on E4 they get more ads in, as there's no limit on the internal break length.

They could have two internal breaks and still fit in a 30 minute slot.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Why don't they just report the BBC Two figures combined with the HD figures rather than separately?

BBC HD does not simulcast everything on BBC Two, is therefore not automatically bundled in, and so a bit of manual intervention is needed.

Some time this year, BBC Two HD will be born, and solve this fiddly business.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Splash tonight, I believe it could grow slightly on last week's figure. Can't see it falling below 5m however.

Yes, I agree. I think we'll see Splash increase on last weeks figure.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with all the adverse publicity Splash will be down tonight although there might be new viewers tuning in out of curiosity.I suspect we will be watching Merlin on BBC3 as we missed the early episodes.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I'll round up Channels 4 & 5 and a selection of the multis in a while. Need some tobacco.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silent Witness saw something of a dip between the Thursday and Friday episodes but timeshift viewing will presumably make up that gap. Great Night Out rated about where everyone expected it to but arguably should have pulled in a better figure than that considering how the comedies and Lewis compliment each other on Monday nights. Celebrity Big Brother is steady but didn't see much of an improvement on the highlight shows considering there was an eviction and a return. The soaps all performed decently.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope ITV ratings fall hard tonight, That splash program is the worst thing I have seen on TV :)
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    This has got to be the first normal week for a very long time that EE has been over 8m for every episode. I would really love it to keep strong or improve more. There seems to be a lot less of the dull young characters on at the moment. Dot back on Monday so it's got plenty going for it EE.

I haven't watched it so regularly for some time now. 8m people tuning into a soap these days if really good.

Ken

I thought EastEnders was unwatchable last year, so many botched moments like Sharon's big return that was a damp squib.

But since the reveal of Kat's lover I've tuned in and liked what I've seen. It actually made me laugh on Friday with Masood's reaction when he realised who was stroking his leg, and Tamwar's look of confusion in the cafe. EastEnders made me laugh? When did this happen?

A regular week and all of the episodes above 8m is a good sign.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I thought EastEnders was unwatchable last year, so many botched moments like Sharon's big return that was a damp squib.

But since the reveal of Kat's lover I've tuned in and liked what I've seen. It actually made me laugh on Friday with Masood's reaction when he realised who was stroking his leg, and Tamwar's look of confusion in the cafe. EastEnders made me laugh? When did this happen?

I agree with all of this :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope ITV ratings fall hard tonight, That splash program is the worst thing I have seen on TV :)

One man's meat is another man's poison. I had expected the rating to drop after seeing a few clips of show one. But people are talking so I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings went up out of curiosity.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One man's meat is another man's poison. I had expected the rating to drop after seeing a few clips of show one. But people are talking so I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings went up out of curiosity.

Why are people so shadow to watch rubbish because Tom Daily is on it? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so shadow to watch rubbish because Tom Daily is on it? :(

Well many young people are, put somebody they think is good looking on TV and they'll follow. But I think most people that watch tonight are doing so because they like seeing people be crap at diving and/or watch car crash TV. There are also people that think it's a bit of fun and watch it because they enjoy it.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. And if EE is weak it damages BBC One's schedule so it need's to be strong.

Ken
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess thats the art of soap, when there isnt anything big going on fill bits of it with humour. Thats what Coronation Street has been good at over the years. The problem with Walford is that it can be pretty drab when its just hopping from misery to misery. I agree re last nights episode, well thought out and yes, funny!
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as dreadful as "Who Shagged Kat?" was the aftermath has been really good for the show, and not just the fall out of the reveal, Kat forced out of the Vic, and Alife moving on with Roxy, are both good storyline, worth exploring, and are being done well.

There is certainly reason for hope where EastEnders is concerned.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If there is any justice Splash would splash, but people do get drawn to the prospect of car crash tv especially if there are attractive women in swimwear around.
    Splash will have lost viewers from last week but notoriety will see some new ones and I think it will at least retain its audience figure.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    as dreadful as "Who Shagged Kat?" was the aftermath has been really good for the show, and not just the fall out of the reveal, Kat forced out of the Vic, and Alife moving on with Roxy, are both good storyline, worth exploring, and are being done well.

There is certainly reason for hope where EastEnders is concerned.

I think it's improved Kat as well. LN has now managed to rescue her character from the total decline it was in last year. The show has improved but it need's to keep doing that it still has allot of dead wood needing trimming back.

May I say the actor who plays Joey is awful. Can't believe he has not been axed. Anyway back to ratings this if Female soap talk!:o

Ken
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Bad start for Itvs big new much promoted comedy, only 3.4million! Itv were hoping for 4.5million+ due to the Coro St lead in. Looks like the terrible reviews from the critics put viewers off from watching it.

I think it's a more a case of ITV's brand being tarnished for new and innovative drama, comedy drama and comedy. Singing dog contests and celebrity eating of animal genitals, fine. Soaps ok. But the drama department has a mountain to climb to restore credibility, other than for the cosy crime procedural demographic who remain onside.

Young upwardly mobile metropolitan types just wouldn't touch ITV with a bargepole. It's a channel their parents watch, they themselves only watch TXF and such like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I guess thats the art of soap, when there isnt anything big going on fill bits of it with humour. Thats what Coronation Street has been good at over the years. The problem with Walford is that it can be pretty drab when its just hopping from misery to misery. I agree re last nights episode, well thought out and yes, funny!

The key to Corrie's success is that it's always been adept at mixing humour and tragedy and young characters with old ones. EastEnders has had misery piled on top of misery with no humour to lighten it. It's also in the past put so much focus on young characters that the older ones have been sidelined. I've only really been watching properly again for the last 3/4 weeks, but there does seem to be more chances for all generations to get a moment in the spotlight and a bit more humour that actually is funny. It feels like they're turning a corner more so than at any point last year with the writing and plotting.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, where's this notion coming from that Good Night Out was pitched at a young demographic? I didn't see anything on the trailer saying "if you're young, hip and upwardly mobile, make sure you watch ITV on Friday", they just trailed what looked like a very dull run of the mill yet another Cold Feet wanabee.

I don't know why they don't just bring back Cold Feet...

As for it's success with the target demographic, it looks like CBB took the bulk of that crowd (which makes me worry about the future!), and Silent Witnesses and Out were fighting over scraps - and it was fairly even between those two shows.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    Didn't take long for CBBC to return to BBC1 did it? Yep, I'm referring to the god awful clip show Animal Antics. Ghastly show, even for Saturday teatime standards. That'll teach me for leaving the Youview on BBC1 after Final Score. Bring back Celebrity Pointless.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without giving it much thought, probably Gavin and Stacey. 10m.

Gavin and Stacey started out on BBC3 though and took time to break out as a big hit and reach that 10m figure. Who knew Gavin and Stacey would turn into such a big hit when it first started? Great Night Out could break out into a big hit, in the same vein as Benidorm. We can't write it off yet, based on one rating.
    AlexiR wrote: »
    True although I can't help but notice that there hasn't been a great rush to compare Great Night Out with Benidorm. A one hour comedy that aired on ITV in the same Friday 9PM slot as Great Night Out during Q1 in 2012 and 2011 (albeit starting a month later). Surely that would be the more suitable comparison.

Or surely the best thing is to compare Great Night Out's first rating, with Benidorm's first overnight rating? So we can see if the viewers were as interested in sampling this new comedy drama, just like they were interested in first watching Benidorm.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    The key to Corrie's success is that it's always been adept at mixing humour and tragedy and young characters with old ones. EastEnders has had misery piled on top of misery with no humour to lighten it. It's also in the past put so much focus on young characters that the older ones have been sidelined. I've only really been watching properly again for the last 3/4 weeks, but there does seem to be more chances for all generations to get a moment in the spotlight and a bit more humour that actually is funny. It feels like they're turning a corner more so than at any point last year with the writing and plotting.
    Dot is back Monday.....Cora has some storylines coming up and Lorraine Newman has stated that Patrick will have a biggie in the next couple of months Plus Sharon,Phil,Max, ect getting some decent screen time too.
This discussion has been closed.