Options

Corrie 20/6/11: Love Wars

Comments

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kerry1681 wrote: »
    Oh you can keep your Fountains and your Thomas's kids.
    Peter, Karl and when he is allowed to make his annual 1 scene appreance every month, Dr fit Carter are all much more easy on the eye imo. :D Do like Dectective Redfern

'Evil Alan Shearer' (as he is called on here) isn't bad either imo.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvia should be funny tonight! I love her!
    She wasn't funny:)
    Hi! :)

Yes. I'm waiting to see the first scene between Stella and Leanne too. Still can't believe Stella "did the deed" with Les Battersby though......
    I think we will eventually find out that Stella used to be deaf and blind:eek:
    Sylar11 wrote: »
    Sylvia has been around for about a month or two, and has Becky down to a tee. What a woman.
    She doesn't really know her
    Theres nothing that Curly Simon isnt good at!
    apart from modesty
    mrbernay wrote: »
    A nurse who cancels a shift????
    Disgusting:mad:
    God, Tracy is a tw*t!

Fancy being that nasty just for the sake of it.
    She's just totally one dimensional
    ofni wrote: »
    Why do they think that giving blasted Tracyluv the payoff line is compulsory.

It's not as if Ford is remotely capable of carrying it off.

Ludicrous.
    Agreed
    Letting the side down once again was ~ yes, you've guessed it ~ Ms. A. Cotton. The scene outside Underworld when he found out that Dylan was ill and that Marcus had taken him to the health centre was chronic beyond belief. Curly Simon delivers his lines with more naturalness than Ms. Cotton.
    I normally defend Sean but I have to concede
    Where is John Stape? I demand he be brought back, just to deal with Becky!
    How can you say that when Tracy Barlow is living and breathing?
    Is Dylan already calling Stereotype "Daddy" - that is ridiculous as he would have been calling Jamie Baldwin Daddy for the last few years....
    That kid is very good to be able to follow the script;)
    I'm sensing a bit of a ding dong when Skank finds out about Tracey spiling the beans on Hayley.
    Skank?????
    That's THE best moment this year in Corrie I think personally
    IT#'s right up there
    At last a good scene with Becky!!!
    We saw about 4 different Beckys last night
    BigDuck wrote: »
    What the heck is Marcus apologising for!?
    Kidnap !!!!!
    Indeg wrote: »
    I think because she feels secure with them in a way that she never has with Steve, and the fact that she trusts them so completely and feels so secure in their affections allows her to look beyond herself and consider their interests and feelings too. With Steve, she's just got herself into this destructive downward spiral where her insecurity constantly drives a wedge between them.
    Very good post
    That's what we like from Roy, he's got a foot and is willing to put it down forcefully when pushed, he always does it so well too.
    He needs to put his foot down and ban Tracy Barlow permanently:mad:
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Because she's calmer, they have a great effect on her whereas Steve just winds her up, he doesn't mean to, but he does. And vice versa of course.

Of course she's loves Roy and Hayley but isn't IN LOVE with them so it's easier for her. There's none of the heightened emotions just calmness. IMO she just can't handle some of the more negative emotions that can go hand in hand within a relationship such as jealousy and insecurity, in fact instead of putting them to the back of her head she obsesses on them. She's (obviously) got the sex part sorted but the emotional rollercoaster? No, it brings out the worst in her and drags out her inner demons e.g. her lack of self-esteem and self worth so she creates problems to feed her own neurosis so she then can be proved right - 'see? I'm not good enough to love! No one stays with me!' And on and on and on it goes. She's a damaged character and I've almost talked myself into feeling sorry for her! :o
    I agree with all that apart from the last few words:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall tonight's episode was really good.

The Roy, Hayley and Sylvia scenes made both the episodes, just brilliant, all three are great actors. Also, for once I didn't mind the stuff with Becky and Steve, mixed in with Stella and Karl who i'm really enjoying, lots of hints with her and Leanne can't wait for all that to come out.

Sally annoys me more every episode, I'd bloody axe her, such a stale character. The Sean and Marcus stuff doesn't excite me much either, I'm not convinced by them as a couple. Besides those things really loved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Air conditioning :)

Extractor...? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not writing much just wanted to say...

I loved the Carla/Peter/Leanne scenes, can't wait to see this storyline with Frank etc.

I like Stella

Roy went up in my estimation. He doesn't usually do or say anything, was very impressed

Sean ruined it for me.

9.5/10
  • Options
    IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Dont know if anyone has posted this already but
    why didnt Leanne reconise her mother???

Did a bit of checking and Leannes mother was married to Les she was called Davina they were married from 1980/1990 . Leanne was born 2nd July 1981.

He then married Janice in 1994. Surly she would have known her straight away?
    Spoiler tags are a marvellous thing. ;)
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information from - if wikipedia, you might like to bear in mind that it can be edited by anyone and isn't actually gospel truth. I don't think Leanne's mother has ever been mentioned on-screen more than once or twice, way back when the Battersbys first arrived, and I'm pretty sure the circumstances of Les being left to raise Leanne have never been stated.
    kerry1681 wrote: »
    Oh you can keep your Fountains and your Thomas's kids.
    Peter, Karl and when he is allowed to make his annual 1 scene appreance every month, Dr fit Carter are all much more easy on the eye imo. :D Do like Dectective Redfern tho if he wants to keep popping in and out, arresting people, usually the wrong ones, and hassling everyone it's fine by me.
    Mmmmmmmm, totally agree, except maybe for Doctor Carter, who is a bit bland for my taste (also a bit young for me).
    lotty27 wrote:
    I completely agree. Sean just came across as stroppy and bloody pathetic tonight. And I have to agree with the critics of his acting - he's fine (IMO) when given more light hearted material and can be quite funny but struggles when given anything more demanding - and it shows. They should keep him as a more light hearted character as, unlike many others, I don't mind him at all.
    I usually don't mind Sean at all, and can understand where he is coming from in this storyline...but so far it really is highlighting his worst flaws, and isn't much fun to watch. He let the side down last night, surrounded by so many excellent performances.
    Er, no. Would have no right to tell Peter off under such circumstances as he's asking the questions in a public place.
    I was surprised to see that Peter and the detective had apparently never met before - I would have expected Peter to have been interviewed as part of the investigation into John, since he was John's most recent employer.
    Fantastic scene. Loved the way that Roy stood up to his mother and defended Hayley against his mother's bigotry. But most importantly it was totally believable - great acting and script = TV alchemy :)

I found it particularly touching/interesting when Sylvia was talking about Roy as a child and not getting any help for what was 'wrong' with him and it not being talked about in those days. She wasn't 'ashamed' but he was a 'disappointment'. Cruelly cutting and honest (too bloody honest) but fascinating to see, for a straight as a dye and quite unemotional woman like her, what it was like for her to have a 'different' son like Roy.
    Brilliant scene - and it was especially brilliant because there was no manufactured drama, it was a conflict that arose naturally out of the characters, their personalities and situation. Perfect.
    Actually showing us what we want to see in the aftermath of Leanne's affair eh? It would have been nice to see something similar straight after but I suppose, with the help of time, they've been able to calm down and see things more rationally - things aren't quite so raw now.
    I'm trying not to be resentful of not seeing that immediate aftermath, 'cause it's too late now and I grumbled about it at the time, so now I'm just going to make the most of having them back on-screen. :) Peter and Leanne do make quite a contrast to Steve and Becky - both couples have serious trust issues, but Peter and Leanne tend to bring out the best in each other, whereas Steve and Becky bring out the worst in each other.
    Of course she's loves Roy and Hayley but isn't IN LOVE with them so it's easier for her. There's none of the heightened emotions just calmness. IMO she just can't handle some of the more negative emotions that can go hand in hand within a relationship such as jealousy and insecurity, in fact instead of putting them to the back of her head she obsesses on them. She's (obviously) got the sex part sorted but the emotional rollercoaster? No, it brings out the worst in her and drags out her inner demons e.g. her lack of self-esteem and self worth so she creates problems to feed her own neurosis so she then can be proved right - 'see? I'm not good enough to love! No one stays with me!' And on and on and on it goes. She's a damaged character and I've almost talked myself into feeling sorry for her! :o
    :D Uh huh - great post. Intellectually, I understand exactly why Becky behaves the way she does and sympathise. But then she starts throwing another tantrum and all that sympathy goes out of the window because you can only make excuses for someone's bad behaviour for so long, she only gets to blame her behaviour on her background for so long. She is way past the point where she needs to take responsibility for her own mistakes, but she refuses to, she simply uses her mistakes as an excuse to make even more mistakes, and that's what I find so hard to watch.
    Isn't it just? Leanne is a very interesting character from this regard, almost finds it impossible to forgive what she dishes out herself!

But of course she's now running scared that Peter is quietly seething and will want a 'revenge' affair and that he'll choose Carla for it. She knows that Carla is a threat. Any woman who has admitted that they're in love with your hubby is, but when your hubby is good friends with that woman? DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sounds of sirens going off* :eek:
    The way the dynamic is set up between these characters is absolutely fascinating.
    For the Leanne/Stella scene....
    IIRC, when Stella met Ken and Deidre she already knew who Peter was as she'd seen newspapers articles about the tram crash (they might have mentioned the hospital wedding as well, not sure there) - besides, when Peter and Leanne walked in, she didn't introduce herself to them like she had with everyone else. Maybe Deidre and Ken had talked about her to Peter and Leanne or something.
    Well,
    we know that Ken and Deirdre talked to Stella about Peter and Leanne, because we saw that scene, and yes, we know that she'd read about the hospital wedding in the newspapers because she mentioned it the other day. But there is still a disconnect between her discussing that with Ken and Deirdre and then serving Peter and Leanne last night without us seeing the scene where she was either introduced to Leanne or otherwise realised who she was. Because we know that she knows a bit about Leanne - but we don't know how she knew what she looks like to know that was her at the bar last night. It was clearly the first time she'd actually spoken to her, so how did she recognise her? Had she seen a picture? Had she peered through the bookies window to get a peek? We don't know. Hence why some of us were left feeling as if we'd missed a scene.

It's gotta be said - Stella played it pretty cool. She got a bit misty when she actually interacted directly with Leanne, but other than that...Leanne and Peter were in the pub half the evening, and Stella was cool as a cucumber - I didn't clock her watching them even once.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love, love, love Sylvia :)
    Me too - I hope she's not a Blanche replacement.
    How is this Dylan kid not the least bit disconcerted at being surrounded by strangers?
    Sean's had access to him for quite a while and he knows Marcus very well. He's not really surrounded by strangers.
    Curly Simon! :D:D:D
    You know it, he shows it! (I still can't believe I set off that nickname and it's carried!)
    For the Leanne/Stella scene....
    IIRC, when Stella met Ken and Deidre she already knew who Peter was as she'd seen newspapers articles about the tram crash (they might have mentioned the hospital wedding as well, not sure there) - besides, when Peter and Leanne walked in, she didn't introduce herself to them like she had with everyone else. Maybe Deidre and Ken had talked about her to Peter and Leanne or something.
    Stella obviously knows who she is. I can see why they went for Michelle Collins - similar hair style and build to Lea.
    Oh Sally stop being so horrid.
    Where's your compassion?
    I like Sally, she's true to real life. Everyone's got a bitchy side!
    God, even Eileen and Maria think Sean is a joke. :mad:

And Becky, please, please crawl into a ditch and die. Please! :mad:
    I dislike how Corrie runs storylines at the moment - it focuses heavily on one story, drives us to despair, few weeks of light relief from it, then back to intensive. The above two are right classic examples (so they are!)
    Decent little hints between Stella and Leanne then.
    That was good. I asked Mumsie if she knew what the storyline was, or if she thought she knew. She's usually red hot on predicting stories - she couldn't guess and didn't pick up on it.
    whu13 wrote: »
    Yes I liked that little touch in the Peter/Simon scene too :)

I'm still trying to work out why they omitted
    Stella being introdcued to Leanne for the first time. Surely she couldn't just have recognised her without introduction after all theses years?! I was wondering for a moment whether I'd missed something while typing on here as it seemed so odd for her to say what she did, having not been formally introdcued.
    Maybe it's because she thinks they look alike - or she's seen pictures in the paper. We'll find out in time!
    Is Dylan already calling Stereotype "Daddy" - that is ridiculous as he would have been calling Jamie Baldwin Daddy for the last few years....
    As I said before, Sean's been in contact for months - Violet probably explained that he has 2 Daddies (he's too young for the blow of 'I shagged a gay man because I was desperate for a baby, then I ran off with my new beau, before chucking him when you were 2 or 3' Marcus has always been in Dylan's life.
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Why does Becky became 50% more bearable when she has scenes with Roy and Hayley?

Because she works with Roy and Hayley and knows she doesn't have to be hard woman with them. They know how vulnerable she is, and know that the hard woman act is just a cover because she's had such a hard time. You can see it with Becky, as soon as she talks to Royston and Hayls, she's softer than she is with other people.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, even Eileen and Maria think Sean is a joke. :mad:
    And Becky, please, please crawl into a ditch and die. Please! :mad:

Noticed their shared smirk - guess it was supposed to convey a "what is "sean" like?" when they were probably thinking "what an embarrassingly bad actor Cotton is". Considering that was supposed to be serious moment with sean sharing his concern about his son with his friends the other actors could only try and pass it off as a flippant moment down to his inability to convey any depth. Cotton must really know where the bodies are buried for them to keep renewing his contract :mad:
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Skank?????

I could think of worse names to call her, but that will do fine.:cool:
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two very decent eps last night as strong characters like Peter, Carla, Leanne, Roy, Hayley and Sylvia featured heavily. Plenty of great character-driven moments particularly in the excellenty written and acted scene between Roy, Hayley and Sylvia at the Cafe. There were also some great comedy lines courtesy of Slyvia who's easily been the best of PC's new additions to the Street.

Stella and Karl are settling in really well (would like to see a bit more of Eva as she was very underused last night). I would have liked if we had a scene where Stella saw Leanne for the first time. It could have had the potential to be an extremely powerful scene knowing what we knwo about the characters' secret connection. However, I did like Stella's cyrptic line "I've kept you waiting for too long."
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A nurse who cancels a shift????

At least teachers use a fancy word like 'stress' to justify their absences.;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    iceblue fiat 50iceblue fiat 50 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    What is Snakebite?:confused:

i thought a snakebite was whisky and lager in one pt glass?
  • Options
    iceblue fiat 50iceblue fiat 50 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Sylvia wrote: »
    'Evil Alan Shearer' (as he is called on here) isn't bad either imo.

which one is evil alan shearer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which one is evil alan shearer?

Frank ;)
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    What is Snakebite?:confused:

Isnt it half lager and half cider??

Lainey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all those who are using SPOILER tags! For those who aren't :mad: !!! (including you RK!)
    I'd been deliberately avoiding the Stella storyline in the papers and online - and didn't expect it to be openly discussed in these episode threads! Would be nice if big soap plots came as a surprise once in a while!
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,447
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all those who are using SPOILER tags! For those who aren't :mad: !!! (including you RK!)
    I'd been deliberately avoiding the Stella storyline in the papers and online - and didn't expect it to be openly discussed in these episode threads! Would be nice if big soap plots came as a surprise once in a while!

In an ideal world there'd be no spoilers at all and we'd all remain blissfully unaware of what is going to happen in our favourite shows.

However, I do think it's a little naive of you to expect to access an internet forum and remain unaware of things like this.

DS put stuff up as headlines, other posters post things without using spoiler tags. People talk in the street and on TV shows about upcoming storylines.

Perhaps we should all be more careful but human being aren't always careful (there'd be no accidental pregnancies if we were! ;););)).

It is, I think, practically impossible to isolate yourself from stuff like this and to expect everyone on a thread that runs to more than 350 posts to remember to use spoiler tags is, as I said, a little naive.

I apologise if my post spoilt the storyline for you but, in future, you might like to reflect that you access internet forums at your own risk, never completely certain what you might find posted there.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

You're wasting your time.
    Doesn't matter how many times you say you don't want to know about upcoming storylines, they'll keep discussing them.
    'Everyone' knows about them because they're 'everywhere' in the media apparently.
    They've managed to bollox a chunk of the Stella/Leanne storyline for me, all the 'clues' are going to show out now before the reveal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to use spoiler tags very carefully...but then I looked at the front pages of all next week's TV magazines this morning and wondered why I bothered. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Isnt it half lager and half cider??

Lainey

Never understood Snakebite, never did anything much for me.
    I could go from Cider, to Stout, to Lager, with trips up and down the optics without a problem though, had to stay off Wine though if mixing it up.
    A Red Witch used to make your legs pi$$ed and leave your brain mostly intact though.
    Red Witch, 1/2 Kronenburg (preferably) 1/2 Cider and Pernod and Black.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been trying to use spoiler tags very carefully...but then I looked at the front pages of all next week's TV magazines this morning and wondered why I bothered. :rolleyes:

Well you need to avoid those obviously.
    Can be hard work if you're standing distractedly in the queue and your eyes alight on the covers.

Found the cover of New Scientist quite interesting today, didn't even notice the soap gossip mags at all.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't matter how many times you say you don't want to know about upcoming storylines, they'll keep discussing them.
    'Everyone' knows about them because they're 'everywhere' in the media apparently.
    They've managed to bollox a chunk of the Stella/Leanne storyline for me, all the 'clues' are going to show out now before the reveal.

Sharon Marshall said straight out today on This Morning what the deal is with Stella which I thought was a bit much! If anyone didn't want to know then they were screwed and I really do wish that at times we weren't told all these bloody spoilers and some things were left as a surprise. The Stella storyline would have been a 'gasp out loud' moment otherwise but now it's going to be a *shrugs* 'meh' moment now.

Too right, the soap mags are the worst and I haven't got the willpower to keep my eyes away from them :o The TV Times can be just as bad though!
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,447
    Forum Member

I can agree with you upto a point but I do think it depends on what sort of programme you're talking about.

For example, I watch Dexter and True Blood both of which are shown here on FX. I know that they get minimal press coverage, that they have a smaller audience than the soaps and that they're unlikely to be discussed in any programme on TV that I watch.

However, if I go into any of the episode or general threads for either of the programmes on here I know that there's a risk I'll read something I don't want to see.

Therefore I never visit them because I don't want to know what's going happen and I don't want to run the risk that someone has posted something I don't want to see.

With regard to Corrie, Eastenders and, to a lesser extent, Emmerdale they have much larger audiences and more press coverage than programmes like Dexter and True Blood. Headlines about forthcoming storylines are splashed across all sorts of magazines and people discuss what they've read in public.

I do agree that we should all perhaps make more of an effort in using spoiler tags but, as I said, anyone who logs onto an episode threads runs the risk of reading a spoiler purely because one or more posters has forgotten to use a spoiler tag or because they're not bothered about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Sharon Marshall said straight out today on This Morning what the deal is with Stella which I thought was a bit much! If anyone didn't want to know then they were screwed and I really do wish that at times we weren't told all these bloody spoilers and some things were left as a surprise. The Stella storyline would have been a 'gasp out loud' moment otherwise but now it's going to be a *shrugs* 'meh' moment now.
    I don't mind soap spoilers - read and discuss 'em quite happily. But some of my other shows I am pretty rabidly anti-spoiler about, so I try to maintain a spoiler-tag policy when discussing spoilers here in the soap zone out of respect for those here who prefer to remain spoiler-free. But seriously, looking at the way spoilers are emblazoned across the front pages of magazines is pretty disappointing, even though I already knew the story!

I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out, regardless of already knowing the broad outline of the storyline - it's the fine detail that counts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I can agree with you upto a point but I do think it depends on what sort of programme you're talking about.

For example, I watch Dexter and True Blood both of which are shown here on FX. I know that they get minimal press coverage, that they have a smaller audience than the soaps and that they're unlikely to be discussed in any programme on TV that I watch.

However, if I go into any of the episode or general threads for either of the programmes on here I know that there's a risk I'll read something I don't want to see.

Therefore I never visit them because I don't want to know what's going happen and I don't want to run the risk that someone has posted something I don't want to see.

With regard to Corrie, Eastenders and, to a lesser extent, Emmerdale they have much larger audiences and more press coverage than programmes like Dexter and True Blood. Headlines about forthcoming storylines are splashed across all sorts of magazines and people discuss what they've read in public.

I do agree that we should all perhaps make more of an effort in using spoiler tags but, as I said, anyone who logs onto an episode threads runs the risk of reading a spoiler purely because one or more posters has forgotten to use a spoiler tag or because they're not bothered about them.

I know i've been a bit naive - I normally read everything and know what storylines are coming up but when I got wind of this big twist in Corrie i really wanted the element of surprise (for a change!) and so i have been very selective about what i've looked at on DS, avoided mags and papers - I just thought when reading reviews about the latest Corrie episode (ie. this thread) it might be safe not to hear about what's coming up in future eps (especially when spoiler tags are so easy to use!)

The real solution is for the programmes themselves to prevent leaks to the press... then we'd have less spoilers to discuss! But a bit of thought on these forums (which I enjoy!)wouldn't go amiss!