technical help with uninstalling a tool bar

hi everyone.

i need help with uninstalling a toolbar from my windows 7 computer.

when i attempt to uninstall it, it starts the process and reaches 24 percent before freezing, and the programme becomes un responsive- and the only way i can do anything is go in task manager, and end the programme that way.

then i try again and get the same thing- get to 24 and it stops

frustrating me... anyone know what i can do about it?

thanks!

Comments

• MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which toolbar is it?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi Emily, If you're using Internet Explorer as a browser, click Tools then from the drop down command menu click Manage add-ons. The Manage Add-Ons Window will open. The top half of the screen is split into 2 panels of which the left panel is a list of add-on types. The right panel which will display the top type by default is Toolbars and Extensions. Click on the toolbar you want to remove in this right panel, and in the bottom half of the screen the toolbar will appear.

Locate the Disable button at bottom right and click it.

Let me know if you are successful.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look here
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/browser-toolbar-removal/

The site also contains specific guides to removing all manner of nasties - always a good place to check
  • emily67emily67 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    hi everyone. thanks for all your responses

Migster, the toolbar is called salter, something like that. i've no idea how i even got it- probably came from 1 of those pop up ads you get that sometimes force you to install things

evil c, i'm using firefox. but thanks for the info

and the site, very helpful since i suck at techy stuff
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emily67 wrote: »
    hi everyone. thanks for all your responses

Migster, the toolbar is called salter, something like that. i've no idea how i even got it- probably came from 1 of those pop up ads you get that sometimes force you to install things

evil c, i'm using firefox. but thanks for the info

and the site, very helpful since i suck at techy stuff
    Can't find anything relating to "salter" so need to know what it is actually called.

The most likely source is something you have downloaded that includes this toolbar as part of the bundle. There will be an option somewhere not to install it but far too many people just blindly click Next on all the installer screens without bothering to read what is on the screen and what they are agreeing to install.

Have a read of this and see if it helps. Don't worry if it doesn't mention the exact toolbar you have, the principles are the same.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remove-toolbar-has-taken-over-your-firefox-search
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find (or have heard of) 'salter'. There's a list of malicious toolbars here
    http://www.enigmasoftware.com/malicious-toolbars/

I stand by the advice given in the link in post 4 as it has helped me clear a lot of unwanted rubbish from a lot of PCs
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    A friend had a 'speedial' adware problem recently in IE, Firefox and Chrome. Malwarebytes could not get rid and ADW could not either completely .... it was the Junkware Removal tool that did the trick.