Options

Fridge problem

Angela RAngela R Posts: 207
Forum Member
I've got a problem on the interior of my fridge door. There are 2 little plastic notches which hold the tray in place on the inside of the door. One of the notches has snapped off so the tray won't sit on the door anymore. I've got nowhere to put the milk!
Does any one know what I can do? The manufacturers do not have a spare part for it and I don't want to buy a new fridge. Is there anything I can use as a repair that will set as firmly as the previous plastic catch? Any ideas gratefully received!

Comments

• Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a jug and put the milk in that and then put it on one of the shelves. Measure the distance between the shelves before buying the jug .. :D

You could try one of the plastic cements they use for water pipes. It dissolves most plastics. Put some all along the edge of the tray where it touches the door and hold in place until set. It will melt the plastic so you only really get one go at it :o
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't visualise what you tried to describe. Please provide a link to a photo of the relevant area and of the broken part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont think I like the sound of the melting plastic - yikes!

I'll try and link a photo in the morning.

Thanks
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a Bostik superglue which was very good. A hinge on a downward-moving flap in our freezer snapped of, and I repaired it with the glue. The hinge is still holding - and working - a couple of years later.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela R wrote: »
    I've got a problem on the interior of my fridge door. There are 2 little plastic notches which hold the tray in place on the inside of the door. One of the notches has snapped off so the tray won't sit on the door anymore. I've got nowhere to put the milk!
    Does any one know what I can do? The manufacturers do not have a spare part for it and I don't want to buy a new fridge. Is there anything I can use as a repair that will set as firmly as the previous plastic catch? Any ideas gratefully received!

Hi,

Might be able to use a small bracket, post photos of the tray, notch, and where tray sits in fridge door.

If your fridge is less the 10 years old they tend to carry spares unless they have run out.

Meanwhile, make space, store milk on fridge shelf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,

The manufacturers don't have a replacement so I've got to try and repair it or otherwise buy a new fridge which I don't want to do. I don't think a bracket would work because the door frame is plastic.

I have taken photos but I don't know how to post them here. Can someone help please?
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I always repair these things with superglue, I just buy the cheap stuff from the pound shop ~ works fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got nothing to glue on though. The plastic 'notch' type thing has just gradually worn away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

The manufacturers don't have a replacement so I've got to try and repair it or otherwise buy a new fridge which I don't want to do. I don't think a bracket would work because the door frame is plastic.

I have taken photos but I don't know how to post them here. Can someone help please?
    Hi Angela,

Let us all take a look.

First, upload your photos to your PC, then sign up to this.

I use this service but there are many more image hosting programmes, some simpler to use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://s27.photobucket.com/user/sawdox/library/

hopefully, here are some photos.
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only way I can think of would be to put the tray in place and screw a couple of self tapping screws through the tray and into the side wall plastic at the damaged side. Doubt if there would be anything you could damage behind the plastic but make sure the screws are only just long enough and no more.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about this:

sugru is the new self-setting rubber for fixing, modifying and making stuff.

Through wear and tear, fridge parts including shelves and drawers inevitably break and crack. sugru can repair these for a simple and effective fix!

Unlike superglue and other glues on the market, sugru cures to a flexible rubber so doesn't become brittle and snap.

sugru is also good for fixing your fridge because:

- it is cold proof (resistant to -60 degree celsius)
    - sticks really well to the plastics used in the fridge
    - strong and durable

http://sugru.com/about
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fainéant wrote: »
    Only way I can think of would be to put the tray in place and screw a couple of self tapping screws through the tray and into the side wall plastic at the damaged side. Doubt if there would be anything you could damage behind the plastic but make sure the screws are only just long enough and no more.
    Great way of doing it.

Angela should use a couple of these in stainless steel, making sure the screw heads fit slide and slot on the tray and a tight fit.

I am wondering if a product called Sugru might do the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks for the tips - now I don't know which one to go with!!

What is a self-tapping screw and will the plastic in the door hold it? The side bit of the door is only thin and feels a bit flimsy.

If I go the other way, can I get sugru from b and q etc. and will it just go on with a glue gun?

thank you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ....and I wonder if I should try sugru first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and I wonder if I should try sugru first?
    I have used Sugru four times, twice the repairs failed soon afterwards, the other two are still going strong a couple of years on.

Sugru is available via Amazon.

I think Faineate suggestion is great, you could modifi it by drilling through plastic and fridge door and use a couple of pan head bolts with nuts instead, it might look a little unsightly but not that bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wilkinsons and B &Q sell Sugru.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    fainéant wrote: »

That's what I would have suggested with the screws being at the top and the bottom of where the plastic ridge used to be.