Another Yewtree arrest

Comments

• kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    All of them apparently at once after so long in silence is suspicious in my opinion.

We don't know that they haven't made complaints in the past and simply been ignored, ridiculed and/or threatened - as was the case with some of Savile's victims.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    fink wrote: »
    All of them apparently at once after so long in silence is suspicious in my opinion.

Isn't it possible a lot of them did report but it wasn't taken seriously or simply filed away with no proper investigation? I think a lot of people knew this and therefore didn't report. Times/attitudes have changed - the whole Savile affair has broken open a floodgate .................I'm sure most of the allegations are true it's simply the first time some have had the 'confidence' to report it.

All this talk of band wagon jumping is very insulting to those who have been genuinely traumatised for many years IMO.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    We don't know that they haven't made complaints in the past and simply been ignored, ridiculed and/or threatened - as was the case with some of Savile's victims.
    Isn't it possible a lot of them did report but it wasn't taken seriously or simply filed away with no proper investigation? I think a lot of people knew this and therefore didn't report. Times/attitudes have changed - the whole Savile affair has broken open a floodgate .................I'm sure most of the allegations are true it's simply the first time some have had the 'confidence' to report it.

All this talk of band wagon jumping is very insulting to those who have been genuinely traumatised for many years IMO.

This!

It may have only taken one case to be taken seriously to give the other courage to come forward, no doubt for the umpteenth time for many!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    It's Yewtree bingo time again!

@BBCBreaking A 72-year-old man is arrested in London on suspicion of sexual offences by officers investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal

If it's the name popping up on Twitter, it's the biggest one yet.

Shocked if true, but we need to hold back condemning a person until the full facts have been investigated.

No point prejudicing any future trial should any evidence recovered requires charges being laid.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Possibly, the floodgate effect is a double-edged sword though I think, and some of these people are thinking, "I'll have some of that thanks very much"

Too many alleged victims vs too many alleged offenders vs too long a duration in silence makes for something suspicious I think.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And your comment about 'compensation culture' is, IMO, offensive and belittles the experiences of the women, and men, who have been brave enough to come forward.

It doesn't, really, as I've said I have every empathy with the genuine trauma victims.

As for my mum's era, it was accepted behaviour. Not sexual assault but I don't think anyone would report someone smacking them on the bum forty years after it happened unless they wanted money and/or a bit of attention. It's awful women were allowed to be treated like they were back then but thank God we've moved on from the backwards views that allowed it to happen so openly.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    On the plus side, it seems to be putting an end to the seemingly-interminable stream of nostalgic list shows. Nobody wants to risk getting ANYONE on to talk about the 80s just in case they show up on the front of the Star the day before it goes to air.

I don't know. Radio 2 have recently been going completely overboard for both David Bowie and Rod Stewart lately, which (in the balance of probabilities) both seem like accidents wating to happen, in my opinion....

***not that any allegation has been made against either of them***

FWIW, I would be very surprised if it was Cliff. I think people just get excited that it might be the 'virtuous' one...
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It doesn't, really, as I've said I have every empathy with the genuine trauma victims.

As for my mum's era, it was accepted behaviour. Not sexual assault but I don't think anyone would report someone smacking them on the bum forty years after it happened unless they wanted money and/or a bit of attention. It's awful women were allowed to be treated like they were back then but thank God we've moved on from the backwards views that allowed it to happen so openly.

It was still like that in the 80s, especially in social situations, men groping you bum, boobs, making suggestive remarks,rubbing up against you squeezing past, its just something that , as women, we put up with. What men did back then would not be acceptable today. I am not sure that men should be prosecuted for it though, of course if there was a real sexual assault, rape for instance, thats different, but a quick goose should be dealt with there and then, and forgotten about or else we will have almost all men of a certain age arrested and questioned..
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It was still like that in the 80s, especially in social situations, men groping you bum, boobs, making suggestive remarks,rubbing up against you squeezing past, its just something that , as women, we put up with. What men did back then would not be acceptable today..

It wouldn't be acceptable in the workplace, or at a garden party, for sure. However, I'm 43 and went for a night out in Newcastle this weekend, and I found the, shall we say, general lack of respect for ladies' personal space that I witnessed, to be fairly shocking...
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a long investigation.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Oh please, please PLEASE let it be him!

I wouldn't wish that on anybody if they're innocent.

He's not the nice guy he touts himself to be, but not for that reason. I remember years ago, a mate of mine was a paper boy, and actually delivered papers in a very upmarket area. At Christmas he would knock on doors wishing the occupants "compliments of the season" in the hope of a Christmas tip. At one house, Cliff Richard himself apparently came to the door, and he told my mate to "f*** off" and that he was a disgrace for coming begging at his house.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? I don't think so.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Really? I don't think so.

These days people CAN and DO report groping and general sexual harassment - and rightly so. But forty years ago it was a different time. Was what went on back then acceptable? No bloody way. But you can't change history. You can only learn from it, and people have for the most part I think.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the glee with these cases? why would someone WISH it to be a certain person??

I agree, I find that quite creepy too. There are people I don't particularly like but I'd never want them to be (potentially?) guilty of criminal activity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame there wasn't a culture at that time where women realised - along with men - that 'perving' is not acceptable and can be a criminal offence.

So, was your mum sexually assaulted, groped, touched-up, raped? What did your mum think was acceptable and ok?

It's good that people are being held accountable for crimes whenever they were committed.

And your comment about 'compensation culture' is, IMO, offensive and belittles the experiences of the women, and men, who have been brave enough to come forward.

Different people handle things differently - I'd be quite embarrassed and flustered/uncomfortable if someone were to make unwanted advances or make crude comments, even if they were 'only', say, fairly brief gropes, while I know of people who would probably laugh such things off. Not everyone is the same.

I heard that only a small percentage of those who came forward with allegations of assaults by Savile have specifically chased financial compensation.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    I've heard rumours about him before. Might not be him though.

So have I...at the time I couldn`t believe it but now ummmmmmm!
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Yes, I heard that only a small percentage of those who came forward with allegations of assaults by Savile have specifically chased financial compensation.

Do you have a source for that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a source for that?

Not specifically no, sorry. I read it in the JS thread a while back - if I remember right, only one of the law firms representing his victims are specifically putting a claim against his estate - the name Liz Dux comes to mind? though having said that, it does seem strange if other law firms are involved and aren't chasing money somehow.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said it before - why do they only seem to be going after "easy targets" of elderly male celebs?

If you think they've missed someone out by all means tell the police.

I'm sure you're aware that plenty of non-celebs are prosecuted for historic cases of sexual abuse, just not under an "Operation" name.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they're a horrible piece of work. It's a deranged way of thinking.

True, but he does have an awful lot of fans.
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Not specifically no, sorry. I read it in the JS thread a while back - if I remember right, only one of the law firms representing his victims are specifically putting a claim against his estate - the name Liz Dux comes to mind? though having said that, it does seem strange if other law firms are involved and aren't chasing money somehow.

Indeed, it's difficult to think of any reasons why alleged victims would employ law firms unless they intend to claim compensation.
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was still like that in the 80s, especially in social situations, men groping you bum, boobs, making suggestive remarks,rubbing up against you squeezing past, its just something that , as women, we put up with. What men did back then would not be acceptable today. I am not sure that men should be prosecuted for it though, of course if there was a real sexual assault, rape for instance, thats different, but a quick goose should be dealt with there and then, and forgotten about or else we will have almost all men of a certain age arrested and questioned..

People also forget that women are more than capable of being the groper
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ‎83% of teenage girls keep a diary......

Which is very bad news for '70's entertainers.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    What I find odd is that it's only those in/ connected with show biz etc that are being hauled in, did nobody else mess with people in the 70s?
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed he has never been mentioned before to be honest.

He has been, under his Elm Guest House pseudonym
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find odd is that it's only those in/ connected with show biz etc that are being hauled in, did nobody else mess with people in the 70s?

"Ordinary" people are arrested (and convicted) every week for historic sex abuse, they just don't get the same amount of publicity.