Options

When has the sing-off actually made a difference????

Kelli100Kelli100 Posts: 194
Forum Member
Many people seem to think that the sing-off is pointless and that the judges often base their elimination decisions on past performance, or who they think has the most potential. Has there ever been an occasion when you think the judges truly did make their decision based on the sing-off? Ruth Lorenzo singing 'Purple Rain' is the only time I can remember.

Comments

• Options
    Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the sing off is for more of a confirmation instead of saving the better one in the sing off..if someone is just about out the door...but kills the sing off...they stay, but the if an act completely blows the sing off...and the other does decent...the one that blows it goes...other than that... It doesn't matter...
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Ruth Vs Laura is the one time I can think of. Laura was very much one of the ones to beat in that year but Ruth smashed it so they had no choice
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Bruton being sent home over Daniel Evans was definitely about the sing off imo

Everyone assumed Daniel was leaving, then Scott was awful in the sing off and Daniel amazing
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luke vs Tamera - I'd imagine that it was planned for Tamera to go stay but Luke did his "Run" performance and Gary and Sharon went against the grain and saved him.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scott Bruton being sent home over Daniel Evans was definitely about the sing off imo

Everyone assumed Daniel was leaving, then Scott was awful in the sing off and Daniel amazing

The strange thing is that Jedward won a sing off Lucy Jones.

What was all that about Cowell ?
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's simple, Lucie was a threat to his Overs, he wanted his acts to have an easy run.

Similar to how Laura was a threat to Louis's own act JLS.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the weekend, Simon said it's a singing competition. At that point someone should have reminded him he put Jedward through over Lucy.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Luke vs Tamera - I'd imagine that it was planned for Tamera to go stay but Luke did his "Run" performance and Gary and Sharon went against the grain and saved him.

That was brilliant, Tamera was a terrible contestant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was brilliant, Tamera was a terrible contestant

Tamera blew it with her inability to remember lyrics every single time...
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    The strange thing is that Jedward won a sing off Lucy Jones.

What was all that about Cowell ?

I remember that well

Simon said that neither of them had any chance of winning the competition, so he would save the one who he felt the public would rather watch

He used that exact same reason when he sent home Phillip Magee over Chico (although tbf, Phillip was shit)
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    At the weekend, Simon said it's a singing competition. At that point someone should have reminded him he put Jedward through over Lucy.

Yeah - Lucy was rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember that well

Simon said that neither of them had any chance of winning the competition, so he would save the one who he felt the public would rather watch

He used that exact same reason when he sent home Phillip Magee over Chico (although tbf, Phillip was shit)

In other words,. the sing off was a farce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Luke was amazing in that sing off but I think the plan was for Tamera to get through but Luke had to go through after it.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Kelli100 wrote: »
    Many people seem to think that the sing-off is pointless and that the judges often base their elimination decisions on past performance, or who they think has the most potential. Has there ever been an occasion when you think the judges truly did make their decision based on the sing-off? Ruth Lorenzo singing 'Purple Rain' is the only time I can remember.

And 'Knockin on Heaven's door'.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Ruth Lorenzo was the ultimate bottom 2 contestant. Those were the performance that were worth waiting for. Especially as it seemed they wanted Rachel "Amy Winehouse" Hylton to be the successful one from the overs category that series.

I completely agree with the OP. Ruth's performance of Purple Rain is easily one of the best vocal performances I've ever seen in 10 years of X Factor UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...I will argue that Katie Waissel is the ultimate bottom 2 contestant...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol...I will argue that Katie Waissel is the ultimate bottom 2 contestant...

Nah, she was crap even in those bottom 2 performances.

"y'know what, sod it **falls to floor** pleaaaasssee, plleeeeaaaaasse, just...**cue fake tears**...pleeaassse".

Yes, please stop. :D Ruth was a far superior singer imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Nah, she was crap even in those bottom 2 performances.

"y'know what, sod it **falls to floor** pleaaaasssee, plleeeeaaaaasse, just...**cue fake tears**...pleeaassse".

Yes, please stop. :D Ruth was a far superior singer imo.

Lol...Katie was survived more sing offs than anyone else..ultimate bottom 2 contestant...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol...Katie was survived more sing offs than anyone else..ultimate bottom 2 contestant...;-)

Oh, I know that but it's just Ruth Lorenzo's bottom 2 performances were always better than the crap song choices Dannii kept giving her for the main shows.

Katie Waissel could've been in the bottom 2 every week and put through until she made the semi final. She would've still been consistently crap. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I know that but it's just Ruth Lorenzo's bottom 2 performances were always better than the crap song choices Dannii kept giving her for the main shows.

Katie Waissel could've been in the bottom 2 every week and put through until she made the semi final. She would've still been consistently crap. :p

Still...even then...the fact that survives that many makes her the ultimate...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ruth Lorenzo was the ultimate bottom 2 contestant. Those were the performance that were worth waiting for. Especially as it seemed they wanted Rachel "Amy Winehouse" Hylton to be the successful one from the overs category that series.

I completely agree with the OP. Ruth's performance of Purple Rain is easily one of the best vocal performances I've ever seen in 10 years of X Factor UK.

It wasn't good enough to persuade 3 'judges' to vote for her. She survived on the deadlock.
  • Options
    MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought Gary saved Tamera and it went to deadlock? I may be remembering wrong!